Sardinia - travel info (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I booked a crossing from Toulon to Porto Torres with Corsica Ferries some time ago. Along the way they delayed the sailing time by 2 hours. Last night I discovered why. The boat went via Ajaccio. I guess they merged two boat loads.

On arrival at Toulon they checked our electronic ticket (on the phone) and the Scottish vaccination certificates. All good. We were asked if we had completed the Italian locator forms, which we had, so all good again. We were told these would be required on entry to Sardinia.

Loading was chaotic with cars loaded facing the bow, and motorhomes facing the cars. How does that work?

The crossing was fine, it’s a big boat. The a la carte meal was barely acceptable and not worth €85 with wine - which was good.

The alternative cafe was a better bet, and very comfortable for breakfast.

Cabin was pretty rubbish - stank of dogs, or something.

Unloading was predictably even more chaotic with motorhomes being offloaded in reverse, some of them with trailers. Meanwhile cars were leaving in a free-for-all around the reversing motorhomes. Staff were getting annoyed as motorhomes were not reversing fast enough :)

Once off the boat, that was it. No customs, no police, no-one wanted any forms.

Overall an interesting experience, now for three weeks in Sardinia, where it is currently 25 degrees with a cooling breeze…

Last edited:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
On our bucket list so please post some photo's etc.

We did Corsica ferries to Corsica when we had a caravan and thought they were pretty good though we had to drive on then reverse into a space to turn round but they were great unloading down the slope directing us at 45 degrees so we did not bottom out. Cabin was good but from memory had a smell of stagnant water in the shower.

DUE SOUTH

Free Member
Sep 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680G
Exp
I booked a crossing from Toulon to Porto Torres with Corsica Ferries some time ago. Along the way they delayed the sailing time by 2 hours. Last night I discovered why. The boat went via Ajaccio. I guess they merged two boat loads.

On arrival at Toulon they checked our electronic ticket (on the phone) and the Scottish vaccination certificates. All good. We were asked if we had completed the Italian locator forms, which we had, so all good again. We were told these would be required on entry to Sardinia.

Loading was chaotic with cars loaded facing the bow, and motorhomes facing the cars. How does that work?

The crossing was fine, it’s a big boat. The a la carte meal was barely acceptable and not worth €85 with wine - which was good.

The alternative cafe was a better bet, and very comfortable for breakfast.

Cabin was pretty rubbish - stank of dogs, or something.

Unloading was predictably even more chaotic with motorhomes being offloaded in reverse, some of them with trailers. Meanwhile cars were leaving in a free-for-all around the reversing motorhomes. Staff were getting annoyed as motorhomes were not reversing fast enough :)

Once off the boat, that was it. No customs, no police, no-one wanted any forms.

Overall an interesting experience, now for three weeks in Sardinia, where it is currently 25 degrees with a cooling breeze…
We make the same crossing several times every year and our last trip in June was the first time that they did the stop off in Ajaccio. I assumed it was due to traveller numbers being down due to Covid. Your account sounds very familiar, particularly the chaotic loading / unloading. Now you’re there, enjoy your time in lovely Sardinia. There are some great wild camping spots right next to theIr beautiful beaches.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
On our list too although we may now link with a trip to the Italian mainland and ship via Genoa instead (7 hr crossing?) and avoid the seemingly poor-quality service from France.

Nice post to keep tabs on. Thanks.

DUE SOUTH

Free Member
Sep 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680G
Exp
On our list too although we may now link with a trip to the Italian mainland and ship via Genoa instead (7 hr crossing?) and avoid the seemingly poor-quality service from France.

Nice post to keep tabs on. Thanks.
The Genoa crossing is normally around 12 hours too and the boats are similar in terms of cabin quality. I actually enjoy the a la carte restaurants on both the Toulon & Genoa crossings. They’re very 1980’s and we’ve always had a good meal. The ferry from Genoa is always direct to Sardinia and there is never a ‘stop off’ as with the crossing from France. We always use the night crossings so you can have dinner as soon as you’ve boarded, then sleep and wake up in Sardinia.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
The Genoa crossing is normally around 12 hours too and the boats are similar in terms of cabin quality. I actually enjoy the a la carte restaurants on both the Toulon & Genoa crossings. They’re very 1980’s and we’ve always had a good meal. The ferry from Genoa is always direct to Sardinia and there is never a ‘stop off’ as with the crossing from France. We always use the night crossings so you can have dinner as soon as you’ve boarded, then sleep and wake up in Sardinia.
It’ll be the Genoa option for me then.
I will mix that with visiting the ancestral family town in nearby Sestri Ponente.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
We visited Sardinia back in 2007 and took the Livorno - Olbia route with Moby Lines, they used to allow camping on deck then, not sure if thy do it anymore.
Enjoy your trip, its a great place to tour with a motorhome.

