Free Member
Nov 6, 2010
liverpool
Funster No
MH
Concorde charisma
Exp
Hi
All looking for advice for route from santander to gibraltar. thinking of leaving the uk in around december the 15th, and taking the ferry down to santander. anybody done the santander to gibraltar run. any advise would be appreciated.
Regards george

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Keep a check on the weather. Especially near Madrid.
They have HUGE parking areas where the trucks can go in case of heavy snow and road closures. It does not happen often BUT can happen. So be aware of that, Spain is not all sunshine (y)

OP
OP
georgie boy

georgie boy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2010
liverpool
Funster No
MH
Concorde charisma
Exp
Keep a check on the weather. Especially near Madrid.
They have HUGE parking areas where the trucks can go in case of heavy snow and road closures. It does not happen often BUT can happen. So be aware of that, Spain is not all sunshine (y)
cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Link Removed
This is handy for aires in Spain and overnight stops.
I have done the border (Irun) down to Algerciras via Burgos, Madrid, Malaga and then down the coast and that was in January.
No issues at the time..

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
All roads lead to madrid would not risk it if it was getting dark roads joining and turning offs would be a nightmare at night id park in burgos then fresh start in morning

OP
OP
georgie boy

georgie boy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2010
liverpool
Funster No
MH
Concorde charisma
Exp
All roads lead to madrid would not risk it if it was getting dark roads joining and turning offs would be a nightmare at night id park in burgos then fresh start in morning

which route would you suggest from santander down to gib ?
Regards george

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The ship which arrives on the 15th docks at 17:30. By the time you get off it will be getting dark. The one which leaves on the 15th docks at 14:15. Allow an hour, sometime more, less if you're lucky, before you actually get on the road. In either case a short journey to a nearby aire might be the best option and then an early start next morning. The aire at Cabarceno is about half an hour away:

https://www.park4night.com/lieu/115...arceno-corraliza/spain/cantabria#.W7YVvy_Mzow

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.358...3X8GvlgxytRXHx2EA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

The route via Salamanca and Seville avoids Madrid but you can get snow there too. If you go via Madrid take the M50 which is the outermost "ring road" and not quite so busy, though "busy" is a relative term - nothing like the busy motorways in England.

OP
OP
georgie boy

georgie boy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2010
liverpool
Funster No
MH
Concorde charisma
Exp
The ship which arrives on the 15th docks at 17:30. By the time you get off it will be getting dark. The one which leaves on the 15th docks at 14:15. Allow an hour, sometime more, less if you're lucky, before you actually get on the road. In either case a short journey to a nearby aire might be the best option and then an early start next morning. The aire at Cabarceno is about half an hour away:

https://www.park4night.com/lieu/115...arceno-corraliza/spain/cantabria#.W7YVvy_Mzow

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.358...3X8GvlgxytRXHx2EA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

The route via Salamanca and Seville avoids Madrid but you can get snow there too. If you go via Madrid take the M50 which is the outermost "ring road" and not quite so busy, though "busy" is a relative term - nothing like the busy motorways in England.
Thanks for your help will take note and change date to the 15th, thanks a lot for your help

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Your Sat Nav will do all the work for you. Either Toll or Non toll route. Either way it's almost all motorway the whole way down. Avoid Madrid.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We use Salamanca-Caceres-Seville-Tarifa most years never had a problem (y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
georgie boy

georgie boy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2010
liverpool
Funster No
MH
Concorde charisma
Exp
Your Sat Nav will do all the work for you. Either Toll or Non toll route. Either way it's almost all motorway the whole way down. Avoid Madrid.

Thanks for the tips, don't fancy going near madrid for the first trip

OP
OP
georgie boy

georgie boy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2010
liverpool
Funster No
MH
Concorde charisma
Exp
We use Salamanca-Caceres-Seville-Tarifa most years never had a problem (y)(y)(y)

Cheers I was looking at that option also. will have to do some more research into the stop overs on route.
Thanks for the reply
Regards George

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Last year ago we did Palencia, Segovia, Avila Zafra Servilla route to La Bella Vista, not a problem. altho this year we are planning a little detour stopping over in Salamanca, Merida, Arcos de la Frontera, to La Bella Vista. We are coming down two weeks later than you between Xmas and New year.

