Ryanair New Baggage Policy - Should be Interesting (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Ah, of course the dogs - I'd forgotten, but that does of course make complete sense. :)

We love travelling in the camper too, but occasionally also like doing other things and sometimes travelling to places it's less practical to go in the van.

New plan for us, we're intending to leave the van garaged in Spain next winter and fly down to use it whenever we can. Have sussed out suitable secure indoor storage a couple of miles from Alicante airport and were impressed when we visited last month. So I feel a few more Ryanair and easyJet trips coming on. ;) Between them, they do three flights a day to Alicante from our local airport. :)

We've often considered going, as many Funsters do, for the whole winter, but for various reasons it's not really practical for us to be away more than about four or five weeks at a time. And generally the van just sits in the cold and rain at home, which isn't particularly healthy for it, so it seemed like a good idea worth trying.

Motor insurance was an issue we needed to resolve, because some companies won't provide cover. But that's in hand now. (y)
Where are you planning to leave the van?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Where are you planning to leave the van?
Chris Parking, a German family-run business. As mentioned, we were impressed when we dropped by, having been invited to call in anytime. Hook-up sockets all round the garage and - if requested - they will put the van on charge periodically to keep the batteries topped up.

http://www.chrisparking.com/

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
The rates on the website are for cars - a bit more for vans, but still very reasonable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Oh I don't know... ;)

And I thought I was late to flying - first time was at the ripe old age of 20. My then girlfriend, now mrs mikebeaches, had been loads of times a s teenager.

First time I flew was on an assessment for my Commercial Pilot's Course and the second time was when I had started the course.

My first time in an airliner(BEA Vanguard) was after I had already being flying solo, coming home for Christmas.

Geoff

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just another anecdote on Ryanair.

Often on landing they play a fanfare if ahead of schedule and announce how 90% punctual they are.

Well the reason is that their scheduled times are more than is needed, but not many people notice, since on most of their routes there is no other airline with which to compare schedules. Also they announce it based on landing times, whereas the schedule arrival time should be the arrival at the gate/stand.

All good Irish Blarney - if you like that sort of thing.

Geoff

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Just another anecdote on Ryanair.

Well the reason is that their scheduled times are more than is needed, but not many people notice, since on most of their routes there is no other airline with which to compare schedules. Also they announce it based on landing times, whereas the schedule arrival time should be the arrival at the gate/stand.

All good Irish Blarney - if you like that sort of thing.

Geoff
I think most airlines (and the railways too) do it these days ie build slack into their schedules.

And I take your point about flying to out-of-the-way airports, although, increasingly, they are competing head on with other operators and flying to more mainstream destinations too.

Interesting concerning 'arrival time'. I've often wondered how it was officially defined:

- touch down?
- arrival on stand or at the gate?
- doors open and passengers exiting the aircraft?

So thanks for the clarification on that point. (y)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
As I flew back only 1 day ago via Ryanair from Alicante I assume you mean about the new cabin bag policy. ?
If so you now carry your hand baggage down as far as the plane steps where you leave it and it goes in the plane hold. They tag it either in the airport lounge, while in the queue or as you start to board.
We flew back from Crete with Easyjet last October and only had hold baggage of the allowed dimensions. One of their staff was going up the boarding queue, putting tags on all hand luggage and saying that they had to go in the hold. At the bottom of the steps to the plane another member of staff was there looking for these tags and taking the bags from passengers to put in the hold. This delayed us at Manchester airport because the baggage handling was so slow to the extent that we missed our train and also the next connection - not good!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the budget airlines are great it used to cost a lot more and having relatives in France we save a lot. You just have to read the small print and beat them at their own game but whan you think about it it was crazy serving food on flights an hour or two long and bundling it in the price. Can't understand why people pay for speedy boarding or queue at the gate to get on to sit longer waiting to take off the companies just look to make money where possible.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We flew back from Crete with Easyjet last October and only had hold baggage of the allowed dimensions. One of their staff was going up the boarding queue, putting tags on all hand luggage and saying that they had to go in the hold. At the bottom of the steps to the plane another member of staff was there looking for these tags and taking the bags from passengers to put in the hold. This delayed us at Manchester airport because the baggage handling was so slow to the extent that we missed our train and also the next connection - not good!

