Santander to Benidorm Route Help (1 Viewer)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Hello,

We leave the UK next week heading to Benidorm for a few months then onto further a field. We have opted for the first time to use the Plymouth and Santander crossing missing out France. This was based on the extortionate toll costs for our motorhome which is over 3m so we head into HGV pricing.

Can anyone help me with the best route down from Santander to Benidorm please?

I don't mind using toll roads if it will save us a lot of time and not cost a fortune (bearing in mind we are over 3m high) My thoughts were to break the journey in two as we do not arrive into Santander until midday and by the time we get off the ferry and onto the road we do not want to be arriving at a new site at 8 or 9pm trying to find a pitch (Villasol)

Would really appreciate it if anyone could let us know the options with a stop on the way. Driving is not an issue we can drive as long as it takes so the location of stop over is not a problem provided not too big a detour and the best route please. We are well used to Aires so any along the way would be good.

I looked at google maps and it recommends the E5 to Madrid then E901 to Alicante as the toll free option and states a similar distance and time to the toll route. Concerned of traffic nightmare around Madrid.

What do you funsters recommend??

Thanks,

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Couple years back I took ferry to santander. ..heading for benidorm..
Did it in two days and from memory route was ....
Headed for zaragoza ...from zaragoza took road to valenncia and then down coast to benidorm...
Overnighter in a little village called calamocha mid way between zaragoza and valence ...
Recollection was of good clear roads but can only remember one section of toll that I used down towards benidorm. ..but could have been more...
Andy.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003

Depart Santander and head for Zaragossa, it is motorway more or less all the way. Toll was just over €30. Our overnight stop is at the service aire at Sobradiel just before you reach Zaragossa. We have been overnighting there for the past 5 years without any problems. The next leg of the journey is down to Valencia, this is toll free. Then follow the coast road down to Benidorm, again it is motorway all the way, toll charge for this leg was €13.
Safe journey and have a great time in Beni.
Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
A few people have stayed at the Troglodyte Aire at Arguedas in Spain, if you do a search, you will find the posts and pictures, we have stayed at Haro campsite a couple of times on road over to Zaragossa. Lovely drive, great roads.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Camping Haro as a first stop allows for any delays on the ferry, and an easy walk up to the town from the site and plenty of restaurants and bars. Then to Zaragoza, the aire in the city is hard to get to and not special, the campsite is easy access but there are other aire options en route, check CamperContact, then down to Benidorm.

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes

Depart Santander and head for Zaragossa, it is motorway more or less all the way. Toll was just over €30. Our overnight stop is at the service aire at Sobradiel just before you reach Zaragossa. We have been overnighting there for the past 5 years without any problems. The next leg of the journey is down to Valencia, this is toll free. Then follow the coast road down to Benidorm, again it is motorway all the way, toll charge for this leg was €13.
Safe journey and have a great time in Beni.
Brisey.

Hi Brisey,

Thanks to you and others for the help. With regard to the tolls, I'm not familiar with Spanish toll system. Is it a standard charge for all motorhomes or are they grouped into weight, size (height) and axles like the French system? If so which band are the figures you quote. I don't mind paying if it is a better delay free journey.

Thanks again

s

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi Brisey,

Thanks to you and others for the help. With regard to the tolls, I'm not familiar with Spanish toll system. Is it a standard charge for all motorhomes or are they grouped into weight, size (height) and axles like the French system? If so which band are the figures you quote. I don't mind paying if it is a better delay free journey.

Thanks again

s

We only use the peage from Valencia to Benidorm,,,,still do it comfortably in two days,,,BUSBY.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Stayed here on our way home from Calpe(just around the corner from Benny) to Hondarabbia which is in the 'corner' between Spain and France. Ball park it's about half way between Santander and Benidorm.

http://www.campercontact.com/en/spa...40385/motorhome-parking-area-de-carinena.aspx
Description:
in sports and swimming pool - center 300m

General information:
Location dedicated for motorhomes | Max. capacity: 7 | Open: 1/1 - 31/12

Pricing:
Motorhome (2 persons incl. taxes): Free | Waste water discharge: Free | Water: Free

Calle del Carmen 40, 50400 Cariñena, Spain

GPS:
N 41.33802, W 1.23001
N 41°20'17", W 1°13'48"

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We will be doing the same run as we get the Portsmouth to Santander ship on December 27, don’t go to Plymouth as you will have to wait until March for a ship.
Have done the trip many times and after staying on the Aire at Cabaceno overnight we will head off for Madrid. If we have an early start, which is likely we may go all the way to Benidorm or actually Villajoyosa. We may stop at Aranjeuz south of Madrid or even at Albacete.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi

Can anybody tell me if there are Camping signs and n The Autivias and Autopistas please ?

