Sat dish upgrade advice please (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We have a Teleco 85cm rooftop sat dish feeding through an old pace box. We can receive good tv as far as Bairitz but no further. Can we upgrade our system in anyway to receive tv well into Spain without subscribing to anyone like Sky etc.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
You need a bigger dish simply.

The footprint was moved northward a few years back and meant when in southern France etc, they weren’t big enough anymore.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
We have a Teleco 85cm rooftop sat dish feeding through an old pace box. We can receive good tv as far as Bairitz but no further. Can we upgrade our system in anyway to receive tv well into Spain without subscribing to anyone like Sky etc.
Actually you can receive some English FTA channels in Spain. You need an Icecrypt decoder and be able to lock on to Intelsat 907. We have both and get all 5 channels and Sky News

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Actually you can receive some English FTA channels in Spain. You need an Icecrypt decoder and be able to lock on to Intelsat 907. We have both and get all 5 channels and Sky News

I stand corrected. ?

Sorry Willjoy.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I stand corrected. ?

Sorry Willjoy.
Actually you are partly correct. The Intelsat route is flakey at best as it was launched a long time ago and was intended to be switched off in 2015

It is also illegal to use, and carries potential fines and confiscation.

Getting to a point where data is so cheap it is easier to watch on demand when you want it.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
That's ok. Someone may know of a magical remedy.

You've already been told the magical remedy in post #3 (but see Eddie's post above).

You can also pick up some English progs on Astra 1 when in Spain. We watch F1 motor racing in German.

PEM

Jun 5, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
We are currently in Portugal and can get all channels we want using a Vodafone 100gb sim and a firestick with BBC I player ITV hub and all other UK TV apps works great on either catch up or live TV date lasts all month but make sure you change settings to sd or your data just disappears

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
An 85cm dish should be able to receive UK TV channels in all of Spain...
Mainly those on the Astra 2 European beam...nice and easy to receive...
But those on the Uk beam (channels like BBC ITV C4 Five, UKTV, SD Discovery, BTSports), are harder to receive, and required dish size can very (from 85cm to 5m), depending where exactly you are in Spain.

Actually you are partly correct. The Intelsat route is flakey at best as it was launched a long time ago and was intended to be switched off in 2015

Getting to a point where data is so cheap it is easier to watch on demand when you want it.

I907 will move from 27.5 in "early 2020"....and will be replaced by I901, with its MEV "powerpack" to extend its lifespan and continue 27.5 transmissions... Reception will depend on what I901 beams are going to be like, and if they are similar to I907....and if satback remains on similar beams...which will not be known until it is operational...

I907 currently carries approx 15 uk tv channels, most BBC channels (1,2,4,cbbc, cbeebies, news, parliament, itv1, c4, five)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I907 will move from 27.5 in "early 2020"....and will be replaced by I901, with its MEV "powerpack" to extend its lifespan and continue 27.5 transmissions... Reception will depend on what I901 beams are going to be like, and if they are similar to I907....and if satback remains on similar beams...which will not be known until it is operational...

is that the same as a " BB Code Unfurl option"!!!! :whistle2::getmecoat:

• Funny
Reactions: DBK
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class

Could you please explain why you consider it illegal?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You have not paid for the service, you are illegally decrypting an encrypted service not intended for public use

It is called signal theft and you can be prosecuted for doing it.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hmmm.... interesting take on it and I get the clampdown on illegal streaming on Kodi boxes of copyright material etc but I very much doubt it would apply to the UK channels from 27.5 West.
Firstly as a UK resident and a Tv licence payer we are entitled to view those channels, via Iplayer, DTV or a sat signal. The channels from Intelsat are a back up feed for the the UK transmitters, in the event of a link failure they switch to the Intelsat signal. Watching that signal is merely getting delivered in a different manner, not watching something you shouldn't be as if you hadn't the right to view it.... such as a downloaded film from a dodgy server.
The multiple bars showing Sky Sports in Spain and other areas are for sure on dodgy ground as Sky own the rights to show those games in the UK and Eire, not in Spain. That is a rights issue for sure and Sky may one day have to clamp down on, but they like the income so they are not keen to loose that.
The signals from Intelsat are "soft encrypted", if they really didn't want us to view them they could easily change the encryption to something a lot more secure..... as most broadcasters in the world do.
"Signal Theft" is an issue, SES have an interesting article here:
But it is about something very different than a Uk viewer watching UK Tv he / she is entitled to legally view.
Watching BBC1 via Intesat whilst in Spain is actually no different than streaming it via Iplayer, the only difference is the delivery method, the content is the same.
I will take my chances with Intelsat if I feel the need... and for info an Intelsat (several birds over the years ) has been resident at 27.5 west longer than the 23 years I was in the Sat industry. Whether BBC etc choose to continue using in the future it is another question altogether...

