Sail and Trail, Newark. My Experience. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
J

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Thats the whole point Dave, I clearly explained what I had, I have some experiance with this as I live in the sticks and installed a lpg gas hob in my kitchen, so when I got the box back home and eventually looked at the valve it was just that a valve not a regulator. If they had sold this to somebody else who took them at there word, they would have just installed the valve on top of the copper pipe, without the regulator. The changeover system I have on my house is a 2 in 1 valve and regulator, which when I was fisrt talking to the salesmen, this is what he was intumating at.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Reminds me of my drama's with an MTS system installed at a show many moons ago. They went belly up shortly after:)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Leaving aside the problems with the parts supplied. If JB0371, or any others on here made a modification to their gas system on their MHs, do they have to get it checked and signed off by someone qualified in MH gas safety ?

Just wondering what an insurance Co might say if you made a claim for a written off MH after a fire caused by incorrect gas installation ?

Reason I ask this, is that I am authorised to work on really high pressure gas stuff and theoretically can legally work on my own domestic boiler gas side, but I always get it serviced by a registered Gas Installer to prevent any hassle with the home insurance if it goes bang.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Leaving aside the problems with the parts supplied. If JB0371, or any others on here made a modification to their gas system on their MHs, do they have to get it checked and signed off by someone qualified in MH gas safety ?

No.

Motorhomes are not covered by GSIUR apart from in a few specific cases - if they're permanently sited, if they're used for commercial purposes or if they're hired out.

There is no specific qualification for motorhomes - to work on leisure vehicles in the situations above you need a specific ACS qualification for appliances in caravans in addition to CCLP1. That's it.

More info here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/ocs/400-499/440_34.htm

Think about it: if all motorhomes or caravans were included you wouldn't be allowed to swap your own bottles as it would count as a modification.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think this Thread illustrates very well that though the regulations may allow you to do this sort of work you shouldn't unless you have the knowledge and experience to be able to source, identify and fit the correct bits.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think this Thread illustrates very well that though the regulations may allow you to do this sort of work you shouldn't unless you have the knowledge and experience to be able to source, identify and fit the correct bits.

Exactly right.

The other thing is the correct type of experience. A high level engineer who might have the best possible grasp of the theory and might have qualifications coming out of his ears and letters after his name but who has probably never actually even touched a piece of pipe is unlikely to have the knowledge and experience to do this type of job themselves.

The electrical threads are often just the same - lots of people who are great with the theory but don't have a clue how things work in the real world.

NOTE: This is a generalisation and not aimed at anyone in particular.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Having read this, I am even more happy that, despite being fairly handy, I had autogas fit my system.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The "Know-it-all-but-know-nothing" and the "Armchair Experts that hang out on forums" thing, is often used to deride forums. but in my experience if you follow a thread to the end, the truth/best-practise/correct answer will always be found. Every single one of the contributors to the thread, right or wrong, play their part in getting to the right answer.

Now I appreciate that many times there are more than one correct answer and an opinion or two will creep in. That said, I've challenged people before, we have nearly 2 million posts, show me a single thread where someone has been given bad or or ill-thought out advice and it's not been put right by the end of the discussion.

Seek advice from just one 'expert' and if he's wrong your stuck. I'd prefer to take my chances with the so called armchair experts, between them their experience is invariably spot on. Viva la Forums :)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
No.

Think about it: if all motorhomes or caravans were included you wouldn't be allowed to swap your own bottles as it would count as a modification.

I disagree about swapping bottles being a modification. If that was the case then swapping a fuse in a plug top would be a modification, which it clearly isn't !!

I would class a modification to the gas system being changing the pipework or regulators from that which was originally installed.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well to avoid this, we ask does it have a mounted regulator?

If the answer is no, we decline the work

It saves lots of grief lol

In theory everything registered since 2004 has a 30Mb fixed regulator

In my opinion, if a customer has an older vehicle (pre 2004) it's more their responsibility to advise us, rather than us guess.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I disagree about swapping bottles being a modification. If that was the case then swapping a fuse in a plug top would be a modification, which it clearly isn't !!

Strictly speaking it is actually but we'll leave that alone

It's not really that same though. Changing a fuse in a plug isn't interfering with integral system connections. Swapping a gas bottle is.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Not clear. I saw a salesman and told him what I had (lpg system) on my van and that I wanted an auto changeover valve etc with 2nd gas it bottle, what wasnt clear? He advised me wrongly and the gas it guys said it could be potentially dangerous. I asked the saleman to advise me as a proffessional of lpg systems, so he could supply me with the correct parts, I am more than capable of installing, I didnt just buy something then install it and then blow myself up. There are plenty of posts on here and other forums I am on with people just buying things installing them and then wondering why they dont work or get hurt. Any further clarification needed?
What you doing asking a saleman for advice, they know s**t and they lie, bad move

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Strictly speaking it is actually but we'll leave that alone

It's not really that same though. Changing a fuse in a plug isn't interfering with integral system connections. Swapping a gas bottle is.
It is if you put the wrong size fuse in
From the armchair spark(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In theory everything registered since 2004 has a 30Mb fixed regulator
Glad you said in theory, Hymer and other German manufacturers still fit bottle top regulators unless you order a changeover valve, so in theory most of the vans produced in the EU have bottle top regulators.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back