Safety and Legality of Side Facing Seats? (1 Viewer)

Red_48

Free Member
Aug 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Sprinter CDI313 LWB
Exp
My 2013 Sprinter came with a forward facing Mercedes double passenger bench seat fitted behind the cab. The vehicle is registered with DVLA as having 5 seats, all 5 with working 3 point belts.

I’m considering mounting the bench seat lengthwise along the side of the van but want to make sure there are no legal restrictions or safety concerns with lap and cross body belts.

Can anyone advise?

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I'm not an expert in this matter but if approved with forward facing seats and seatbelts - no way would mounting the bench seat lengthwise be acceptable. The seatbelts would be mounted sideways for a start.

Last edited:

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I'm no expert either, but:

As far as I am aware, there is not a legal restriction for a VAN, but from a safety point of view the seat belts would be totally ineffective in most collisions - so for me it would be a NO don't do it

For a motor caravans after 2007 you can not have side facing seats - so it's another NO

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Not the answer to your query but would you put your kids in there and be happy, or the mother-in-law?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In a severe frontal impact a side facing seat offers little support.
A belt will possible cause more bodily damage than it could ever prevent.
The shoulder strap would cause severe, possibly life threatening, injuries to one side of your neck or you would simply slip out of it from the other depending if it was left or right.
The lap belt would cause severe hip and pelvic injuries as you slide sideways at many times your body weight (G forces).
Seat belts are designed to hold back your whole upper body from the front, not bits of it from the side.

OP
OP
Red_48

Red_48

Free Member
Aug 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Sprinter CDI313 LWB
Exp
Thanks all

Shiny Paul.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2017
Thaxted, Essex.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
30 years of weekends away motor racing.
When I built my racevan i was told by law side facing seats are ok and DO not need seatbelts, but strangely if you have a dog in the van it must have a seatbelt on !!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When I built my racevan i was told by law side facing seats are ok and DO not need seatbelts, but strangely if you have a dog in the van it must have a seatbelt on !!!
Maybe so, but DVLA also stipulate how many travel seats you have and DVLA will never class a side facing seat in a Motorhome as a travel seat.

Can you post a link to either regulation.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Fastest ever solution for you, sorry, but ask your insurance company what effect the changes to the construction of your type approved motorhome will have on insurance and premiums.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
A dog doesn't have to be restrained but if you have an accident blame may be laid at the dog and you for driving without due care i believe.
What would the likely penalty be for the dog for driving without due care? On the occasions when I let the dog drive, I sometimes think she is a better driver than I am, which irks somewhat.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
What would the likely penalty be for the dog for driving without due care? On the occasions when I let the dog drive, I sometimes think she is a better driver than I am, which irks somewhat.

Think you missed the two YOU'S in my post ;)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A dog doesn't have to be restrained but if you have an accident blame may be laid at the dog and you for driving without due care i believe.
Unfortunately rule 57 of the seatbelt section of the highway code says it does.
Not tethered to an immovable object but restrained from becoming a distraction in normal driving and a ballistic missile in an accident.
Could be in a dog cage or behind a dog guard.

Ex-partners mum used to drive with one yorky terrier on her lap and one round her shoulders like a scarf... Mad!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back