Thanks
Welcome but sorry I don't understand your question. Camping signs for what? You certainly won't see signs for campsites on the motorways or generally on any other road other than very close to the site - apart from a few very remote sites. Most of us use various books and apps to find where to stay.

Santez

Free Member
Dec 18, 2019
Abergele, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 195
Exp
Since 2018
Ok , thanks, that has answered my question. We have sites planned but wondered if they were displayed signs,

Thank you for your help

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hello,

We leave the UK next week heading to Benidorm for a few months then onto further a field. We have opted for the first time to use the Plymouth and Santander crossing missing out France. This was based on the extortionate toll costs for our motorhome which is over 3m so we head into HGV pricing.

I don't mind using toll roads if it will save us a lot of time and not cost a fortune (bearing in mind we are over 3m high) My thoughts were to break the journey in two as we do not arrive into Santander until midday and by the time we get off the ferry and onto the road we do not want to be arriving at a new site at 8 or 9pm trying to find a pitch (Villasol)

Would really appreciate it if anyone could let us know the options with a stop on the way. Driving is not an issue we can drive as long as it takes so the location of stop over is not a problem provided not too big a detour and the best route please. We are well used to Aires so any along the way would be good.

I looked at google maps and it recommends the E5 to Madrid then E901 to Alicante as the toll free option and states a similar distance and time to the toll route. Concerned of traffic nightmare around Madrid.

Thanks,
There is no doubt the biggest of motor homes and American type RV's can be expensive on long road journeys and in some circumstances the best option is ferries . However, this is not always the case and the maths needs to be done to work out which is the most affordable, ferries or road. Most toll charges can be avoided between France and Spain (Calais to Irun) whilst still travelling on motorways and/or duel carriage ways, resulting in a huge saving when compared to ferry prices. Have a look at this!
Safe travels.
Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total) (Fuel costs approx. €147.84 (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also here are Repsol fuel stations and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

One of the best off line MAP ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Finally, for those looking for a data sim card for their ‘mifi’ unit or tablet (WiFi) this is the best deal in the UK and possibly the best deal in the whole of the E.U. at this moment in time. A massive 50GB of 4g data for only £30.00 a month on a monthly rolling contract. Cancel the contract after two months to get the full 3 months usage throughout the whole of the E.U. Other options also available.

(Tip!) (Go on their online ‘Web Chat’ and ask them to confirm the contract starts when you activate the sim and if they agree (they did with me) keep a copy of the Web Chat that they will email to you, otherwise the contract will start from the day your order the sim card). After two months contact customer services by phone and cancel the contract by giving them 30 days’ notice. This prevents their fair play usage kicking in after 3 months and you paying through your nose for Wi-Fi. If they say the contract started from when you made the order contact the complaints number and they will honour the agreement made with the Chat agent! (UK number is 03333 041 524 (standard call charges apply, they will even call you back if you ask them and they are very helpful)). The Wi-Fi coverage is exceptional.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/

Vodaphone APN settings for an unlocked MiFi.

https://search.vodafone.co.uk/search?proxystylesheet=default_frontend&q=APN+settings&x=0&y=0

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hello,

Thanks,
Just curious as to which day you are travelling?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We will be doing the same run as we get the Portsmouth to Santander ship on December 27, don’t go to Plymouth as you will have to wait until March for a ship.
Have done the trip many times and after staying on the Aire at Cabaceno overnight we will head off for Madrid. If we have an early start, which is likely we may go all the way to Benidorm or actually Villajoyosa. We may stop at Aranjeuz south of Madrid or even at Albacete.

I thought you would only sail on pont aven mike ?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
There is no doubt the biggest of motor homes and American type RV's can be expensive on long road journeys and in some circumstances the best option is ferries . However, this is not always the case and the maths needs to be done to work out which is the most affordable, ferries or road. Most toll charges can be avoided between France and Spain (Calais to Irun) whilst still travelling on motorways and/or duel carriage ways, resulting in a huge saving when compared to ferry prices. Have a look at this!
Safe travels.
Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total) (Fuel costs approx. €147.84 (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also here are Repsol fuel stations and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

One of the best off line MAP ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Finally, for those looking for a data sim card for their ‘mifi’ unit or tablet (WiFi) this is the best deal in the UK and possibly the best deal in the whole of the E.U. at this moment in time. A massive 50GB of 4g data for only £30.00 a month on a monthly rolling contract. Cancel the contract after two months to get the full 3 months usage throughout the whole of the E.U. Other options also available.