Been like that for a few years on other airlines, often when they are busy flights and they know there wont be enough room in the cabin. Hence why people make a scramble to be first in the queue, so they can get their bags on. (y)

We travel to Alicante regular and use the shuttle buses. Many times I spot people on my flight who pay for priority, rush straight out the airport with their cabin bag AND THEN.. They are sat waiting on the coach for me or someone else to turn up after our bags have finally arrived :D.. Obviously if they have a rental car or being collected then it makes sense (y)

I guess that's why we all love travelling on the road, air travel can be stressful.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
However, we have only Purchased Priority and Two Cabin Bags for us, the two adults. So, if we do turn up to the front of the Queue accompanying one (none Priority boarding or two bags) Children what will the Staff do?
Charge you extra.
So, what will they do when we rock up with a 6 and 9 year old who are none priority. We only needed to put two bags in the cabin so not paid for the Infants.

The usual is to split you up. The second thing will be to berate you for not booking them in as well. Then charge you.

These 'rules' have been in for some time along with the reduced bag size /priority booking/seat charge changes

You do know also that you are required to have a letter from the parents stating the full details of the children, names, addresses, passport details etc; etc; to cover yourselves that you are allowed to be travelling with them.
Spain is one that always requires this if you get stopped.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/travel-documents-minors/index_en.htm

This is the spanish requirement.
If the person who accompanies the minor is not one of his/her parents or if the minor is travelling alone

Domestic Flights

Children under 14 without a national identification card or passport may be asked to show one of these documents:

• Accreditation from a notary public with the personal details of the minor and a photograph, and which includes the father, mother or guardian's travel authorisation.
  • Authorisation formalised in a Police Office: Via the personal appearance of the father, mother or guardian, on behalf of the person who has custody of the minor during the trip, and which shall be compared at all times with that person’s national identification card or passport.
International flights (European and third countries)

All minors should present their own national identification card or passport and also meet the requirements of the destination country.
When they travel alone and do not have a Passport, the DNI must be accompanied by a Parent or Guardian Authorisation formalised in a Police Department.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
A brilliant, ultra cheap flying bus-style service, that has transformed the prices for flying and forced other operators to dramatically reduce their prices too.
Now already the fourth largest carrier in the world and a great performer for its owners, the shareholders.

I have absolutely nothing but praise for them and their on time record and safety record they also have the newest most modern fleet of planes of any carrier.

Just FOLLOW THE RULES that you agreed to when booking to get a really cheap flight.... Subsidised by the people who didn't follow the rules so had to pay extra.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Our lass flies Ryanair to UK once a month. Never more than £30 each way.
When she lands here she texts me and I set off.
10 minutes later I pick her up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Charge you extra.

The usual is to split you up. The second thing will be to berate you for not booking them in as well. Then charge you.

These 'rules' have been in for some time along with the reduced bag size /priority booking/seat charge changes

You do know also that you are required to have a letter from the parents stating the full details of the children, names, addresses, passport details etc; etc; to cover yourselves that you are allowed to be travelling with them.
Spain is one that always requires this if you get stopped.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/travel-documents-minors/index_en.htm

This is the spanish requirement.
If the person who accompanies the minor is not one of his/her parents or if the minor is travelling alone

Domestic Flights

Children under 14 without a national identification card or passport may be asked to show one of these documents:

• Accreditation from a notary public with the personal details of the minor and a photograph, and which includes the father, mother or guardian's travel authorisation.
  • Authorisation formalised in a Police Office: Via the personal appearance of the father, mother or guardian, on behalf of the person who has custody of the minor during the trip, and which shall be compared at all times with that person’s national identification card or passport.
International flights (European and third countries)

All minors should present their own national identification card or passport and also meet the requirements of the destination country.
When they travel alone and do not have a Passport, the DNI must be accompanied by a Parent or Guardian Authorisation formalised in a Police Department.