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hmmm.... interesting take on it and I get the clampdown on illegal streaming on Kodi boxes of copyright material etc but I very much doubt it would apply to the UK channels from 27.5 West.
Firstly as a UK resident and a Tv licence payer we are entitled to view those channels, via Iplayer, DTV or a sat signal. The channels from Intelsat are a back up feed for the the UK transmitters, in the event of a link failure they switch to the Intelsat signal. Watching that signal is merely getting delivered in a different manner, not watching something you shouldn't be as if you hadn't the right to view it.... such as a downloaded film from a dodgy server.
The multiple bars showing Sky Sports in Spain and other areas are for sure on dodgy ground as Sky own the rights to show those games in the UK and Eire, not in Spain. That is a rights issue for sure and Sky may one day have to clamp down on, but they like the income so they are not keen to loose that.
The signals from Intelsat are "soft encrypted", if they really didn't want us to view them they could easily change the encryption to something a lot more secure..... as most broadcasters in the world do.
"Signal Theft" is an issue, SES have an interesting article here:
But it is about something very different than a Uk viewer watching UK Tv he / she is entitled to legally view.
Watching BBC1 via Intesat whilst in Spain is actually no different than streaming it via Iplayer, the only difference is the delivery method, the content is the same.
I will take my chances with Intelsat if I feel the need... and for info an Intelsat (several birds over the years ) has been resident at 27.5 west longer than the 23 years I was in the Sat industry. Whether BBC etc choose to continue using in the future it is another question altogether...
You could always run past your theory past F.A.C.T and get the official position ? The actual crime is illegal decryption of a service that you have not been given permission to use. There isn’t any “Greyness” about it.

The licence position regarding the BBC is often used, incorrectly, the BBC won’t even allow you to watch TV in your caravan or Motorhome if some on is still at the licence address.

I am not saying don’t use it, I just wouldn’t say that I used it, on the biggest and best motorhome forum in Europe?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You need a bigger dish simply.

The footprint was moved northward a few years back and meant when in southern France etc, they weren’t big enough anymore.
No that’s not correct we have an 85cm Oyster and with a sky box can receive English programs along the Southern coast of Spain what you need is AutoSkew fitted it makes a lot of difference.?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As someone else has suggested the decision has to be fork out a fair bit on new sat kit or use mobile internet maybe even just for the bits where you can't get a sat signal now the cost comparison will be interesting mobile internet/firesticks are dead cheap I don't think a sat system has any real value at trade in/sale.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
You could always run past your theory past F.A.C.T and get the official position ? The actual crime is illegal decryption of a service that you have not been given permission to use. There isn’t any “Greyness” about it.

The licence position regarding the BBC is often used, incorrectly, the BBC won’t even allow you to watch TV in your caravan or Motorhome if some on is still at the licence address.

I am not saying don’t use it, I just wouldn’t say that I used it, on the biggest and best motorhome forum in Europe?

No one in our house when we are away so perfectly legal to watch the BBC when in the van. Many kids at Uni (not all mine) watch catch up on a laptop without mains lead connected, a proven grey area.
Any court cases where F.A.C.T have nicked anyone for receiving signals from Intelsat satback service?

And as said before, it is soft encrypted and not actually scrambled. The dodgy boilers streaming the signals over the Ether have actually paid for the service, it is the redistribution of the Tv service for gain or revenue that is the issue. Not the watching of that service by the legitimate subscriber.
Seen many people "done" by Sky etc in the past, never a couple in a motorhome watching "Strictly" on the Satback feed... that really would make headlines in the Daily Stun.
And just to be completely clear I didn't say I did use it, just that "I would take my chances if I felt the need".

Saying "it is a crime" and "it is illegal" with proof is quite a strong statement. That was my point...

If someone was using the feed to distribute the signal across the Costas for revenue that may indeed catch the attention of F.A.C.T, Mrs Strictly Fan watching the catch up on Saturday night in her van is hardly a high priority on copyright infringement.
Given the Sat feed is a one way signal it would be very tricky to prove you had been watching 27.5 West and not brushing up on your Spanish, whilst looking at Spanish TV on Hispasat located 2.5 degrees away to the west.
We all have choices in life, as long as those choices don't hurt anyone else all is good.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Sorry Typo... it should have been..
Saying "it is a crime" and "it is illegal" without proof is quite a strong statement. That was my point..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We are currently in Portugal and can get all channels we want using a Vodafone 100gb sim and a firestick with BBC I player ITV hub and all other UK TV apps works great on either catch up or live TV date lasts all month but make sure you change settings to sd or your data just disappears
Same here,,100gb Vodaphone 20 pounds a month which we also use as our main internet at home plus 20gbs on 3 dongle at 9 pounds a month as spare back up for the odd place Vodaphone doesn't work..Can get all uk tv using fire stick plus catch up..BUSBY.

Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
With a any 85cm dish get a icecrypt box and you will get uk tv anywhere in Europe

Aug 15, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
Since 2007

Aug 15, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi there,
It’s now possible to get 100gb of data for £20 per month incl unlimited calls and txt which makes a dish obsolete in my opinion as that will give you a minimum of 50hours tv abroad. Wish we had not had a dish fitted you our new conversion a year ago. We use an iPhone and an Apple TV adapter with and HDMI lead.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Sorry Typo... it should have been..
Saying "it is a crime" and "it is illegal" without proof is quite a strong statement. That was my point..
No worries, I knew what you mean’t(y) but it is defiantly illegal. Decoding a signal that you don’t have permission to use is a crime

Broken Link Removed

I always make people aware, as there are people in my industry that offer the service as if it were legal, who will, no doubt, quickly disappear again or start yet another “Phoenix” company should the customer get prosecuted.

I possibly use it, but would allow my staff to actually set a system up, or add the BISS codes when we install a satellite system, as we could be implicated

I am not saying it’s a “major” crime, but feel that when it’s discussed as an alternative, people need to at least know that it is signal theft.

Personally I watch on demand 90% of the time at home or away.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
No worries, I knew what you mean’t(y) but it is defiantly illegal. Decoding a signal that you don’t have permission to use is a crime

Exactly my point Eddie, we do have permission to use that signal as it is for us (Uk residents paying our licence fee) to view. In about 3 seconds that signal we have "intercepted" is switched around and re-transmitted over various platforms. Including Iplayer... so we may be parked up next to each other on a sunny pitch in Costa del not a lot, having a beer, talking tosh and watching the cricket (I don't do football). The only difference is that I will shout "Owzat" before you ;-)
By watching a BBC channel outside of the areas they are officially allowed to broadcast in due to copyright we both slightly "grey". .... well I am bald and grey but you get my drift.
Not sure what that link you posted gives? Someone writing an article covering their backside by posting "illegal" is hardly written in law.

I possibly use it, but would allow my staff to actually set a system up, or add the BISS codes when we install a satellite system, as we could be implicated

I think you did the typo this time...

Best we agree to disagree on the legality regarding viewing Intelsat (if you have a Tv licence and are a UK resident) before we choke this thread altogether.
Unless someone gets done in a court neither of us can be 100% certain.
As an aside ... I will be taking my spectrum analyser with me on my travels to foreign climes, just so I can squeeze every drop of signal out of whatever bird I am point at.
If you hear a bald fat bloke shout "Owzat" before the rest of the campsite I might just have pointed my dish "the wrong direction" ....
Vansflyer Out

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks. Where would you recommend buying one if these?
We are in Spain at the moment but can obtain one when I get back.
Very rare now as Paddy (Turbosat) who had them made pulled the plug some time ago.
This guy is showing stock on a model that may work, he has been in the game as long as me so you stand a chance of him telling you honestly if it will work or not. I have no idea if this version will or won't work.
Good Luck.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Exactly my point Eddie, we do have permission to use that signal as it is for us (Uk residents paying our licence fee) to view. In about 3 seconds that signal we have "intercepted" is switched around and re-transmitted over various platforms. Including Iplayer... so we may be parked up next to each other on a sunny pitch in Costa del not a lot, having a beer, talking tosh and watching the cricket (I don't do football). The only difference is that I will shout "Owzat" before you ;-)
By watching a BBC channel outside of the areas they are officially allowed to broadcast in due to copyright we both slightly "grey". .... well I am bald and grey but you get my drift.
Not sure what that link you posted gives? Someone writing an article covering their backside by posting "illegal" is hardly written in law.

I think you did the typo this time...

Best we agree to disagree on the legality regarding viewing Intelsat (if you have a Tv licence and are a UK resident) before we choke this thread altogether.
Unless someone gets done in a court neither of us can be 100% certain.
As an aside ... I will be taking my spectrum analyser with me on my travels to foreign climes, just so I can squeeze every drop of signal out of whatever bird I am point at.
If you hear a bald fat bloke shout "Owzat" before the rest of the campsite I might just have pointed my dish "the wrong direction" ....
Vansflyer Out
Nothing to agree to disagree about. It is illegal to decrypt a service you do not have permission to use.

Your TV licence does not entitle you to access the encrypted satback service, which is not intended to be used by the public.

The link wasn’t intended as evidence, just to show anyone that doesn’t understand what we’re chatting about, what’s what

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks. Where would you recommend buying one if these?
We are in Spain at the moment but can obtain one when I get back.

Just smiffy has this for sale

I am heading down to villasol for the 30th Dec and dont mind bringing one down with me if you are in that area, I use the Icecrypt S1600CHD box

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back