Sargent EC600 Hab Electrics on at last, whilst the engine runs! (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2021
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 874
Exp
I've been installing some Victron kit this weekend and had some trouble doing so, although all seems sorted for now. The huge bonus that I've had is that after reading these forums (Thanks to Fun) last night to find a solution to my B2B issues I found a comment about the Hab electrics when the engine is running. I'm new to the motorhome world and never understood why the Hab electrics would shutdown when the engine starts? The first comment I saw suggested cutting the orange wire to the Sargent EC system, I couldn't find one. Then the next comment suggested the blue and white wire, which I found, cut and "Hey Presto"! It's a night to day moment for my motorhome. I've connected the cut blue and white wire through a switch just in case I need to restore the feed, but so far I see nothing that's lacking power. I'm so happy with the result and I'm sure my Grandchildren in the back will be too!!

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Any electrical device built into a motor vehicle has to be tested to ensure it does not interfere with the vehicle electrical equipment. In particular the possibility of interference by radio waves generated unintentionally, which is a real possibility for many modern chargers and DC supplies. The regulations say that it's not enough for the charger manufacturer to test it, the device must be tested in the situation it is built into, because sometimes the details of building-in causes a problem.

This testing is expensive and time-consuming. Other motorhome manufacturers outside the UK do the tests and allow habitation circuits to run while driving. For some reason British manufacturers, mostly evolved from caravan makers, take the short cut and arrange for all the habitation to cut off when the engine starts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Robb
Jan 2, 2021
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 874
Exp
Hi Geoff, The fridge 12 volt light is on, but the real test will be on Friday when I drive to Liverpool and open the fridge for a cool beer before getting on a ferry. If it is a problem I can think of many easy work arounds, but to have all the electrics off whilst driving makes no sense to me, although Autorouter explained the reasons well, thanks!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back