Safefill instead of gaslow? Cheaper option? (1 Viewer)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
FB_IMG_1515194106983.jpg
could you use these instead of gaslow as a fixed refill system?
Says it cuts off at 80% and they can stand twice as much burst pressure as their steel counterparts.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can not be installed with an external filler. They are a single hole bottle you have to disconnect the output and fit an adaptor to fill. Difficult to fill in place.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Can not be installed with an external filler. They are a single hole bottle you have to disconnect the output and fit an adaptor to fill. Difficult to fill in place.
They seemed like a great option to me UNTIL I worked out what Lenny has just described. Then their appeal quickly disappeared from my perspective. The hassle of having to disconnect it - and possibly remove the bottle from the van - each time you want a top up of gas, was a deal-breaker for me. There is then the potential difficulty of finding somewhere that will let you fill them.

Shame, because it otherwise looks like a pretty good product.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you want a light weight refillable go for Alugas they are also avalible in 14kg if your locker is tall enough to take them. I have 2 x 14kg Alugas cylinders.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
WE Have been using "EASYFILL for the last three years have NEVER had any problems filling them.

1 There no need to take them out to fill them.
2 We have two bottles side by side, so one is always connected.
3 When one is empty we just drive along side of the filling pump and fill.
4 When one empty you just swop the connection over to the full, hand tighten. That's hard work!!
5 you can see when they are getting empty.
6 You have not got to drill holes through you van.
7 When you sell the van you can take everything with you.
8 As above we have been using them for over three years. Have filled them in, UK, France,Holland, Germany, Slovenia and Croatia.
9 Only once have I been stopped from filling that was in France and I am sure what ever system I had they would not allowed me to fill.
10 Of course make sure you have the correct adapters for each country you visit, I bought mine from Safefill

Go for it they are brilliant and you want to pay some one hundreds of pounds to fit them.

Any other questions pm me.

colyboy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
WE Have been using "EASYFILL for the last three years have NEVER had any problems filling them.

1 There no need to take them out to fill them.
It depends where your gas locker is, a lot of vans it is inside the garage and would be impossible or at the least very difficult to fill without taking the bottles out.

Have you been able to fill with the new fillers they are fitting to the pumps, they are a lot bigger than the old ones and have a large flange to protect your hands can't see you getting one of those inside a gas locker.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Lenny B
filled up yesterday at BP station in Devon, no problem.

colyboy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It depends where your gas locker is, a lot of vans it is inside the garage and would be impossible or at the least very difficult to fill without taking the bottles out.

Have you been able to fill with the new fillers they are fitting to the pumps, they are a lot bigger than the old ones and have a large flange to protect your hands can't see you getting one of those inside a gas locker.
Agree with that Lenny, had this issue with filling our Gaslow ones ... the 'in-locker' filler position didn't allow for the massive 'protector' we found on one gas pump nozzle which was annoying as it was blooming cheap gas and cost us another 10p a litre as we had to go elsewhere! (n)

It depends on your locker location and door access as to whether they are easy filling or not. Having been refused filling in Spain a couple of times I put a filler outside instead, no hassle at all now and quicker/easier than messing about having to do it in the locker itself.

Just a word of caution ... if anyone DOES go down the Safefill route make sure you get actual Safefill foreign pump adaptors/connectors as Safefill have the opposite thread on their bottles to all other refillable ones!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi lenny they have a built in adapter for filling I have one on my bbq and simply ask at the filling station if ok to fill. Sometimes the owner etc will have a look but I have not been refused gill yet

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have Gaslow with external filling point so is easy to refil and have only been checked once in France.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi lenny they have a built in adapter for filling I have one on my bbq and simply ask at the filling station if ok to fill. Sometimes the owner etc will have a look but I have not been refused gill yet
How can it be built in on a single hole bottle?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oops. ..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
How can it be built in on a single hole bottle?
it is...and you simply screw the regulator into the end of the adapter neck ....it also has a none return valve built in to stop gas escaping once filled

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Safefill

Our set up, photo.

