Sat Nav Help (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2012
doncaster
Funster No
MH
a class
Hi there, sorry if this subject has been covered before but, i ve recentley had a close brush with a low bridge. Can anyone suggest a suitable Sat Nav for motorhomes. please bear in mind that cost is an issue. It will be used in Europe and i want free map updates. Any advice comrades.?.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
None of the Motorhome specific sat navs are guaranteed 100% and many only cover major roads.

So you’d still need to proceed with care. Better maybe to stick with the one you’ve got and save the expense.

Edit; just copied this from the Garmin website

Entering your vehicle’s profile characteristics does not guarantee your vehicle’s characteristics will be accounted for in all route suggestions. Always defer to all posted road signs and road conditions.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As Robert says none infallible, had mine set to Lorry and in France tried to take me under a 2m bridge set it to Car and it avoided the bridge. You just have to use them with a bit of common sense and don't rely on them a 100%.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Garmin Dezl , have found very good , in Europe and UK , it will warn you at start of route if there are conflicts with specified parameters that it cant avoid eg 7.5 ton weight limit on road near destination . But like any use of sat nav its a guide not an order :)
ebay in £200- £350 region .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Entering your vehicle’s profile characteristics does not guarantee your vehicle’s characteristics will be accounted for in all route suggestions. Always defer to all posted road signs and road conditions.
I think that would apply to ANY Sat Nav. Don't just blindly follow the Sat nav because even though you might update it today, the local authorities can and do change overnight, bring in lower speed limits and the Sat Nav can't do that. This would apply to ANY Sat nav system
I use the Garmin 660 Camper with life time updates (around 4 years apparently) and use in my Moho when using but generally in my wagon. Just set parameters and requirements (no toll roads, no U turns etc)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The first trip out with my latest one (over £1,000) tried to take me through a narrow low arch (in Ludlow) on our very first outing. If anyone has a SatNav that's never failed them, it's most probably due to good fortune rather than a good SatNav.
Many use the same data (mine uses Here maps) so are likely to have identical failings. Some software is better than others but cannot overcome duff data.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi there, sorry if this subject has been covered before but, i ve recentley had a close brush with a low bridge. Can anyone suggest a suitable Sat Nav for motorhomes. please bear in mind that cost is an issue. It will be used in Europe and i want free map updates. Any advice comrades.?.
I have recently purchased the 2017 Garmin Lmd 770. It's awesome and like all Sat Navs relevant to the asking price.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Another vote for Garmin; I have had a Dezl 560 for a few years now. Be aware that you do not need to buy a ‘camper’ version. You may get the truck model cheaper and they are the same without the camping poi files. I bought a truck version (before camper versions were available) and simply added my own choice of poi files: camping & caravan club, camping car infos, camper contact etc.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The first trip out with my latest one (over £1,000) tried to take me through a narrow low arch (in Ludlow) on our very first outing. If anyone has a SatNav that's never failed them, it's most probably due to good fortune rather than a good SatNav.
Many use the same data (mine uses Here maps) so are likely to have identical failings. Some software is better than others but cannot overcome duff data.
Well my current Garmin is the only one that takes me correctly to Wigton via Carlisle. Lots don't.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
PLease tell me the name of your Sat Nav that you have paid over a £1000.00 for! Perhaps I have misread your post as I'm a little trollied now after spending quality time with my loved one's

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
PLease tell me the name of your Sat Nav that you have paid over a £1000.00 for! Perhaps I have misread your post as I'm a little trollied now after spending quality time with my loved one's

An optional extra from the manufacturer of the vehicle perhaps. (One of those occasions when price doesn't create value)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@bobski. Nozatec Chinese Truck Sat Nav, with the all important ftr (Truck) files. (y)

I've been using one for about four years now, as have others on FUN, and providing you have the magic ftr files, it will not send you wrong, having programmed in your correct dimensions and weights. (y)
It has served me better than either of the two TomToms I've had, one of which had Truck maps on it.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I
I have recently purchased the 2017 Garmin Lmd 770. It's awesome and like all Sat Navs relevant to the asking price.
I bought one around five weeks ago after my Garmin drivelux was suggesting unsuitable roads in Wales. The 770 has taken us through the remainder of Wales and up to Scotland and back through Yorkshire with very good routing and when it didn’t know a Road was good for us st least it warned us. All in all I am very impressed with it. Incidentally I do occasionally set up a route in camper mode then change to car mode to see if there is a difference. There very often is and when I check on a physical map the camper mode is usually well planned.
Of course I treat it as an aid to navigation and not the gospel, so far we good still friends.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Pioneer (can't remember the model). It's a "media centre", too, but I don't use that bit.
My point was that even expensive units may use the same data as cheap ones. There is a limited number of data sources.
I had Snooper for several years before, which I think also used Here data and gave me a few incorrect routes.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I'm on a Blaupunkt Philadelphia Media Centre that uses Naviextras data and it's quite brilliant, I would like to replace the Blaupunkt because of other issues but I cannot find another that offers Naviextras for the Navigation.

