B764B9A7-7007-4724-BB65-A5A8439FB845.jpeg

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
You won't be going that far though Sandra or for that long, that is a huge difference compared to those travelling up from goodness knows how far down in England.
Right or wrong they are ignoring the rules that are still in place up here.
Also disobeying the rules in the rest of UK. Staying overnight is not allowed, unless in a “bubble“.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Also disobeying the rules in the rest of UK. Staying overnight is not allowed, unless in a “bubble“.
I would say that for a very short break it would be fine, you would be 'in your own bubble'.....it would be longer breaks that could cause problems because you need to empty your loo/grey water, fill with fresh and visit shops.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
As someone who lives on the NC500, do you think the huge increase in rental motorhomes is more of an issue than experienced motorhome owners?
Definitely, as most haven't a clue how to navigate single track roads. And some don't care what they do with their rubbish, I'm fed up going out on the motorbike and seeing bags of rubbish left in laybys and side of the road. Not to mention any other sort of waste.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
If nothing else the midges will hopefully change their minds(y):giggle: They are after all wee kranky's first line of defence against the sassenach invasion, they sure dont take any prisoners, when roamin in the gloamin.:giggle:
LES
The midges had been conspicuous by their absence this year Les.
A very dry sunny spring put paid to them for a while.
However, during this recent muggy thundery weather there has been very little breeze & boy did they get going again, I was bitten alive just moving from the motorhome to the back door, a distance of 15ft, I can't walk quickly now so the little beggars certainly ate their fill.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi Robert, I think unless people have experienced the midges for themselves, they really are in for a shock.
Brings back memories of camping on The Isle Of Sky on a secluded beach, at 5PM one evening seeing a cloud of what we thought was smoke coming along the beach toward us. It wasn't smoke of course it was midges,millions of them! we had to retreat to inside the cars and close all windows, they eat my the SIL to bits being fair skinned and the aftermath ruined the rest of her holiday.

When I had the caravan, I read of so many caravaners touring the highlands,being held "Hostage" inside their vans, they didnt dare go outside as they knew they would be eaten alive. I knew they were not joking.
I always asked myself, how anyone up there gets any work done, if its not raining, snowing or blowing a gale, the midges are out after the early spring, turns toward summer.
Then of course there are the Ticks to worry about also, walking through the bracken especially.
No way would I like to experience those conditions again, so its either early or late in the year for us to even consider going up there.
Cheers
LES

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Definitely, as most haven't a clue how to navigate single track roads. And some don't care what they do with their rubbish, I'm fed up going out on the motorbike and seeing bags of rubbish left in laybys and side of the road. Not to mention any other sort of waste.
You're not suggesting the authorities encouraged mass tourism, but didn't actually cater for their needs once they arrived are you? Never, I say, never... shocked...
::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
If you had seen the sh1t me and Mrs. TM have had to endure during lockdown, motorhomes heading out would be your last gripe.

So if you see me heading to the Tunnel or Brittany Ferries in a few weeks, no doubt you will be having a go at that.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sassenach
/ (ˈsæsəˌnæk, Scottish -næx) /
noun
Scot : Irish an English person or a Lowland Scot

I am not offended when referred to as such - it's like calling someone born within sight / smell of the River Tyne a Geordie.

ginscot

Free Member
Nov 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 610
Exp
Since 2005
I thought that might be the case - 50% tax on motorhome rental charges?

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I would say that for a very short break it would be fine, you would be 'in your own bubble'.....it would be longer breaks that could cause problems because you need to empty your loo/grey water, fill with fresh and visit shops.
In England overnighting is still not allowed otherwise we'd all be doing it.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
According to this map, you can drive it in just under 13 and a half hours, so technically they are just day trippers ? :giggle:
View attachment 400319
Reading some car and motorbike forums gives me the impression that everyone and their friends will be in Scotland this year..
When we drove the NC500 from East to West last spring, seeing the narrow parts, many, many blind corners, plus the undulations with the blind crests, I remember thinking if I had my fast car up here, I could never use its power or speed if I wanted to, as it would be far too dangerous, not just for me but everyone else also.
We then met a couple of mature chaps from the east end of London at a beauty spot, they were touring in their Turbo Porsche 911's. When they approached me and said they like our MH, I said yea its great, but then I asked them what was the point of doing The NC500 in their very fast cars, as I hadn't noticed any part that you really use the speed, plus its illegal, and many get injured by coming off the road every year, miles away from any medical assistance.
I will never forget the to me very surprising answer they gave me......

"Nah! mate! you can use the speed if you have a mate with you and a decent walkie talkie, we take it in turns, one goes ahead to check out the lie of the land,make sure its clear, then if all OK, radio's back and says yea its clear mate go for it!"
:doh::doh:
There will be hundreds doing it on high powered bikes, and fast cars, they even post on you tube I believe.
Surely a track day, would test the the cars and the driver ability much better, and for them the Nuremberg Ring, although they have probably done that one.
LES

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
When is the worst possible time to do the NC500? That's the time I will do it I think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back