Sat Nav in Spain (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Making a fairly major tour of Spain and relying on my 3yr old Tom Tom, we encountered major problems in just about every city. From San Sebastion on, the roads on TomTom bore little relation to the many new city roads. I could (should?) have paid £60+ pounds a year for updates but being too tight with cash, suffered the consequences. The answer was to buy a new Garmin with the lifetime updates that Tom Tom included just after we bought it. I could not justify buying the 'Caravan' model at over £300. Has anyone had problems in Spain with their Garmin.? I have ordered a Nuvi 2699 LMT.
Alan

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
For years I a nuvi250 with the updates - which at the time was a one-off payment. Totally reliable everywhere we went and I still use it in the car. For the van I was given a TomTom Live 1005 which I now update every year and I'm more than happy with it. However I tend not to rely on satnavs too much and always have a map handy.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Our old Garmin Nuvi 500 tried to take us down one side of the Harbour at Cartagena then onto a pier before announcing "Navigate off Road" as the Fort we were attempting to go to was on the other side. The Nuvi would also try to take us down narrow streets, as it was a car satnav and not customisable for larger vehicles. It got affected by lightning. It now starts every time at Estepona and tries to route to Gibraltar as a default, a further problem was it lost a lot of its memory capacity.

We now have the Dezl Truck satnav 7" screen and it had avoided routing us through the centre of towns. It has Truck, also a with trailer option. Motorhome, Motorhome with trailer. We set the length, width, height and vehicle weight or train weight. Setting these options it will take different routes to a desired location. Well worth the bit extra.

I have looked at Tom Tom and think the Garmin mapping is so much clearer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oddly, no issues in Spain with our new garmin ( the one we got from Lidl ) but here in the UK it has stuck us up some roads not even suitable for a push bike !

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have found my Garmin Nuvi very reliable in Spain except for unknown reasons around Burgos o_O

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
I've got a garmin nuvi 2598 LMT-D, and have used it a lot in Spain, sadly it does send you the most direct route, which caught us out a bit near Kiko Park, we use an ipad with maps.me running offline to back up the sat nav. I've been looking at the Garmin camper 760, but it gets very mixed reviews, now it could be that people aren't setting it up properly, but I don't know anyone who has one, so I'm not convinced yet either way

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Making a fairly major tour of Spain and relying on my 3yr old Tom Tom, we encountered major problems in just about every city. From San Sebastion on, the roads on TomTom bore little relation to the many new city roads. I could (should?) have paid £60+ pounds a year for updates but being too tight with cash, suffered the consequences. The answer was to buy a new Garmin with the lifetime updates that Tom Tom included just after we bought it. I could not justify buying the 'Caravan' model at over £300. Has anyone had problems in Spain with their Garmin.? I have ordered a Nuvi 2699 LMT.
Alan
Probably too late now but you can still get the 760 Camper for £179.99 in Aldi stores (they will transfer between branches if your local store doesn't have one). Probably not much more than the 2699 costs.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Though I have not found it a great problem, as I tend to avoid motorways abroad, and that seems to be where the new roads are built. I have noticed that my TomTom in particular seems to have out of date maps, even if you update them every time a new one comes out, usually quarterly, it seems to be years before some of the new roads appear on the SatNav. I have only updated my Snooper once in the 5 years I have had it and it seems just as up to date as the TomTom.

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Probably too late now but you can still get the 760 Camper for £179.99 in Aldi stores (they will transfer between branches if your local store doesn't have one). Probably not much more than the 2699 costs.

Whoops! I did not see this one coming.... Drat! My Garmin arrives today.
Last date was in March I think and was then £199

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Our old Garmin Nuvi 500 tried to take us down one side of the Harbour at Cartagena then onto a pier before announcing "Navigate off Road" as the Fort we were attempting to go to was on the other side. The Nuvi would also try to take us down narrow streets, as it was a car satnav and not customisable for larger vehicles. It got affected by lightning. It now starts every time at Estepona and tries to route to Gibraltar as a default, a further problem was it lost a lot of its memory capacity.

We now have the Dezl Truck satnav 7" screen and it had avoided routing us through the centre of towns. It has Truck, also a with trailer option. Motorhome, Motorhome with trailer. We set the length, width, height and vehicle weight or train weight. Setting these options it will take different routes to a desired location. Well worth the bit extra.

I have looked at Tom Tom and think the Garmin mapping is so much clearer.

How did we manage with just a map years ago,,,BUSBY.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
How did we manage with just a map years ago,,,BUSBY.
We got lost ..... and probably enjoyed it more. :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back