(Tip!) (Go on their online ‘Web Chat’ and ask them to confirm the contract starts when you activate the sim and if they agree (they did with me) keep a copy of the Web Chat that they will email to you, otherwise the contract will start from the day your order the sim card). After two months contact customer services by phone and cancel the contract by giving them 30 days’ notice. This prevents their fair play usage kicking in after 3 months and you paying through your nose for Wi-Fi. If they say the contract started from when you made the order contact the complaints number and they will honour the agreement made with the Chat agent! (UK number is 03333 041 524 (standard call charges apply, they will even call you back if you ask them and they are very helpful)). The Wi-Fi coverage is exceptional.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/

Vodaphone APN settings for an unlocked MiFi.

https://search.vodafone.co.uk/search?proxystylesheet=default_frontend&q=APN+settings&x=0&y=0

The original post was made by stewartwebr back in March 2017. I think he'll have been and come back home again by now. :xrofl:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I thought you would only sail on pont aven mike ?
Normally do but travelling late this year so only the Cap and the eco boat doing the Spain run at the moment. The Pont Aven is doing Portsmouth to St Malo late on Friday so if it looks too rough we may well be on that one instead.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The original post was made by stewartwebr back in March 2017. I think he'll have been and come back home again by now. :xrofl:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
Correct ! My reply was not aimed at one specific journey. Just simply outlining a possible alternative that can be used on future journeys and also informing any other members who may be following this thread.

Reactions: f6c
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Ok , thanks, that has answered my question. We have sites planned but wondered if they were displayed signs,

Thank you for your help
Use campercontact app and your phone will direct you to sites and aires like a sat nav,,BUSBY.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Correct ! My reply was not aimed at one specific journey. Just simply outlining a possible alternative that can be used on future journeys and also informing any other members who may be following this thread.
Och aye Phil, so you were. A pink elephant has just flown past my window. :xrofl:

Cheers,

Jock. ?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Then you need to get back on your medication , That sounds serious !
Not as serious as you replying to a request from over two years old, by quoting the original poster. :LOL:

Come on Phil, we have all done it at some time or another over the years.............................however, some of us are open enough to admit our misdemeanours. ;)

It's a bit like you stoking the brazier at Shell Island, and not giving a monkey's as to whose Events Shelter you were damaging, (Jim & Sian's), with an over abundance of sparks and cinders (also having an affect on the clothing of fellow Funsters sat close by, never mind the affects of the additional smoke produced as a result, affecting Asthma sufferers) due to your continued insistence (and somewhat alcohol fuelled), need to stoke the brazier...............................................no matter how out of control the situation was getting. :xeek:
Was that you just outlining a possible alternative, for others to benefit from as well then, eh?
Health & safety expert my arse.

Oops, sorry. :xeek: I do digress from the original thread. Naughty me. Slap, slap.

Jock. :)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Well! that's an unrelated, irrelevant rant if ever I read one. If you had an issue with me on Shell Island why bring it up all these years later. So sad it has been chewing away at you all this time. Any decent Funster I.M.O would have corrected my alleged bad behaviour there and then, or the next day ???? and given me the opportunity to apologise for my bad behaviour. I must admit I do not recall the event you describe and surprised this is the very first I have heard about it. I'm a bit disappointed in you Jock. Your not on my Christmas card list pal.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Any decent Funster I.M.O would have corrected my alleged bad behaviour there and then
I did, by taking over the control of the brazier, but you weren't keen to take the hint.................what with you being H & S experienced. :LOL:

I must admit I do not recall the event you describe and surprised this is the very first I have heard about it.
Of course you don't Phil..............................you were pi~~ed at the time. :xdoh:

I'm a bit disappointed in you Jock. Your not on my Christmas card list pal.
I never was...........................nor you on mine. :rofl:

Oops, there I go, digressing again. :moon2:

Will this be my first ban in 12 x years?

Jock. :)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Oh Dear ! I do find it odd that this for the very first time is coming from you and you alone. Still, if as you say I was pissed out of my brains that would explain why I am unable to remember the event you describe. However, I truly am surprised you were not man enough to correct me the following day , following week or following year, if you were that upset. If I was out of order I would expect somebody to raise to my attention, even after the event and this simply did not happen. Still, in the end it must have worked out well for you as you did get to command the Brazier. :xrofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back