Sanef VIA-t Toll tag in Portuguese hire cars (1 Viewer)

ironduck

Free Member
Oct 30, 2016
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
1 year
Keep your eye open for an email from Sanef if you have a via-T tag. They are saying avoid using them in Portuguese hire cars.

Copy of mail:

We have been informed that customers shouldn’t use their VIA-T tags in a Portuguese hire car. This is because Portuguese hire cars have their Licence Plates registered with the Toll Road Operators. This enables the Toll Road Operators to quickly identify the registered keeper of the vehicle and the hire car company to provide the details of the hirer. The hire car companies typically charge an administration fee of circa 35€ to provide the customer details to the Toll Road Operator.

This issue is exacerbated by the free flow technology used on the Portuguese motorways. It seems that some of the toll gantry equipment does not always work correctly. When a tag isn’t read the transaction is allocated by the Licence Plate – and the above scenario results. Therefore we very reluctantly need to inform you that you shouldn’t use a VIA-T tag in a Portuguese hire car.

----------------

However we have been informed that there is an alternative and that is to make use of the Portuguese Post Office App or Website. The App is easier to navigate than the website as it's multi-lingual. All you need to do is install the app or register your hire car on the website / app and then check 2 days after the transaction – if one appears in the list, the TAG wasn’t recorded by the gantry as you drove under it and needs to be paid for including a small transaction fee.

If you have any outstanding trips on the A22 motorway you can pay them by clicking here. For payment of other Tolls you will need to visit a Portuguese Post Office.

If you choose to use this solution you do so at your own risk.

NB. VIA-T had not been informed that their tags cannot be used in hire cars – we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We have also included this information in our FAQs

Sanef Tolling Support
Address: Hornbeam House, Hornbeam Park, Hookstone Road, Harrogate HG2 8QT

Legal Disclaimer:

If the recipient of this email is not the addressee, such recipient is strictly prohibited from reading, photocopying, distribution or otherwise using this email or its contents in any way. Any statements made or intentions expressed in this communication may not necessarily reflect the view of Emovis Tag Ltd. Be advised that no content herein may be held binding upon Emovis Tag Ltd or any associated company unless confirmed by the issuance of a formal contractual document.

For further information about Sanef Tolling please visit our website at www.saneftolling.co.uk

Frequently Asked Questions

tag-installation-guidance
tag-placement-new

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I recently had a hire car on the Algarve for a month returning it only a week or so ago. The arrangement is simple. The tag is fitted and if you go on the motorway the hire company charges an activation fee of 5 Euro and debits your account with that and the toll fees. If you don't use the motorways you don't pay. That is it; simple and really quite reasonable.

OP
OP
ironduck

ironduck

Free Member
Oct 30, 2016
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
1 year
That is pretty straight forward :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I should also have said that you should not attempt to use another tag registered to another vehicle in the hire car as this just confuses the system and could result in a fine for you and the hire company.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Thanks for that . We are going to hire a car this year. Now I know whatnot to do.(y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We also had a hire car in Portugal last year. The gadget bleeps when go under the gantry. We had a readout when we returned the car which was totally accurate and deducted from the car deposit. It works on the same principle when driving in the US.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
@injebreck99 . Where are you going . We will be at alvor about then.

Not in our motorhome unfortunately, I'm giving the wife a treat and staying in a hotel in Santa Eulalia, so she won't have to cook and clean, she'll be pampered, I've booked spa and massage sessions for her, she deserves it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Oh dear. What have you done. LOL. if you do not mind I will not tell my wife.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
She’ll be less resistant when I want to buy another bike , crafty ‘eh.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back