Sadly its another toilet thread, advice please folks? (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We're off for a few days tomorrow & I've spent yesterday cleaning the toilet cassette etc. The blade has been properly lubricated with silicone spray.
Hazel Mrsambulancekidd tried to pop the cassette back in & it refused to go all the way home.
I assumed that the blade control was in the wrong position, but no, Hazel was right, it wouldn't go.
I gave it a bit of a shove & it went in albeit grudgingly.

Now the blade wont open from inside, but its working perfectly on the cassette itself, can any funsters give me any advice how to fix it before we (or should that be wee?) go?

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi!

I was looking at the Out&AboutLive website earlier, and came across this article - if you scroll down through the article thereā€™s a section about toilet cassette problems, which may be if use (apologies if not!). Good luck I hope you get it sorted before you head off on your trip. šŸ¤žšŸ”§

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
Yeah +1 for the sliding flap, I've done the same myself.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My blade control came disconnected on one occassion. The mechanism pivots on a single screw which had unscrewed, meaning no connection between the internal control and the blade operating knob on the cassette. Easily fixed, once you find the screw.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I see they're still recommending adding 3 L of water after emptying. Daft it just means it needs emptying again much sooner.
I certainly don't, ie, I just add enough water to dissolve the washing powder tablet I am just about to drop in there. It's worked for me for many years. šŸ‘

Cheers,

Jock. šŸ™‚

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Flap in upside down or wrong way round. Donā€™t flap about it you will solve it soonšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Or you could ask the lady next door to show you her flap so that you can compare them šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
We are meeting up with a friend who has a MH, I don't think we will be comparing flaps though.šŸ¤ØšŸ˜

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It's Soddes Law that the orientation of the sliding flap on my cassette has been designed in such a way that when tipping the cassette to vertical at an emptying point the slider can slide down by itself and fall into the disposal receptacle.
If the cassette is less than half full I remove the slider before emptying.

I just add enough water to dissolve the washing powder tablet I am just about to drop in there. šŸ™‚
Hmm, I think I'd find one of those tablets impossible to swallow.

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Ohhh woe is me! I feel your pain...

We had issues with our jobby box last /we; it wouldn't close.

I had to disinfect it, dismantle the removable circular lid, put my hands in side to retrieve the components and rebuild the mechanism which seems a bit weak.

Keep it clean, keep it lubricated, don't overfill it and treat it gently when emptying and rinsing - no big swirlies and dunts to get the big jobs out!

Not, NOT an job I would like to repeat. Next time I will buy a new mechanism - Ā£45 off Fleabay. I don't want to be washing shite off my hands ever again.

Good luck and mind your flap.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Not, NOT an job I would like to repeat. Next time I will buy a new mechanism - Ā£45 off Fleabay. I don't want to be washing shite off my hands ever again.

What a Wuss you are!
When I was charter skippering I had to frequently dismantle the boats' faulty loos to remove toothpaste tube caps, Biro tops, cotton buds, screws, pieces of Lego and various unmentionables. That was in spite of a notice saying:
'Put nothing down this loo which hasn't been eaten or drunk'.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Buy a new cassette , fix the old one then you can wild camp for longer , plus see how the new one goes together , they are not mad expensive .

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
if while the cassette is removed the flushing handle (in the bathroom) is accidentally moved to flush it can damage the little fork shaped bit / the springs inside the cassette cubicle. That makes it difficult to operate the slide. Yes I know this the hard way.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Always good advice.
91264179_1435495043290711_8591247662286635008_n.jpg

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Flap in upside down or wrong way round. Donā€™t flap about it you will solve it soonšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Or you could ask the lady next door to show you her flap so that you can compare them šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
I think that might not be what the lady next door expects, our travel partner is a young widow who hasn't had her motorhome out since her hubby died & if I start mentioning flaps.....I'd like lilies on my coffin. :Eeek:

As I've said before, I'm always in the shit, its just the depth that varies, thunderbox repair coming up.

This toilet thread might well go down the tubes....Oh God.

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ohhh woe is me! I feel your pain...

We had issues with our jobby box last /we; it wouldn't close.

I had to disinfect it, dismantle the removable circular lid, put my hands in side to retrieve the components and rebuild the mechanism which seems a bit weak.

Keep it clean, keep it lubricated, don't overfill it and treat it gently when emptying and rinsing - no big swirlies and dunts to get the big jobs out!

Good luck and mind your flap.
You should be so lucky!. It`s JUST your hands. (Nuff Said) :( :( (the rest of the story is NOT pre breakfast reading!!:rolleyes:)

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
OK, all those who said I had a flap problem, your correct, collect a coconut on your way out lol. (y) ::bigsmile:

We're Castle Douglas on our favourite CL site, sun is shining, dogs have been running about & are having a snooze now & we're having a nice cuppa.

Thnks to all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back