Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just put this on a new thread ...

Just got off the phone with NFU - if I travel through France - even without stopping, then travel insurance will be void for the entire trip!

Same applies if the FCO put an advice on say Norway - if I go into the country my travel insurance will be void.

So, no eurotunnel for me - looks like a ferry to Holland as long as they haven't stopped us going there yet. That also means Sweden is a no go! Some rethinking required

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Here is the route I have planned using Search for Sites and Camper Contact, some paid, some free. I am taking enough food for the entire journey, not stopping for shopping, everything is on board.

It is pedal to the metal - total route not allowing for detours is 5500 miles and around 105 hours of driving in total.

Departing 10th September - get back 16th October which allows me 2 days in Copenhagen, 2 days in Stockholm, 4 days in and around Tromso, 2 days Helsinki, 2 days Riga, 2 days Warsaw and 2 days Hannover.

Military operation - travelling days depart by 6:30am arriving at each place in good time to get settled and explore the rest of the day, electric bike on board so ready to rock and roll - just waiting for the Ocado truck to deliver the food next Wednesday :LOL:

Will be sure to send photos and updates

Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 14.14.49.png
Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 14.14.49.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Wow, that’s brilliant. Wishing you all the best for a fabulous journey just experiencing the big empty spaces.
Will certainly be following your progress from my sofa ! :giggle:

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
If time allows on your route out from Sweden and the weather is good, head towards Narvick then onto the Lofoten Islands, back via Narvick then onto Tromso. It would be such a great shame that having gone all that way you do not use your time to visit Lofoten. If the weather is clear area is beautiful and well worth a visit. iF you goal is to see the Nothan lights, the Lofoten islands is listed as one of the great spotting areas. In fact they have a NASA station there that monitors them:

Lofoten Islands Northern Lights
Featured snippet from the web
A lot of scenery can be found near Reine and Hamnøy. The beaches of the Lofoten Islands are one of the best places to shoot the Northern Lights in Norway and around the world. With breathtaking scenery around you, they offer the perfect background for Northern Lights photography.

Lofoten is situated just beneath the auroral oval, a belt of light that encircles the geomagnetic poles and provides some of the best chances of seeing the northern lights.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Nice trip but sorry I would think of the wider picture and stay home personally plenty of places in the U.K. to visit.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If time allows on your route out from Sweden and the weather is good, head towards Narvick then onto the Lofoten Islands, back via Narvick then onto Tromso. It would be such a great shame that having gone all that way you do not use your time to visit Lofoten. If the weather is clear area is beautiful and well worth a visit. iF you goal is to see the Nothan lights, the Lofoten islands is listed as one of the great spotting areas. In fact they have a NASA station there that monitors them:
Thanks - have enough time to do that - will pop it into the route

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Lofoten Islands Northern Lights
Featured snippet from the web
A lot of scenery can be found near Reine and Hamnøy. The beaches of the Lofoten Islands are one of the best places to shoot the Northern Lights in Norway and around the world. With breathtaking scenery around you, they offer the perfect background for Northern Lights photography.

Lofoten is situated just beneath the auroral oval, a belt of light that encircles the geomagnetic poles and provides some of the best chances of seeing the northern lights.

The app Aurura watch is good for alerts and predictions. You don’t want to go to sleep after all that driving and miss them !

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Nice trip but sorry I would think of the wider picture and stay home personally plenty of places in the U.K. to visit.
Just seems to be too busy in the UK - I need the wild blue yonder and Northern Lights been on my list for along time

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
It’s on my bucket list too but I want to be alive and breathing to pass on the memories.

Hence I’m staying home but best of luck and plenty of photos please.

Just seems to be too busy in the UK - I need the wild blue yonder and Northern Lights been on my list for along time

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
The amount of driving and scenery watching that you will be doing by its nature you will be isolating. You would be more likely to catch the bug in the UK than on this trip as you will be on your own all the way.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Just North of Narvick are the monuments to the defence by Norway against the German invasion. Again fantastic scenery with some interesting stories.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
We made the decision to leave for Europe on 16th August. We're now in Portugal enjoying sunny, cloudless days.
I'm Currently sat on a terrace enjoying a cold Sagres in 34°c. 👍
The aire we're at usually has many Brit, Dutch, French, German and Belgian visitors. This year, we're one of two Brits here and there are no French, Belgians, Dutch or Germans here and haven't been for the last week. However, there are many more Portugese and Spanish motorhomes than usual. I guess staycations are big in 2020.
I can see the scamdemic is having the desired effect in keeping people from travelling due to the "fear" of Covid and the fear of quarantine, the punishment for having the cheek to want to spend time holidaying in a foreign country.
We're trying our best to forget the scamdemic in the same way as we're ignoring Brexit. 😁
Have a great time away and meet (a few less) like minded people. 👍

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
What did you use to create that map with the pins?
Brilliant app called road trip planner - there is a Mac, and iOS n]and iPadOS version - no Windows version I think. I use it for all our longer trips. Interacts with google and apple maps as well
Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 15.06.37.png
Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 15.06.37.png

You can plan a whole trip, it was it, times it etc - screenshot below

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Brilliant app called road trip planner - there is a Mac, and iOS n]and iPadOS version - no Windows version I think. I use it for all our longer trips. Interacts with google and apple maps as well
If possible can you post a link to the app - because Road Trip Planner brings up a lot of alternatives...

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Personally I'd have done the Hull/Amsterdam ferry.
It will save you two-three days driving and starts you off with breakfast in Germany.

Also I'd have added in a bit more of northern Norway, or even driven down to Oslo (amazing route, but not fast as multiple ferries and tunnels)

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Personally I'd have done the Hull/Amsterdam ferry.
It will save you two-three days driving and starts you off with breakfast in Germany.

Also I'd have added in a bit more of northern Norway, or even driven down to Oslo (amazing route, but not fast as multiple ferries and tunnels)
Normally would do Hull/Rotterdam but on my non covid journey I don't want to be overnighting on the ferry!

I go straight down and through the tunnel, quick stop and on to Dusseldorf - long drive button too much timing delay

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We’ve done the trip twice. First time ferry from Travemunde to Malmo, nine hour ferry. Second time, drove up through Denmark almost to the top, took ferry from Fredrikshaven to Gothenburg as had the dog this time and dog can come on the deck with you, then took the inland road up through Sweden and via Kiruna to Narvik in Norway. You will be sick of spruce trees and lakes by the time you get there, but both such lovely countries for wild camping where it is accepted to do so. You will come across some beautiful places to camp.

Enjoy your trip. Envious, not at all, 😭😭😭😭😭

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We were told you need to be well well on way south by end of September or you might not get out till spring
We own a transport company and have taken artics to far north Norway much later then that in the year ,snow chains legal requirement .one year it was a bit hairy apparently others not a problem
Because they are used to snow ,their roads are kept clear

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Anyone confirm that I can get a toll doohickey on the way in to Denmark covering Denmark, Sweden and Norway?

thanks

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Good luck with your trip....Will be watching with interest. I'll do a similar trip one day👍

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Interesting trip you have there. I "cruised" up there courtesy of various Shipping Co`s back in the 60`s and 70`s. The first time was as a 14 year old on a Hull Trawler, Fishing the Barents Sea during the "Summer" holidays, Wouldn't happen now, 2x14 year old`s, let loose amongst all that unguarded gear!. H&SE would have kittens. Any-Way enjoy. What I remember most is/was just how cold it can get, Get several pairs of Mrs cejayt`s tights for under the Trousers!!.;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back