Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
When looking at a dealer, getting a "good feeling" about the salesman is quite important to us; body language, attitude, persistence etc. Marquis Ipswich had an American manager who was easy to deal with. They were willing but disorganised with the aftersales. Hayes have been good on both sides

A-ha - 'Gentleman' John was at Marquis Northampton when we bought our Bessie from them in 2009 - the only person I have ever met who in his Texas drawl (he was actually born in Leicester but the family moved when he was tiny) could possibly call me 'Ma'am' and 'Darlin' in the same sentence and not get clobbered. What a nice bloke - and when they found a problem with the van - it was he who came rushing out to tell us, and what they proposed to do about it, didn't leave it to the salesman - who we'd got on with perfectly well.

And we replaced it last year with a Pilote from - Hayes !

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
So why are there not a whole lot more women on sales teams ? It is rare to find a lady on the showroom floor

I think it's because a woman may use sex to sell her products (flirtation)

Imagine the scenario..... Mr and Mrs Buyer walk into a showroom to be greeted by Miss Saleslady - suddenly Mr Buyers eyes are popping out on stalks. Can't see Mrs Buyer agreeing to any offer she makes

I've had female sales people do this on a number of occasions when selling to me

I think a woman may be great for selling to another woman alone, but maybe not when the customers husband is added to the equation

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So employ unthreatening older ugly women !!
That would not detract from their ability to listen to what you need :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A-ha - 'Gentleman' John was at Marquis Northampton when we bought our Bessie from them in 2009 - the only person I have ever met who in his Texas drawl (he was actually born in Leicester but the family moved when he was tiny) could possibly call me 'Ma'am' and 'Darlin' in the same sentence and not get clobbered. What a nice bloke - and when they found a problem with the van - it was he who came rushing out to tell us, and what they proposed to do about it, didn't leave it to the salesman - who we'd got on with perfectly well.

And we replaced it last year with a Pilote from - Hayes !
John Foti - that's the guy. He used to be at Northampton as you say. Could do with a few more people like him around. Pleased with the Pilote and Hayes??

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think it's because a woman may use sex to sell her products (flirtation)

Imagine the scenario..... Mr and Mrs Buyer walk into a showroom to be greeted by Miss Saleslady - suddenly Mr Buyers eyes are popping out on stalks. Can't see Mrs Buyer agreeing to any offer she makes

I've had female sales people do this on a number of occasions when selling to me

I think a woman may be great for selling to another woman alone, but maybe not when the customers husband is added to the equation

Is that how you got the van pictured on the avatar?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I had problems with a salesman at a dealers and I wrote to the manager outlining what had happened. The manager wrote back to say he had spoken to all the staff about customer service and that one persons bad manners had cost the firm the sale of a new motorhome plus any future custom.

The problems I had was a basic lack of manners - answering the phone whilst talking to me and then proceeding to make a call rather than answer my questions! I was so disgusted I walked out.

Many years ago I accompanied a Gentleman who wished to look at new cars with a view to purchase. He was told they were very expensive. He smiled and said he would leave his card in case they wanted to talk...... I wonder what the salesman thought when he actually looked at the card - if he ever did. My Gentleman bought from elsewhere later that day.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I had problems with a salesman at a dealers and I wrote to the manager outlining what had happened. The manager wrote back to say he had spoken to all the staff about customer service and that one persons bad manners had cost the firm the sale of a new motorhome plus any future custom.

The problems I had was a basic lack of manners - answering the phone whilst talking to me and then proceeding to make a call rather than answer my questions! I was so disgusted I walked out.

Many years ago I accompanied a Gentleman who wished to look at new cars with a view to purchase. He was told they were very expensive. He smiled and said he would leave his card in case they wanted to talk...... I wonder what the salesman thought when he actually looked at the card - if he ever did. My Gentleman bought from elsewhere later that day.

OK, I'll take the bait; and the gentleman was.................................................?;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
OK, I'll take the bait; and the gentleman was.................................................?;)
A peer of the realm and loaded even though he looked like a tramp.
I was just the hired help but he was a pleasure to work for and had a great sense of humour.

Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
WOW seems like I'm not the only one. Having found my MH the response from the company to do a simple thing like prepare the van pre delivery and complete a habitation certificate was AWFUL,
I complained to the MD who was aware of the on going problems, he phoned the salesman on his mobile who appeared from some where on site and I never heard from the MD again.
If you get bad service then I think it right to name AND SHAME, companies are quick enough to blow their some what rusty trumpet when taking our cash.
The following is a copy that I placed on the Dealer review on this website. Wrote to the MD so far no reply, says it all. PLEASE READ THE REVIEW AS A WARNING TO THOSE MOTOR HOMERS LIKE ME WHO TRUST AND BELIEVE MOST PEOPLE !!!!!

THIS IS AN HONEST AND OPEN APPRAISAL

:(:(:(Having lived and worked abroad for the last 20 years it was always my intention to purchase a motor home on my return to the UK when I retired. I spent a lot of time and effort to find the right vehicle and eventually settled on a Devon Tempest, 2 years old and with 1500 miles on the clock. What I should have done was completed the purchase after the dealer Dolphin Motor homes had done the habitation check. my mistake!. The van was sent off to their Southampton branch for the habitation certificate to be issued and in my opinion that is what they did, issued the certificate because they certainly DID NOT DO THE WORKS SATISFACTORY, the van was delivered to me with a faulty fresh water tank, waste water problem, toilet badly functioning and other jobs either done badly or not done at all.
The waste water tap was ceased and needed renewing the electrics on the fresh water system were faulty there was a bolt missing from the strike plate on the rear door the swivel seats would not swivel the radio and Sat nav system did not work along with other problems. All of these problems I was assured would be corrected but the van had to go back to Southampton as the Iford branch only has a valeting bay and not a mechanics workshop, image my surprise 3 days later when I phoned Southampton to be told “NO” we do not have a bay to lift the vans and our man has taken his tools to Iford to carry out the faults there, (I assume laying on his back on the floor)
The offending problems were all done bar the radio/sat nav which apparently 3 people had tried to correct, the main dealer had been contacted , who was not prepared to give free advice and eventually the MD fiddled with the system (his words not mine) and after 15 minutes did manage to solve part of the problem. I have solved the remaining fault with a friend. I now intend to have the gas check done by an independent engineer All of the running about has been at my expense and I feel that the company had no interest what so ever after my monies had been banked..
I started by explaining that I had been abroad for twenty years and am aware that the UK is named RIP OFF BRITAIN; service like this only adds fuel to the fire. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY :(:(:(

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Anyone near Great Yarmouth should have a look into Simpsons motorhomes.. We bought ours from them. Good knowledgable salesman, good follow up on any faults to be repaired under warranty.. Do you know of them Jaws ??
PS. A great deal of Autotrails and a mixture of other makes..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back