LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, has anyone taken their dogs on the Santander ferry? and what was their experience?

We should have been travelling through Roen now, but changed our tunnel booking because of the road conditions in UK and France. We did not really fancy being at Uzerche in -11 temperatures either!

We have often wondered about taking the ferry to Santander, but worried about our 2 small dogs.

1 Has anyone taken their dogs in one of the pet friendly cabins, and how much more did you have to pay?

2 The kennels on board seem a tough alternative, leaving them alone in a strange place for the first time, does not seem a good idea. Has anyone had their dogs in the kennels and what are the conditions like - eg warmth, comfort? how often can you visit them? where do you take them for a walk? etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ginny and Mike

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Ehuplad (Mike and Sally) had a dog friendly cabin for their dog, I think one of the problems they found, there was no where for their dog to lift it's leg (lack of trees) and the dog walk was not so good, but I don't think this would put them off doing it again, no doubt they will come on here and let you know.

Nigel and Pamala

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I think if you use the Bilbao crossing they have some cabins which the dogs are allowed in with you, rather than use the kennels

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
No doubt someone will pop up soon who has used the pet friendly cabins to advise, but we used the Bilbao crossing in January and I suspect the Santander is very similar, although I believe they have a few more kennels.
The pet friendly cabins tend to get booked up quite quickly we found. On the Cap Finistere (Bilbao) there were about 10 kennels, one of which we booked for our Border Terrier. The small kennels are a bit small so if youve anything much bigger than a Jack Russell I would pay the extra and have a large one.
They are basically a stainless steel cage fronted box, a bit like you'd get at the vets for a hospitalisation. They were on the top deck in a dedicated room with a decent excercise area where you can walk your pooch. We travelled in an icy gale and the kennel area was fine but the deck walking area a bit windswept
There was no restriction on visiting. I would suspect the cabins would be a bit more of a hassle as you'll need to walk the dog up some stairs and out onto the top deck exercise area.. But you do get them with you all the time, which can also be a hassle if youve a yappy dog who doesnt like to be left alone and you fancy a couple of hours in the bar ! At least with a kennel they are safe and can bark off to their hearts content.
The kennel idea is not ideal but its only 24 hours and if your dog wants an extended holiday in Spain as much as you do, then it'll have to endure a bit of hardship too !

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi cant help on the portsmouth ferry but on the plymouth i leave my dog in thev trailer . its big and she can sleep on the sofas etc . have food water in her own enviroment . i pay for a cabin but ask to see the captain or the burser they come down and check there is good accomodation for the dog. .blackie is happier in the trailer .she doesnt like the kennels as its like a prison to her nd the other dogs bark alot.
i started it once when i had to come home early . got permision off the captain from brittany ferries as all the kennels were booked and they tried to not issue the ticket . before the kennels we always had to leave dogs in the vehicle. i could have walked her at a given time but just leave her alone . if she did make a mess it would be my fault not hers ,but so far stayed clean and much happier for her.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We came over on the Brittany Cap Finistere and there was a specific dog walking area on deck .

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that is the reason we use the tunnel

We use the tunnel because Ezzie being 80 kgs is a big dog and would not fit a kernel very well. She is a silly thing even at nearly 6 she is a big baby.. I prefer her to be with us and we can do that on the train.. she sits on the settee and there is no stress on her or us.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back