LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If you were having a complete new "Automatic Sat Dish" fitted to your motorhome....

Which would you choose for home and abroad ??

Thanks.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well Mo, I have the Oyster on the RV,which has been nothing but trouble from day one and a Kathrien manual on my VW,which I can watch TV within 2 minutes of parking up.Am of the opinion that auto sat dishes are a very expensive waste of money but am sure many will not agree.If your thinking of traveling to Southern Spain,none of them work well.On the other hand with an RV I would imagine most of your time would be spent on campsites so hookup to there 2 metre dish. IMO mobile sat dishes are only useful for off campsite locations, if using campsites its much more sense to use theirs.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
If you were having a complete new "Automatic Sat Dish" fitted to your motorhome....

Which would you choose for home and abroad ??

Thanks.

We have a KVH Dome, which we were assured would work with our Sky + anywhere north of Barcelona - it doesn't!!

The Dome is great in UK and France. We have an external 80cm dish which works a treat in Santa Suzanna, but we will need a much larger dish to get sky when we go to southern Spain.

Does anyone know what size dish we will need, and the best place to purchase one??

Ginny and Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We had an Oyster on a previous RV and st finding was patchy. We have a Neta dome which in UK performs well , have not tried it across the water yet. We also carry an 80cm dish in case of sheltered situations on site.
I believe for southern Spain you will need a 1200mm dish to get Astra 28e

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Well Mo, I have the Oyster on the RV,which has been nothing but trouble from day one and a Kathrien manual on my VW,which I can watch TV within 2 minutes of parking up.Am of the opinion that auto sat dishes are a very expensive waste of money but am sure many will not agree.If your thinking of traveling to Southern Spain,none of them work well.On the other hand with an RV I would imagine most of your time would be spent on campsites so hookup to there 2 metre dish. IMO mobile sat dishes are only useful for off campsite locations, if using campsites its much more sense to use theirs.

Strange,,,, We have or had an "Oyster" on the RV we have just sold and it worked superb. And we never had a problem from the day we bought the RV. UK..France and well down into Spain..

But the further we got into South - South/West Spain it didn`t or the slightest breeze and we lost picture,,, so we carry a 1.8mtr dish & tripod for the dodgey area`s,, and most of the time it worked but very limited channels.

As you say a lot of the bigger sites do have a Sat/TV hook up..

Thanks for your input,, just testing the water to see if there is anything superior to Oyster.. :thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Any body got a "Neta Dome", the same as Larrynwin`s that can give some idea`s how it works in Southern France/Spain ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mazzaH

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 08
Exp
Comas or not

Has anybody experience of Comas automatic dome dishes - I know they are £500 cheaper than Oyster domes?

Alternatively what about the flat Oyster Caro triangle that is a good deal cheaper than their dome?

I realise that often person A says "great" and person B says "rubbish", but please post your experience

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
I have a Camos 40cm dome fitted on my m/h. It has worked well all over Uk and as far south as I have travelled in France to Bordeau. As soon as I stop and turn the power on your can hear the buzz as the system tracks to find the signal and then a few minor buzzes as it locks on to the satelite and thats it ready in 20 seconds.

Robert

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back