Sat nav help ... Please (1 Viewer)

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Hello knowledgable peoples! :)
I have decided the time is right to invest in a new system.
I have been mostly happy with Snooper Truckmate but the little devil has taken me down some narrow lanes at times and has contributed to more toilet paper purchase than I bargained for!
So, I want to start afresh and see what is/might be recommended from you bright intelligent Funsters! :)
My list of preferred features would be....
5" or 7" screen
Dash mount
Free lifetime map updates for UK, Northern Ireland & Europe
Free lifetime traffic updates
Correct lane positioning ( UK & EU)
The ability to send me in the right direction in EU

You might well tell me to, "Dream on" .... :D
But thank you anyway!
Tackle man :reel:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Only reservation I have about the Garmin is the so called full European coverage.
It is SUPPOSED to be on my new 660LM ( Almost £400 quids worth ) and it is not..
An awful lot of it is but an awful lot of places are main roads only :(

Check that they have now actually included ALL of Europe and not just the big bits !!

Other that that, I have a total of 5 Garmin units.. all work and have worked very well indeed.
And the customer back up really makes Tomtom look like some back street outfit !

Having said that I am currently running a Tomtom 1005 Live and a Garmin in the motorhome..
One for routing and one for LPG points, camp sites, aires etc etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Only reservation I have about the Garmin is the so called full European coverage.
It is SUPPOSED to be on my new 660LM ( Almost £400 quids worth ) and it is not..
An awful lot of it is but an awful lot of places are main roads only :(

Check that they have now actually included ALL of Europe and not just the big bits !!

Other that that, I have a total of 5 Garmin units.. all work and have worked very well indeed.
And the customer back up really makes Tomtom look like some back street outfit !

Having said that I am currently running a Tomtom 1005 Live and a Garmin in the motorhome..
One for routing and one for LPG points, camp sites, aires etc etc
Thank you Jaws!
It's the fors and against that I need to collect. (y)

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Aldi are doing these this Thursday £89, what do people think , lane assist and lifetime updates??
Sat Nav Garmin Nuvi 55 LMT WE

OP
OP
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Thanks Busman.
My problem might be, what I save on the Sat nav might be offset by toilet paper cost! :Eeek:

Last edited by a moderator:
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I bought a garmin 3490 last year, it wast cheap and I takes us on so many stupid white roads that are actually longer than the main roads. So, after one year of ownership it is going in the bin as we can't trust it.

Looking for a new one so will watch this thread.

OP
OP
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
I bought a garmin 3490 last year, it wast cheap and I takes us on so many stupid white roads that are actually longer than the main roads. So, after one year of ownership it is going in the bin as we can't trust it.

Looking for a new one so will watch this thread.
We will be guided together Nervanauk! :)(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Garmin 2547 @ under £100. lifetime mapping, takes 3rd party POI (not all do!) no traffic thats why its cheap, but in london where I live so much congestion traffic useless anyway and even abroad find it useless. Have spent much more on sat navs in the past..this does what I want. You can plan your trips On a PC and download to device using Basecamp or Mapsource. (there may be newer better models now)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Stick with your phone, better than any satnav, and if you get a nokia windows phone they have compleatly internet free satnav , works even if you have no credit just been 3540 miles around France Italy and Spain, never a wrong road but if you have a three feel at home you can have it roaming all the time for free

OP
OP
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Stick with your phone, better than any satnav, and if you get a nokia windows phone they have compleatly internet free satnav , works even if you have no credit just been 3540 miles around France Italy and Spain, never a wrong road
That's interesting.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Tackleman, I have a tomtom camper /caravan much the same as your snooper truckmate, it will take you down narrow lanes /roads ,( as will nearly all satnavs ) because unless the road is designated 6ft 6 inch or similar it/they presume its a normal size road. It's just a case of using your eyes and common sense if it looks tight go past and sat nav will redirect you another way.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I know how you feel tackleman.
We arrived at Honfleur a couple of hours ago,my van is covered in mud!
Nobody else's is.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
If Garmin are good enough for the US military then they are good enough for me. I have a Nuvi 2545 with European cover and lifetime maps. Works well in UK and France. Shows incredibly accurate image of approaching main road junctions and lane assist image as well. Even in France it is spot on where speed limits change.
Good customer service, when I had a USB socket problem I was asked to return it, I had a replacement by return 2 days later.

OP
OP
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
If Garmin are good enough for the US military then they are good enough for me. I have a Nuvi 2545 with European cover and lifetime maps. Works well in UK and France. Shows incredibly accurate image of approaching main road junctions and lane assist image as well. Even in France it is spot on where speed limits change.
Good customer service, when I had a USB socket problem I was asked to return it, I had a replacement by return 2 days later.
Good info thanks Larby!(y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I've had a Garmin 560LMT for 18 months now - it replaced a 250 Nüvi. The 560 is not perfect but it is pretty good in my opinion. I had a few odd routes in France a couple of weeks ago but in Holland last year and in France last autumn it was excellent. Don't forget that whatever you get will not be able to take account of small roads where the mapping database contains no data (mostly NavTech maps). At least the 560 warns you when it has no 'trucking' information. Also, if your programmed destination can only be reached via narrow roads, the Garmin will take you down them.

OP
OP
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
I've had a Garmin 560LMT for 18 months now - it replaced a 250 Nüvi. The 560 is not perfect but it is pretty good in my opinion. I had a few odd routes in France a couple of weeks ago but in Holland last year and in France last autumn it was excellent. Don't forget that whatever you get will not be able to take account of small roads where the mapping database contains no data (mostly NavTech maps). At least the 560 warns you when it has no 'trucking' information. Also, if your programmed destination can only be reached via narrow roads, the Garmin will take you down them.
Good info JeanLuc, thanks!:giggle:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
On a serious snooper note for a mo - I've had mine 3 years with a 33'rv, 55' 5th wheel rig and now the 8m Burstner tag axle and it's never caused me to need the loo roll!
I have the dimensions and weight set at more than I actually am just to be on the safe side - maybe try that??
Put yourself in at 7.5t and 8' wide and 35' long and see if it gives you a more comfortable routing. (y)

OP
OP
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
On a serious snooper note for a mo - I've had mine 3 years with a 33'rv, 55' 5th wheel rig and now the 8m Burstner tag axle and it's never caused me to need the loo roll!
I have the dimensions and weight set at more than I actually am just to be on the safe side - maybe try that??
Put yourself in at 7.5t and 8' wide and 35' long and see if it gives you a more comfortable routing. (y)
Thanks Dave, I must admit I had wondered about upping the size and weight on the sat nav.
I am airing towards another Snooper. (y)

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Chaser can you please tell me where to find it on my Nokia windows phone. Thanks Barrie

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Chaser can you tell me how to find it on my Nokia phone please. Barrie

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Hold your water! Next Mondays Gadget Show on 5 is reviewing satnags.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back