Sargent EC155 Charging unit-? IS IT SMART ? (1 Viewer)

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
On our 5 year old Tribute -it seems our Leisure battery is not up to much [NOT HOLDING ITS CHARGE ] & tired /old like me & many others in 'Lockdown'
I am fortunate to have mains power to the Moho from my garage via a timer which is set for 4 hours -daily which should keep it in top condition, but maybe this Sargent EC155 is not 'Smart' and may just keep on charging at its Max 12amps !! AND cooked the battery ? Having looked at the EC155 Tech spec on the web I still cannot see that it Charges in stages----IE is it SMART ?. Does an 'Funster' know for sure ? Or being a 'Geriatric' have I not read the blurb properly ; which is pretty normal nowadays..lol
Thanks in advance

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It doesn't appear to be a 'smart' charger. However the rated output does not mean that it will over-charge the battery (the battery will only draw what it needs) but will power caravan services up to 12A total and charge the battery at the same. Not being a smart charger means that will not fully charge the battery which is likely to shorten its life. A small smart charger connected whilst on hook-up at home will help battery life. You can connect it inside the van and there's no need to disconnect or switch-off the Sargent.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I would have a chat with Sargent. Looking at the manual it states Charger output 13.8 Volts nominal. Nothing stated about intelligent or 3 stage charging which I find odd as your m'home is only 5 years old and Sargent have been fitting intelligent 3 stage charges for a lot longer than that.
I cant see it putting out a constant current of 12 Amps, that makes no sense what-so-ever. How old is your battery ? How is it used? do you do a lot of wilding?
You need to discuss with Sargent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
I would have a chat with Sargent. Looking at the manual it states Charger output 13.8 Volts nominal. Nothing stated about intelligent or 3 stage charging which I find odd as your m'home is only 5 years old and Sargent have been fitting intelligent 3 stage charges for a lot longer than that.
I cant see it putting out a constant current of 12 Amps, that makes no sense what-so-ever. How old is your battery ? How is it used? do you do a lot of wilding?
You need to discuss with Sargent.

Thanks for you reply....Rarely used for 3+ years..[Mother house bound] -the Hab battery is 4 yrs old[120ah] as the our new moho was only supplied with an 80 ah battery !!-[rather mean we thought] & with 2 x tv's etc.etc. needed more AH's.
Like you I could not find that the ec155 was a 3 or any stage charger ! Also I commented on the fact that Our 715 Tribute DID NOT top up the Hab battery THEN when full 'Automatically' swap the charge to the Engine battery-- I had to Press the 'change to' Eng'. battery manually & leave control panel ON. This I solved by fitting a 6 Amp smart charger to the Eng. battery & Taking out the 20 A fuse from the Sargent. -- seems to have solved our NEW Eng. battery being ruined--[ 'Lockdown' time has proved useful ]

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back