MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We were doing a catch up on Youtube of several vloggers and were watching Travel Trolls recent video re Motorhome Camping by a River - during the video, Dan mentioned he had been in email correspondence from someone from Sainsburys, called Mark, no idea how high up the chain he was (no pun intended :giggle:), but he asked Dan what motorhomers might want from Sainsburys? - electricity points, water/waste facilities etc i was amazed by his answer when he said he told him there was no need for waste water facilities, as motorhomers can find other places to empty their waste (black and grey)

WHAT AN IDIOTIC RESPONSE ....

i hope the person he was corresponding with isnt influenced by his answer and if Sainsburys are indeed conducting a survey on the needs of motorhomers, that 'others' may provide a much better response !!!

Dan's main suggestion was that dedicated Motorhome spaces for shopping should be provided ......

DID I MENTION WHAT AN IDIOTIC RESPONSE HE GAVE ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We were doing a catch up on Youtube of several vloggers and were watching Travel Trolls recent video re Motorhome Camping by a River - during the video, Dan mentioned he had been in email correspondence from someone from Sainsburys, called Mark, no idea how high up the chain he was (no pun intended :giggle:), but he asked Dan what motorhomers might want from Sainsburys? - electricity points, water/waste facilities etc i was amazed by his answer when he said he told him there was no need for waste water facilities, as motorhomers can find other places to empty their waste (black and grey)

WHAT AN IDIOTIC RESPONSE ....

i hope the person he was corresponding with isnt influenced by his answer and if Sainsburys are indeed conducting a survey on the needs of motorhomers, that 'others' may provide a much better response !!!

Dan's main suggestion was that dedicated Motorhome spaces for shopping should be provided ......

DID I MENTION WHAT AN IDIOTIC RESPONSE HE GAVE ?
Afraid, even though he is a member on here now, that's how they both come across, like as if they are talking to a baby in a pram most of the time, last night someone met them in the supermarket and gave them beer and chocolates :doh: :doh::doh:
Social media:Eeek:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Mind you, I am one of the idiots that watch them :doh: just to see how bad it can get but I suppose they aren't worried as long as they get holidays paid for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Can't think of any supermarkets in our area that aren't full of cars morning, afternoon or evening. Be surprised if there were many that would sacrifice shoppers spaces for two or three mohos. Obviously will be a few round the country somewhere.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I often see other MHers in the car park when I go to Sainsbugs in the PVC. It's on a retail park. There's a number of commercial vans and even HGV tractor units parked in the places most distant from the shop units. Nobody seems to mind.

The more important consideration is choosing a quiet time when the supermarket won't be crowded and social distancing is better.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Suggest someone slaps him around the back of the head and tell him he is an selfish idiot, then mention it to Campra and see if they can get any traction.😈

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Speedy. Yes, during the day when it's been quite I've gone into a supermarket on our travels if it looks quiet and parked over four bays, but purely to do s shop.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why?
The chance of them providing spaces is far higher if they don't have to provide facilities.
So a sensible answer would have been spaces as a priority then facilities. Surely a sensible answer would have been just learn from the French.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Can't think of any supermarkets in our area that aren't full of cars morning, afternoon or evening. Be surprised if there were many that would sacrifice shoppers spaces for two or three mohos. Obviously will be a few round the country somewhere.
Our local Waitrose that used to be a Co-op superstore believes there is more than ample parking for its customers. Waitrose/ JL are planning to lease a large part of that car park to allow a leisure centre to be built by another Group. That will reduce the available customer parking significantly.

Anyway, I don't go to that Waitrose in the PVC because the parking spaces are more rammed and the posh shoppers who use it seem to be more careless drivers than the peasants counterparts at Sainsbugs, so there is a higher risk of damage to the van's bodywork. Also when I have gone there they made me queue outside the entrance, grrr.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Our sainsburys has a multi story car park so no good at all for motor homes, but would be useful for pvc’s and campers

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our local Waitrose that used to be a Co-op superstore believes there is more than ample parking for its customers. Waitrose/ JL are planning to lease a large part of that car park to allow a leisure centre to be built by another Group. That will reduce the available customer parking significantly.

Anyway, I don't go to that Waitrose in the PVC because the parking spaces are more rammed and the posh shoppers who use it seem to be more careless drivers than the peasants counterparts at Sainsbugs, so there is a higher risk of damage to the van's bodywork. Also when I have gone there they made me queue outside the entrance, grrr.
If they made you queue to keep numbers inside down it would make me go again. The place I wouldn't go again was a Morrisons I went in it had narrow isles and was packed at the tills.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If they made you queue to keep numbers inside down it would make me go again. The place I wouldn't go again was a Morrisons I went in it had narrow isles and was packed at the tills.
When it was a Co-op supermarket I'm sure the aisles were wider so Waitrose have crammed it to the max. It is way too popular now, shoppers must be coming from a wide area so if queues are necessary that's a no-no from me and I'm not returning.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
It would be great if supermarkets could provide motorhome service points - water fill, black waste disposal. There would be a cost to the infrastructure so I'd expect they would need to charge for use. It would also take out spaces from other customer use, so probably not practical except in the largest of the out of town stores.

Parking space is a separate issue. Realistically even a PVC is too wide to fit a standard space, let alone the length. Go at a quieter time and, providing there aren't height barriers, and you won't upset anyone by parking to a rear area across a couple of bays. But motorhomes aren't the only larger vehicle visiting supermarkets. Many people have a transit or similar as their primary or only vehicle. Parking at supermarkets has traditionally been set out for cars, based on ancient standards of 2.4m wide, 4.8m length. Many modern cars don't fit properly anymore. On paper it's a problem if they use wider spacings due to loss of parking, but in practice that would help most customers. But it would be great if supermarkets, especially those with larger car parks, could allocate some wide / long spaces even if tucked at the rear, for general use by all "oversize" not just motorhomes.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Wouldn't be ideal if supermarkets installed one of those fancy cassette cleaning machines, instead of just a black waste point? If it was locked in a self contained building... £10 deposit to get the key, £5 back on return [or full refund with appropriate shopping].
I don't think space is an issue as most supermarkets seem to find space for assorted recycling skips, clothes shoes etc

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Sainsbury's Leek let you park no services though,

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
I don't think space is an issue as most supermarkets seem to find space for assorted recycling skips, clothes shoes etc
They've removed all those from our local supermarkets. Probably something to do with trade waste or whatever technicality the council can come up with.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Would be nice to have a map of those stores that have dedicated space available for parking for oversize vehicles, such as MH's (whilst shopping). Might encourage some discussion if the word got out that there are such places around.
keith

would that be a lot of extra work on your moonfruit site?

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Some people think they can drive through !!!!
unnamed.jpg

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
keith

would that be a lot of extra work on your moonfruit site?
Yes but how would I know which sites are going to be offering this service?
It will be easy to find all the SM's as they are all on Google maps.
It would depend on how many will give me the info!

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Yes but how would I know which sites are going to be offering this service?
It will be easy to find all the SM's as they are all on Google maps.
It would depend on how many will give me the info!
It wasn't my intention to give or suggest additional work for you as I'm sure you already have enough on your plate !! Best wishes, Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back