Santander ferry (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We've booked the van on the Portsmouth santander route for the first time this year - have previously been as cycle passengers and enjoyed it. Using the 'Economie' crossing, costing us £730 return for 6.5 metre van and outside cabins both ways. Not bad, I thought. But am wondering about the van's fridge during journey? We like to bring a good few foodstuffs back, as well as taking some out. On the short crossings we just let it take care of itself, but can't do that for 24 hours. Could we keep it going on gas? Is there any chance of an EHU on board? Not a disaster if we can't use it, but to do so would be good.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Gas burning fridges should be turned off. We always fill our freezer compartment and turn it on high a couple of days before and switch off gas and fridge when we board, contents still fine after 24 hour voyage.
I believe some hook ups are available.
Have a good trip :thumb:

moonman

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
wirral
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2003
We are also booked on the ferry end of April to Santander and have the same issue. I can't see any mention of ehc on their web site and I doubt it would be safe to leave the gas fridge on during the sailing.
We have a 200 mile+ journey to Portsmouth and then straight on the ferry so we've more or less decided to carry very little in the fridge during the voyage stocking up in Spain after arrival.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Santander Ferry has ehu on board ok I have used the ehu both ways just ask when you arrive at the check in desk then while you are waiting to board see one of the loaders outside usually standing at front of queue with walki talkie and ask him to arrange for ehu when you drive on board, but make sure you have continental plug and plenty of cable, they normally have plenty of ehu on the truck deck as loads of fridge trucks have to use the ehu Hope this helps, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

moonman

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
wirral
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2003
Santander Ferry has ehu on board ok I have used the ehu both ways just ask when you arrive at the check in desk then while you are waiting to board see one of the loaders outside usually standing at front of queue with walki talkie and ask him to arrange for ehu when you drive on board, but make sure you have continental plug and plenty of cable, they normally have plenty of ehu on the truck deck as loads of fridge trucks have to use the ehu Hope this helps, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

thanks for that advice as I had the following reply from BF when I enquired about EHC.

Dear Mr Davies

Thank you for your email.

I’m sorry but we do not provide hook ups for motor homes these are reserved for freight vehicles only

Regards

Sandra

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
For £730 return Id enjoy the drive, and more importantly the stops in France and rest assured that the snap in the fridge was cushty. :thumb:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi, we've just returned from a 2 month stay in Spain and our solution was cheap and simple, and it worked. We filled two large pop bottles to about 75% then froze them. Then when got to the terminal and had to turn everything off, put them in the main fridge compartment. If your freezer box is small, use a few small bottles instead.::bigsmile:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We do similar to HymerB544. Often use freezer blocks and a cool box / bag when out and about in the car. When I needed to do injections that had to be kept cool the freezer blocks and cool bag kept it all safe for 48 hours.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
thanks for that advice as I had the following reply from BF when I enquired about EHC.

Dear Mr Davies

Thank you for your email.

I’m sorry but we do not provide hook ups for motor homes these are reserved for freight vehicles only

Regards

Sandra

Sorry to hear that Sandra, but I would still ask the loader on the dockside with the walkie talkie if he can sort out ehu for you, if boat not full of trucks then what is the problem as they will have loads of empty hook up points free??????, Best of luck and hope you get one, would help if you posted on here the outcome, Regard Garry Flatpackchicken

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I three quarters fill those lakeland stacking boxes and freeze them, they dont roll about, it lasts well enough for the english bacon and sausages.then they can be used for striage whilst you are there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back