Colyboy

Attachments

• E53B16AB-DA89-432E-872A-9F313C7678DC.jpeg
    E53B16AB-DA89-432E-872A-9F313C7678DC.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 98DA8FEE-9E27-432F-8B75-C112C47713A6.jpeg
    98DA8FEE-9E27-432F-8B75-C112C47713A6.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 151

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
it is...and you simply screw the regulator into the end of the adapter neck ....it also has a none return valve built in to stop gas escaping once filled
I think there's a misunderstanding here, by 'built it' I and Lenny think that it is permanently fitted to the gas system and the filler is a separate inlet to this (as with a gaslow/gasit built-in system) but you do actually have to remove the regulator to fill it, therefore it's not 'built-in' in the usual sense of the word.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The refilling adapter bit is built into the bottle neck and yes you do have to remove regulator to fill the bottle then re conect the regulator which screws into the adapter bit ....if you don't understand what I mean I can take pics
Terry

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
Have twin 13kg gaslow bottles so easy to fill up. External filler £30 to fill both from empty. Plus I normally fill it every 3rd trip then you know it's pretty much always full

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
After the Calor Lite debacle I think we will be going the Alugas route. Was talking to a tugger in Webbs some months back who had Safefill, he commented that it was getting increasingly more difficult to find places that allowed him to fill up. I just want an easy life so external filler point is a must have for me.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
RowleyBirkinQC

I am sorry but I can’t believe your tugger friend. As I stated I have been using Safefill for over three years, and have been refused once only.

I use a lot of gas as we tend to camp mostly off site. Not sure how much we do use, but we are away at least five months of year. So been refused once is not to bad. I sure what ever system I had that particular filling would not have allowed any body to fill.

Colyboy

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
RowleyBirkinQC

I am sorry but I can’t believe your tugger friend. As I stated I have been using Safefill for over three years, and have been refused once only.

I use a lot of gas as we tend to camp mostly off site. Not sure how much we do use, but we are away at least five months of year. So been refused once is not to bad. I sure what ever system I had that particular filling would not have allowed any body to fill.

Colyboy
The tugger was a random guy who struck up conversation as I was looking at the refillable gas products in the dealers, so I know nothing about the reality of his experiences, only what he claimed. I wonder if he may have been taking the Safefill bottles to the garage in the boot of his car and getting them out on the forecourt to refill? If so, I’m not really that surprised if he was refused on occasion.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The refilling adapter bit is built into the bottle neck and yes you do have to remove regulator to fill the bottle then re conect the regulator which screws into the adapter bit ....if you don't understand what I mean I can take pics
Terry
I think I know what you mean a pic would help.

Edit: I see you have posted some.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Safefill

Our set up, photo.

Colyboy
I can't see any advantage they have, I noticed you only have one bottle connected.
No price advantage, a lot dearer that an 11kg Gas-it 2 hole bottle, same price as an 11kg Alugas when you take into account the ridiculously high price of the filling adaptors. Also only 10kg I have Alugas 14kg bottles. I haven't priced in the external filler cost as then wouldn't be a like for like comparison.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've used a Safefill and thought it was great, just the one single bottle. Very light to take out and refill, just the same as if it were a BBQ, so had no problems refilling. It's just a shame it doesn't fit this van. Curses

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years

That's right Lenny, we made a mistake and bought Safefill, but as our gas locker is inside garage it is very awkward to fill, if we had a separate locker they would be great, expensive mistake again. Will be for sale soon

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
In fact today I took one to my local BP station in the back of the car, one of the staff helped me fill I!!!!! You win some and lose some!

colyboy
Try doing that in Spain, Portugal or Italy, you will get kicked off the forecourt.:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
In fact today I took one to my local BP station in the back of the car, one of the staff helped me fill I!!!!! You win some and lose some!

colyboy
Have you tried that abroad?

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I to have a Safefill bottle, have never had any problems getting it filled. I take it out of the van and use it in my workshop with a heater in winter as well!

I fill it in the gas locker when on holiday if required, but usually I take it out and stick it in the boot of the car and fill it up at my regular local LPG station before we go away.

If I was using the van a lot and keeping it for a long time then I may consider getting one of the "plumbed in" options just for the convenience of having both bottles permanently connected. As I am though, the Safefill does just fine. Very handy being able to see the gas level - just give the bottle a push from side to side and you can see the level easily enough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back