Safefil gas leak (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Saw some post on here in May re leaking Safefil. Mine is approx 12mths old and has been no problem thus far however today I washed MH down and pottered in and out of house and at approx 5pm i got a strong smell of gas.The smaller 8kg was connected so checked and could find nothing amiss, however I could hear a hissing sound from the newer 10kg. Its been on the van at least a month since it was topped up has not been touched apart from relocating it. When I gently shake the cylinder I can hear the hissing. It appears to stop after a while then as soon as it is moved it starts again. The only difference today it was very hot and the way van is parked it is sun facing. Any sensible advice would be appreciated. Of course tru to form no emergancy contact No for Safefil!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Soapy water over the joints and do you minor shake if it's hissing then you should have no trouble locateing any leaks.
Might just need a tighten up on a joint

OP
OP
S
Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi done that but no joy. Just had a look at it and it had stopped hissing, luckily I held onto my Calor 6kg, so its just the not knowing.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
If I remember correctly the other thread results were that the pig tail had the shaped grommet on the end missing or not properly fitted after moving the cylinder.
May be worth having a look.

OP
OP
S
Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi its not even been connected since refilled as the van is on the old 8kg, but have tried the usual soapy water

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I checked the grommet as well and it is in place on the connected bottle. Just had a call off the guy who services van and he reckons it may be something to do with heat and as it is full the pressure has built up and he thinks that there is a safety pressure release valve and its that doing its job. I will check again in the morning in the cool part of the day and put his theory to test, It maybe that the pressure was even too much to allow the gas to flow after opening the valve. I just checked it and if has stopped leaking and hissing.Thanks for your advice ,I will keep you posted as to the outcome.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Sounds like the PRV is lifting. Possible overfill .
Hot weather will soon let you know .
Have you recently filled the cylinder ?
Message me if you like

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back