Santiago de Compestella (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Our base in France is on the Pilgrim's route to Santiago.

Next year we intend to take the m/h out, following the route and ending up at Santiago.

Can anyone recommend a site or stop over close in to the town centre?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
There's an Aire in the town 10 minute walk from the centre. It's in the big coach park plenty of room 3 euros for a few hours parking or 12 euros for overnight.
We were there about 6 months ago.
Lovely town with the walkers just collapsing in front of the cathedral some fabulous fish restaurants and not too expensive.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Forestboy

Our nearest village in France is directly on the route and our local bar offers free drinks for anyone on the route.

We gave met some interesting people, of all nationalities as a result.

Interestingly, they are not all Christians.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Not walked it but ridden most of it on several motorbikes and did a lot of it this year in the van.
Have great respect for people that do it watched a film recently about a father and son who did it together. The dad was recovering from cancer.
Put a link up if I can find it.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@maison
Can't find a link at the moment but its called;
Life In A Walk by Yogi Roth
Sure someone will be able to post a link its worth a watch.:xThumb:

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
We walked into Santiago de Compostella.

I had even bought a rucksack and walking stick specifically for the journey.

Actually, we walked in from the Motorhome parking area just outside the town centre :xrofl:

Rúa Manuel María, 1, 15703 Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, Spain

42°53'40.6"N 8°31'58.9"W

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have intended to visit last two years on our way home from winter trip but weather turned nasty both times. Did, however notice we were on a Pilgrimage trail and the large numbers of establishments offering accomodation, sustenance etc. Will have another go this time.

PS Any reason you've posted in the Touring/Morocco section?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Well spotted. Will he ever make to Santiago ?

"I don't remember big tents and camels in Northern Spain, will you check those GPS coordinates Cariad."

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I have a copy of "PILGRIMS’ ROUTE TO SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA – THE SOFT WAY" from someone who drove the Compostela in their Motorhome, if any wants a copy PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy. We plan to do it someday.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
There is a campsite in tne town, sorry, can't remember the name. There was a regular bus into the centre from the end of the road. I think it took about15 mins or so. We were there in October 2013 and really liked ot.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Have intended to visit last two years on our way home from winter trip but weather turned nasty both times. Did, however notice we were on a Pilgrimage trail and the large numbers of establishments offering accomodation, sustenance etc. Will have another go this time.

Yes, stupidity!(n)

That, and fat fingers.:)

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
The Aire is listed in Camperstop. As said previously there is a bus stop close by, outside the school. We went last year and were really impressed. Loads of parking at the Aire.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Fiour months have passed since I got back from walking it. I am the person down the pub telling everyone it's great - you should do it, go for it!

But I would never do it again! (except in a motorhome :):) )

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our base in France is on the Pilgrim's route to Santiago.

Next year we intend to take the m/h out, following the route and ending up at Santiago.

Can anyone recommend a site or stop over close in to the town centre?
We stayed overnight in the aires in the adjacent town of Milladoiro. The aires is in the car park of the sports centre. The town is full of little bars which offer the most wonderful free tapas - we ate and drank on a Saturday night - all for 20 euros! The next day we drove to the aires on the Park and Ride site where you can stay overnight, and caught the bus (just outside the Park and Ride Site) into Santiago de Compostella - what a place that is. The Cathedral is amazing, and we went to a little restaurant which was mentioned in the Rough Guide book for the best octopus around, and drank the white wine out of 'Pilgrims ceramic dishes'.

We were in the Cathedral at 12pm for the Pilgrims Mass, but snuck by while the service was going on and had the glorious experience of creeping up the stairs to the back of the silver statue of St James, looking down over the congregation! This is the highlight for the Pilgrims, and the stairs have been worn down by millions of knees crawling up it - but if you time it right, and they are all at the mass, you have the stairs and the statue all to yourself!

The only disappointment (followers of our travels will know this to be a common occurence) was that the Porto De Gloria (the door where the Pilgrims enter the Cathedral) was closed for refurbishment.... as was one of the towers of the Taj Mahal..... the whole west side of Canterbury Cathedral..... the east side of Westminster Abbey... I could go on and on with this litany of disappointment..... and can't bring myself to mention the Turin Shroud.... ask Dawn @Mousy about that disappointment..... :(

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@cliffandger
Thanks for the post.

Lots of useful Info there.(y)

In view of your last paragraph we will try to avoid visiting anywhere at the same time as you!:whistle:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
@cliffandger
Thanks for the post.

Lots of useful Info there.(y)

In view of your last paragraph we will try to avoid visiting anywhere at the same time as you!:whistle:

Very wise, very very wise - not only is every monument we visit covered in scaffold, but I have to say that Cliff is very unrighteous and I am unrighteous by association, so the sun never shines on us either . :crying:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
IMG_0345.JPG

The altar with the statue of St James. Apparently the incense burner has an arc of 65 metres and was used to disinfect the pilgrims and get rid of their fleas!

Cliff worshipping at an altar of his own.......
IMG_0325.JPG

What a happy little pilgrim he is!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back