Sargent EC200 query ?? problem (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK Lunar Roadstar 800

Sargent EC200 PSU/Battery charger

Just gone to switch the battery charging on charger comes on but light flickers switch sounding as if it's sparking when it stays on no problems BUT it took a few attempts to get it to stay on even with the switch in ON if the light is off it doesn't charge

Can anyone suggest if I could probably replace the switch my self or does it need to be repaired by someone else

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Have a look yourself first. Behind the switch is a contact...Its a bugger for getting clogged with dust or stuff! Furry bits come to mind on our last one! Any way...remove and clean out ...It works and it saves a fortune!

Kev.......Trust me......it does work.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If it's the big red neon type. Easily obtained on many websites for a few quid. Those type often fail over time with general wear and heat.
The switch will prise out from the front panel with a flat blade like a knife. If you get a new switch you will see where the retaining spring back clips are. Easy then to replace by just pulling off the push on connectors.
OBVIOUS BUT REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT FROM THE MAINS FIRST ??

OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OBVIOUS BUT REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT FROM THE MAINS FIRST ??

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: That of course should be OBVIOUS

Thanks for that information wasn't certain of how the switch fitted, as I said on the last response the case itself is riveted together so wasn't sure of access

tomorrow will be checking the switch type to see if I have a spare in my millions of spares held in the loft

OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK
ALL of the above help is no help !!!!!

The switch does NOT pop out but is moulded as part of the casing
The casing is fixed by pop rivets in at least 12 places that I have found
and the back is also riveted on ...........

Anyone got any other idea or is this a phone Sargent jobbie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
OK
ALL of the above help is no help !!!!!

The switch does NOT pop out but is moulded as part of the casing
The casing is fixed by pop rivets in at least 12 places that I have found
and the back is also riveted on ...........

Anyone got any other idea or is this a phone Sargent jobbie
Remove rivets (3mm drill) replace switch, replace rivets? They're only pop-rivets. I'd be amazed if the switch was part of the casing (metal casing - plastic switch) although they can be difficult to remove without access to the rear. As an alternative break the switch to remove it, pick out the remnants, fit new switch. They fit from the front. Very like this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=233293820765

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This switch isn't front fitted and SWMBO refused to let me drill out the rivets but that looks the only way at present will photo the results after I've enjoyed my birthday tomorrow
Sounds good - enjoy :smiley: .

It may be that it is mounted internally and there's a cut-out in the casing. Either way drilling the rivets is the way to go.

OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Job Done
Despite the box saying no user serviceable parts rivets drilled out,
Switch removed replacement searched for and found - Ordered
Switch received and fitted
front pop riveted back on
all cabling replaced and unit fitted switched on fine charger switched on easily

NOW
B***dy fridge doesn't work on 240v error code 8 again so when it stops raining get the vents off and get the box out AGAIN

210bhp

Free Member
Apr 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar
Exp
I’m a newbie
Glad you got it fixed. I’m a newbie on here and was searching for an answer to my problem when I came across this thread.
Just picked my first M/H a lunar roadstar a day before lockdown so it’s been sat on my drive for three weeks. I was shown everything working before purchase including my Sargent EC200. Drove home 200 miles very happy with the M/H. I’ve been going through everything in the manuals getting to know the vehicle.
My problem is that I‘m not getting any sign of 240 volts when I hook up at home. The EC200 charger light does not come on when I switch it (it did at the point of purchase) and the leisure batteries only seem to be getting a charge from the solar panel. I have over 12 volts in them and also the engine battery and everything seems to work fine on12 volts. The test button on the EC200 (240 volt side) seems dead but I can hear the unit clicking when I turn anything on using the batteries. Have I blown a fuse somewhere on the 240 volt side hooking up or knackered the unit or maybe the charger switch is not working as above? I too noticed the box was riveted but before I go inside (is there an internal fuse do you think?) what else should I check first? i would imagine the first thing to check would be to see if 240 volts is arriving at the plug under the Sargent unit. will there be an in line fuse between the hook up point and the EC200?

Any help appreciated

Regards
Mike

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Hi Mike.
I assume you have checked the basic stuff first.

Do you have 240v at the sockets in the van? The answer will then decide your next step, such as check internal 240v fuss board and it’s breakers, then leading onto ehu lead check etc.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Work back to the van from where it's plugged into the mains and check everything. Or it could be as simple as the mains breaker could have tripped out and needs resetting in the van.

210bhp

Free Member
Apr 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thanks both,

There is no power at the 240 volt sockets in the van when I’m hooked up.
Where is the internal fuse board an mains breaker likely to be?

Regards
Mike

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
It will tend to be directly behind, or very close to where you plug your ehu in. Obviously the ehu plugs in outside and the fuse board will be inside.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Do you have any way of checking the ehu lead? These are a very common fail point where the wires have been pulled from the terminals inside the plugs.

210bhp

Free Member
Apr 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar
Exp
I’m a newbie
Ok, I have checked the ehu lead and all is fine.
I have been inside the M/H behind the ehu plug and as far as I can see the orange cable exits inside down under the floor and up to the EC200 inlet plug on the opposite side of the M/H and there is no sign of a mains breaker in that cable unless it is under the floor in a totally inaccessible place. I’m therefore assuming that the protection for the 240v side is inside the EC200. There are three 240v breakers on the exit side of the EC200 which are all ‘on’ but as I mentioned before the ‘test’ button on the unit does not produce a result and the charger switch does not illuminate. So I’m assuming I’m back to a fault in the EC200 and also assuming that if it is faulty the 240v three pin plugs in the M/H won’t receive power?
Next step inside the EC200?

thanks for your continued help.

Regards
Mike

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you have 240v going into your van and fuse box is working and set correctly the 240v sockets will work. It won’t be via EC200 in my experience

210bhp

Free Member
Apr 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar
Exp
I’m a newbie
Slight progress

After wiggling the plug inlet under the bottom of the EC200 the ‘test’ button now works.
However, I still have no 240v power in the M/H plug sockets and the charger switch on the unit still does not illuminate. Maybe the switch is faulty like madcaravanner.

Regards
Mike

210bhp

Free Member
Apr 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thanks Andy

so where am I looking for the 240v fuse?

Regards
Mike

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Get some pics up if you can Mike it may help with diagnosis.

In my experience there will be a wire from EHU socket on van direct to fuse board. This is normally fitted as near a possible to the EHU socket for safety. Then the power goes to the various items such as sockets, heater, and control unit.

What test equipment do you have available?

210bhp

Free Member
Apr 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi Andy

Here is the rear of the EHU inlet plug

you can see the orange cable disappearing uninterrupted down under the floor

here it is on the opposite side of the M/H appearing from under the floor under cupboard housing the EC200
It is directly plugged into the EC200. As far as I can see (I’ve crawled under the floor as best I can) the cable is uninterrupted between the EHU inlet and the EC200

however, I do notice the EC200 plug with the orange cable is joined by another yellow (thinner cable) into the same plug. You can see this cable in the second picture. What is this?

I have a test meter.

thanks for any more help

Regards
Mike

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Have you got mains voltage at the EC 200 end? Also Google ec 200 wiring diagram about the 3rd or 4th down is a wiring diagram PDF download which may help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back