I also have a Garmin 660 Camper that I keep for back up but it doesn't compare with Naviextras software and will be sold when I return to UK

OP
OP
bobski
Jan 30, 2012
doncaster
Funster No
MH
a class
I have a Tom Tom at present and I can have the camper version download for seventy quid, would that be a good option?.

OP
OP
bobski
Jan 30, 2012
doncaster
Funster No
MH
a class
@bobski. Nozatec Chinese Truck Sat Nav, with the all important ftr (Truck) files. (y)

I've been using one for about four years now, as have others on FUN, and providing you have the magic ftr files, it will not send you wrong, having programmed in your correct dimensions and weights. (y)
It has served me better than either of the two TomToms I've had, one of which had Truck maps on it.

Cheers,

OP
OP
bobski
Jan 30, 2012
doncaster
Funster No
MH
a class

Cheers,

Hi jock, is that one of the unbranded ones on eBay?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I have a Tom Tom at present and I can have the camper version download for seventy quid, would that be a good option?.

Works for me on a TT via 120, however you do not get lifetime maps or Traffic. I find its routing usually better than the Garmin 660 lmd-t Camper unit I have. The latest Tomtom units seem to have a better Traffic facility than on the Garmin or the older TT units that used the RDS system which maybe what you have with yours.

Doug

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi jock, is that one of the unbranded ones on eBay?
Yes Bob. The inbuilt memories on them are bigger now though, and although they will tell you that they have the latest 2017 maps, the maps DO NOT contain the ftr (Truck) files, however, it's not hard to get the correct files and update the maps yourself. I (like others) bought from a seller called "navibuzz", and the units are despatched from somewhere in Glasgow.

All my truck maps are on the micro SD card, ie, 4Gb inbuilt memory, and a 12 Gb Micro SD card. I copied my Truck maps on to @Terry's unit for him. Unfortunately, he couldn't get on with it.................but I'm not convinced that the unit was the problem. ;)

We have a very skilled member on here who whizzes through the files and updates for folks, when asked nicely. ;)

Cheers,

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well my current Garmin is the only one that takes me correctly to Wigton via Carlisle. Lots don't.
I thought I knew that area but obviously there's something I've forgotten, not unusual. :) if I was going to Wigton from the south I would turn off the M6 and go through Hutton in the Forest. Are there hazards I've forgotten about on that route?

(Born and brought up around Carlisle and father born in Wigton - he wasn't responsible for the smell before anyone asks. :))

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I

I bought one around five weeks ago after my Garmin drivelux was suggesting unsuitable roads in Wales. The 770 has taken us through the remainder of Wales and up to Scotland and back through Yorkshire with very good routing and when it didn’t know a Road was good for us st least it warned us. All in all I am very impressed with it. Incidentally I do occasionally set up a route in camper mode then change to car mode to see if there is a difference. There very often is and when I check on a physical map the camper mode is usually well planned.
Of course I treat it as an aid to navigation and not the gospel, so far we good still friends.

I have a Garmin where you can input your dimensions, after a few trips I have disabled the function and reverted to using my eyes. Not only does the Gps tell me I can't use roads that I know for certain that I can, but more importantly I fear it's turning me into some kind of mindless droid.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs

Cheers,

I've been using that one too. The only downside to mine is it will not tell you to do a u turn so will reroute you miles. If you notice you have gone the wrong way it's best to turn when possible and let it reroute again.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I struggled long and hard to decide between the 7" Garmin and Aguri motorhome models. Both costing close tho £300. I finally decided on the Aguri but frequently regret it! It frequently decides it is going to stop working, but at least has the decency to give me a message to say " navigation system has stopped working". It also frequently reboots itself for no apparent reason, of course always just when you need it. The software is up to date. It regularly updates on the wifi. It works well other than when it stops working ( if that makes sense), but we tend to have Google maps ready as a back up

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
I've been using a Garmin since returning to the Motorhome fold. Although I do like it, I have noticed that for some reason it tends to "freak out" at times. To try to explain.

Most of my destinations are in Sweden, Germany, and Denmark. As examples. Travelling past Copenhagen airport it always tells me to take the wrong route to the bridge. Around US military bases in southern Germany, co-ordinates dont work. Addresses must be used. On one occasion, co-ordinates placed me 50 miles wrong! The address put me right!

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
@irnbru Connect your satnav to a pc and look for the sys.txt file in the main folder and open it with a text editor (notebook) you will find a statement like this:

[route]
allow_uturn=0

change the 0 to a 1 and save the changes you should be told to do a u turn in future.

Lunarman

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I had the Tom Tom Camper and it was brilliant, especially in Europe. However, the killer is the payments for map updates, and services which includes your speed camera locations. You would be better of financially by buying a new model with free lifetime updates.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back