Safeguard (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
insurance is due next week, just doing the phoning round for the best price.

Currently with the c&c club, but just spoke to safeguard & they seem to offer so much
more for the same money.

Anybody have good or bad experiences with Safeguard? Too good to be true?

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I'm with them and think they offer a good deal. They allow me to park in secure storage OR on the road outside my house... And offer AA cover including European for just an xtra £80.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Was with them for 12 years... Good all in package with the breakdown etc..
Had to use breakdown twice, one in Spain and one in Germany.. No problems, got sorted and it was a good thing to be able to call safeguard direct and they helped liase between me and the breakdown.
Also had a large claim when a stolen car was driving into the side of our van.. Everything sorted and premiums never moved the year after....
Moved to Comfort (aviva) 2 years ago and only because offer a claim back on breakdowns for Morocco.. Their package is the same and actually slightly cheaper (£30) for me.. But never had to claim off them...

OUCH !!!
smash 5 comp.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have used them for years also. Good when you need to claim..friendly and professional. I stick with them as they are one of the only insurers that will cover on VIN number when Importing a camper. They also cover for 30 days when others only offer 14. With the DVLA move to Swansea it can take the month to get a van registered

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
I started with Safeguard in 2005. Went to MHF in 2010 to save money on a then older van. Back with Safeguard again now, for the same reasons as Judgemental. Only quibble is their sales/new policy staff can give inconsistent misleading information over the phone.

That last is a particular gripe of mine and seems to pervade phone customer services everywhere - they must recruit people who are both pleasant on the phone and can speak rubbish with authority.

Dave

chrisgog

Free Member
Dec 24, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Have had to claim twice for accidents to Safeguard and sorted with no problems. They are one of the better ones. Currently with them but always shop around usually between caravanguard, saga and safeguard
Cheaper isn't always best!
Chris

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yes , have been with Safeguard for a few years now, a complete cover including European rescue etc. Have never made a claim , touch wood , not the cheapest but fewer restrictions.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Only quibble is their sales/new policy staff can give inconsistent misleading information over the phone.

Dave

I ran into that with my latest import in February this year..young chap on phone adamant that I could not insure on VIN..I asked to talk to someone who knew what they were doing and he was completely misinformed...

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
On this subject, I've just sent a PM to Chippy because in the current MMM there is an offer by Safeguard to NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY of £50 back 90 days after taking out their Insurance. Thought it might be of interest to others looking to change.
You have to quote FIFTY MMM. This is 'exclusively to MMM readers Ahhm . and over the phone only.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Wished i'd known that earlier emmitdb :rolleyes: just insured with Comfort but am quite happy with theirs (y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
On this subject, I've just sent a PM to Chippy because in the current MMM there is an offer by Safeguard to NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY of £50 back 90 days after taking out their Insurance. Thought it might be of interest to others looking to change.
You have to quote FIFTY MMM. This is 'exclusively to MMM readers Ahhm . and over the phone only.
Be sure to mention the code AFTER the quote (y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Another code (from NEC show) for new customers only is NEC14 which may work out better for some at 25% off - need to call on 08009951415 for this. Have read good & bad on here about Safeguard so not endorsing them but may be handy for some of you if this is who you choose having compared all the options.

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi,We have just had to renew cover Safeguard £495 and Comfort £324 so there you go.includes Euro cover for 90 days legal cover and £3000 personal items,regards H.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi,We have just had to renew cover Safeguard £495 and Comfort £324 so there you go.includes Euro cover for 90 days legal cover and £3000 personal items,regards H.

Hmm.....I just had my renewal quote from safeguard and despite what others have said about saying you have been offered cheaper elsewhere, they wont budge.... think I will ring around. sounds like they treat new customers a lot better than established ones!:cautious:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
My renewal was about £295 and despite telling them I had a cheaper offer "Tracey" who didn't have the best telephone manner and was dismissive in tone (take it or leave it) wouldn't budge either.
The problem was that taking everything into account Safeguard was a better deal.
It isn't always, just about money. The add ons are worth quite a lot.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I have just switched to safeguard and a better deal all round for EU cover plus UK and EU breakdown -The policy shows a £100 discount ( presumeably this is an introductory discount which will not be available at the next renewal)

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph Approach
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi we pick up our new van on the 7th March, thought we were set to insure with Comfort but today when we told them it would be stored on a pitch on a site they said they would not insure it.
We used to have our caravan sited on this pitch for the season and stored there in the winter. As we can't have the MH at home we thought this a good solution. Wife has not been in good health lately so we thought even if we can't go away with the MH for the next few months we could go to the site for the weekends and stay. Wife's treatment should be over by early summer so we will be going away with the MH at every opportunity after that.
Got the insurance through the CC in the end, a bit more expensive but needs must.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Been with Safeguard for four years now. Had them out twice last year for breakdowns in quite remote areas and in both cases problem sorted and back on the road within 90 mins. Excellent service lots of followup once you phone with problem - call you back and give you updates on how long it will be before help arrives. Renewed again this year £314 and includes European cover - what is not to like!!!!?

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I have been insured with cc for the last two years policy due today cost £526 rang safeguard cost £466 with a lot more ie European breakdown so today I rang cc insurance told them what I had been quoted and all the extras they re quoted and low and behold £454
I think the insurance company's give loyal customers a raw deal.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just insured our motorhome through Safeguard (Swinton/Allianz). Was quoted £458 then told them of Comforts quote of £302 and while I waited on the phone reduced their price to £348.00. Their cover is superb, unlimited mileage, UK & European AA cover, only £150 excess. I had to go with them as I only have the VIN number right now. Once we get the motorhome back to the UK I've got 30 days to get a few things changed round for British roads, mot'd and registered with the DVLA. I found Ben very helpful and informative. So far so good.

Thanks Antony

shano118

Free Member
Feb 16, 2015
west sussex
Funster No
MH
buying one soon
Exp
hi team, … so safe guard phoned me back today… this is safe guard the motorhome insurance company….so the phone call was going very well.. 5 mins in to the call i told her "i was going to be living in it for a year"… oh.! she said we don't do insurance for motorhomes if your living in it….. with that i said thanks for wasting my time good bye...

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Just insured our motorhome through Safeguard (Swinton/Allianz). Was quoted £458 then told them of Comforts quote of £302 and while I waited on the phone reduced their price to £348.00. Their cover is superb, unlimited mileage, UK & European AA cover, only £150 excess. I had to go with them as I only have the VIN number right now. Once we get the motorhome back to the UK I've got 30 days to get a few things changed round for British roads, mot'd and registered with the DVLA. I found Ben very helpful and informative. So far so good.

Thanks Antony

£150 excess is not a plus point.
Anyone considering a claim of anything under a grand is foolhardy as not only will it put your premium up but the premium on any other vehicles too.
No claims protection only protects your no claims discount it does not prevent your premium being increased
Conclusion is take the highest excess you can get and lower your quote.

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Used them for 2 years, admin fee was £ 25.00 last year, £ 20.00 the year before. They provide uk AA cover as part of the deal. Im not sure at the moment, but i like the AA bit. I also have AA cover for my car, ie, it covers me only in any vehicle. A bit lost why i am paying for 2 lots of AA cover, abeit different types of vehicle, so calling AA tomorrow to try and sort out. Will however start to look at other Insurers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back