Pete

Attachments

• sardinia07a 108.jpg
    sardinia07a 108.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Stintino, if you get the chance.It's at the top northern end of the Island.
We loved Sardinia, but just got fed up with alleged speeding fines that always followed any trip there.
Buggerru, was quite interesting as well.
Mike

OP
OP
G-RMPS
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Further update. After 10 days we have not progressed further than NE Sardinia (Costa Smeralda and elsewhere).

Roads, at least main roads, have been better than we have experienced on the Italian mainland.

Speed limits are totally confusing. Much of the route we have been on is (maybe) limited to 50kph. There are numerous signs showing the speed limit and no signs that I have spotted to show where the limit ends. So we have travelled for miles and miles at 50kph, maybe correctly, maybe not. The satnag isn’t much help. There is very little correlation between the satnag and the road signs, so my guess is the satnag data is wrong.

We have been using those campsites that are still open, including ACSI but these are few and far between. Where the €20 deal is available, it typically limits you to the less attractive pitches.

We turned up at an ACSI site full of apprehension as it had 650 pitches, not our scene at all. Our fears were confirmed when it took 90 minutes, really, to book in. We would have left but by then they had our passports.

The site however was amazing, located on a headland with several beaches and numerous fantastic pitches (non-ACSI price of course).

The restaurant on site was excellent and not expensive compared to some of the village restaurants we have seen, and indulged in.

Sites in general have limited EHU power which we have seen elsewhere in Italy. 4-6A is typical so bring a low power hairdryer.

Sardinia is still busy with motorhomes, indeed one site was contemplating staying open a further week or so to take advantage.

Virtually every campervan, motorhome, caravan we have seen was German registered. One or two Dutch vans, a few more Swiss, and obviously some Italian registrations. We haven’t seen any British folk here at all. Indeed we only saw three British vans throughout our travels in France, and two of these were travelling together in Cassis.

Weather is starting to get a bit less reliable, cooler and windier, though the 14-day forecast is still good.

Just one thunderstorm, and what a cracker (pun intended). Right overhead and absolutely poured down for two hours. We were stuck in a cafe (flooded) fretting about having left the Heki open. In the event nothing much came into the van.

At our current rate of progress we are going to have to abandon a circuit of the island, not that it matters. It will still be here next time.

Scenery is great!

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
The Costa Smeralda is purported to be one of the best scenic drives in the world, and it is good, but IMO there are many better ones. I think the Aga Khan owns most of that area. A short hop up to Corsica, and then along the western coast will eventually take you through the, "Calanques de Piana"
That really is photogenic. I hope you don't fall foul of the dreaded ,Biglietto di accelerazione [ Speeding ticket]. Prago.
Mike

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Done the circular route year's ago. Southern sector quieter with sites slightly more isolated. Also some swamp areas with high numbers of mosquitos. But beaches in that area are fabulous.

DUE SOUTH

Free Member
Sep 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680G
Exp
Further update. After 10 days we have not progressed further than NE Sardinia (Costa Smeralda and elsewhere).

Roads, at least main roads, have been better than we have experienced on the Italian mainland.

Speed limits are totally confusing. Much of the route we have been on is (maybe) limited to 50kph. There are numerous signs showing the speed limit and no signs that I have spotted to show where the limit ends. So we have travelled for miles and miles at 50kph, maybe correctly, maybe not. The satnag isn’t much help. There is very little correlation between the satnag and the road signs, so my guess is the satnag data is wrong.

We have been using those campsites that are still open, including ACSI but these are few and far between. Where the €20 deal is available, it typically limits you to the less attractive pitches.

We turned up at an ACSI site full of apprehension as it had 650 pitches, not our scene at all. Our fears were confirmed when it took 90 minutes, really, to book in. We would have left but by then they had our passports.

The site however was amazing, located on a headland with several beaches and numerous fantastic pitches (non-ACSI price of course).

The restaurant on site was excellent and not expensive compared to some of the village restaurants we have seen, and indulged in.

Sites in general have limited EHU power which we have seen elsewhere in Italy. 4-6A is typical so bring a low power hairdryer.

Sardinia is still busy with motorhomes, indeed one site was contemplating staying open a further week or so to take advantage.

Virtually every campervan, motorhome, caravan we have seen was German registered. One or two Dutch vans, a few more Swiss, and obviously some Italian registrations. We haven’t seen any British folk here at all. Indeed we only saw three British vans throughout our travels in France, and two of these were travelling together in Cassis.

Weather is starting to get a bit less reliable, cooler and windier, though the 14-day forecast is still good.

Just one thunderstorm, and what a cracker (pun intended). Right overhead and absolutely poured down for two hours. We were stuck in a cafe (flooded) fretting about having left the Heki open. In the event nothing much came into the van.

At our current rate of progress we are going to have to abandon a circuit of the island, not that it matters. It will still be here next time.

Scenery is great!
The 50 kph speeding signs along major roads are just relating to the area around the nearby junction or slip road. You’re right that there is no ‘end of speed restriction’ sign - that confused me too so I asked a local.

Enjoy your trip - the weather looks ideal 👌

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back