Earlier this year we tried the Zaragoza Meditereanean route, but ended up stuck in snow covered mountains for a couple of nights, the snow plough got us out eventually but it wasn't for the feint hearted.

We use the formentioned apps lapaca etc. to find aires and wild camp spots.

OP
OP
georgie boy

georgie boy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2010
liverpool
Funster No
MH
Concorde charisma
Exp
Last year ago we did Palencia, Segovia, Avila Zafra Servilla route to La Bella Vista, not a problem. altho this year we are planning a little detour stopping over in Salamanca, Merida, Arcos de la Frontera, to La Bella Vista. We are coming down two weeks later than you between Xmas and New year.

Earlier this year we tried the Zaragoza Meditereanean route, but ended up stuck in snow covered mountains for a couple of nights, the snow plough got us out eventually but it wasn't for the feint hearted.

We use the formentioned apps lapaca etc. to find aires and wild camp spots.

Hi thanks very much for the reply. it is much appreciated and I will take note of your reply
Cheers George

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
which route would you suggest from santander down to gib ?
Regards george
IF you have time,and are coming in at santander - forget about salamanca, you are heading towards the high ground.
go along the coast towards la coruna- it will probably be wet and cold-but not freezing.head for Porto/Aveiro, and down the west coast, relax ,forget about the miles, once you are below Aveiro the winter is over !!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Palencia has a couple of nice aires, Salamanca has two that we know of the one a couple of miles out of the city is nice and quiet, Caceres has a nice aire ad a lovely campsite with your own private toilet & shower.(y)(y)(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would recommend the aire at Lierganes (CC6015) over the Elephant Park. Easier to get to, a proper service point and shops locally if required.

As has been mentioned, just keep an eye on the forecast and adjust your route if required.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Our chosen route (done it often) - we do tend to limit our daily travel to around 200 miles :)

1. Santander to camping El Astral at Tordisillas straight South on Dual carriageway all the way - 180 miles
Good site (including restaurant) open all year

2. Follow Mway South to Camping Cacres 180 miles great site - restaurant open all year -
private shower& loo on pitch

3. Decision time!! :)

A. Camping Villisom (just outside Seville) Mway South 175 miles open all year then 110 miles to Gib

or

B. Gibralter 285 miles!!

Reactions: DBK

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Palencia has a couple of nice aires, Salamanca has two that we know of the one a couple of miles out of the city is nice and quiet, Caceres has a nice aire ad a lovely campsite with your own private toilet & shower.(y)(y)(y)

I'm interested in the Salamanca aire, the only one I know is noisy and exposed, Do you have a GPS location plse?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'm interested in the Salamanca aire, the only one I know is noisy and exposed, Do you have a GPS location plse?
Area De El Encinar
Camper contact code : 19691
N40°52’50”. W5°34’58”

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... to digress ... and I'm surprised no-one else has asked this yet but ... why on earth are you going to Gibraltar! o_O

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
My advice would be to drive south for as long as you are comfortable with then use camper contact or park for night to find an aire close by rather than set an itinerary.

Madrid is easy, choice of 2 ring roads or a motorway straight through the middle, piece of cake.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
... to digress ... and I'm surprised no-one else has asked this yet but ... why on earth are you going to Gibraltar! o_O
its a bit like going to john agroats or landsend ,or cabo roco in portugal.
gib is ok , it makes a nice day out. go through on the med side and drive through the tunnel etc . like many places its interesting once done you might never go back but i very often just go if only for the ride around and see how the rest cope. its all part of nearest road to the sea . we play that alot. used to catch the ferry to morocco there , then it stopped for years then started again , not sure if its still running . was the only way to drive there at one time when the border was shut. all part of world history.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back