Thanks Gus.

When Our Grandson was 2, he had been to 10 European Countries and Monaco with us. Never flown once and always in the motorhome. We were asked for the letter once.

This is our first flight with them mind.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
A brilliant, ultra cheap flying bus-style service, that has transformed the prices for flying and forced other operators to dramatically reduce their prices too.
Now already the fourth largest carrier in the world and a great performer for its owners, the shareholders.

I have absolutely nothing but praise for them and their on time record and safety record they also have the newest most modern fleet of planes of any carrier.

Just FOLLOW THE RULES that you agreed to when booking to get a really cheap flight.... Subsidised by the people who didn't follow the rules so had to pay extra.

I am not sure what you mean by "FOLLOW THE RULES"?

But they could be so much better.

Everything from booking to flying. Even expecting £10 for a Gin and Tonic and no ice or lemon or board. Only Crew that are looked after are the pilots. Now wonder the rest of them don't give a monkeys.

Website issues are one thing. But then not being able to resolve it is another.

Without question, the worst airline we have ever used.

As I said, not much choice or I would use another carrier.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I've never flown ... ever ... the closes I've come to a plane is when looking round an aircraft museum! Doesn't sound like I'm missing anything! :D

No, I don't think you are missing anything, given the way that low cost carriers, airport security, delays and drunks have turned flying into a grim cattle class experience for most holiday flights.

In my younger days I clocked up more than 250,000 air miles and flew in at least 70 different aircraft types, my favourite being the VC10, and I used to look forward to every flight, but nowadays only fly if there is no alternative.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

I should also add, I did not get a really cheap flight?.

Had I left it a week later, the return flights would have cost close on £2,000 for two adults and two children.

Last edited:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We have a dog so no flying, for now at least. I have always been a great fan of Michael O'Ryanair (and not just because of the Gigginstown connection) and his attitude to running a business. He was largely responsible for bringing air fares down to an affordable level and keeping them there, though not all time -after all his sole purpose in life is to make profits for the business, if the customers also get a good deal then that is a bonus for them

There is always an alternative, don't go being one of them.

As regards paying for extras, if I were to fly I would happily pay a premium to be nowhere near any small or medium sized children or even Ch'tis (that's northerners in case you didn't know).

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
At 6'6"+ I cannot physically sit in a standard Ryanair seat as the pitch is too short. The "extra leg room" front rows and wing seats are invariably booked by inconsiderate old codgers who might scrape to 5' on tiptoe, sprawled out with smug expressions as though they are flying business class.

This causes a lot of problems at check-in and on board, for both me and the crew. Sometimes they have managed to move people but other flights I have been forced to sit in the (uncomfortable) crew seat for the duration after take off, and at other times forced to sit side saddle across 2 seats (also uncomfortable). The short height of the seat backs also leave my head neck and shoulders totally unsupported. I've broken 2 seat backs trying to force myself down the last few inches with knees pressing hard against the seat in front.....

"Extra leg room" is not an option as those seats are usually taken by the time I book, and I refuse to pay extra when I am not actually getting any extra - just a seat (which I have paid for already) with barely enough room to sit on. Ticket prices aren't based on height when booked, so why should I be discriminated against ? (unlike the fat b@st@rds who choose to be obese and should be discriminated against by extra narrow doors on boarding) ;)

Front row and wing seats should be allocated by cabin staff to those who actually need them, or at least by a red minimum height line like at the funfair ! :D2

I wouldn't be bothered where the cabin bag went so long as they provide me with a suitable seat....

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
At 6'6"+ I cannot physically sit in a standard Ryanair seat as the pitch is too short. The "extra leg room" front rows and wing seats are invariably booked by inconsiderate old codgers who might scrape to 5' on tiptoe, sprawled out with smug expressions as though they are flying business class.

This causes a lot of problems at check-in and on board, for both me and the crew. Sometimes they have managed to move people but other flights I have been forced to sit in the (uncomfortable) crew seat for the duration after take off, and at other times forced to sit side saddle across 2 seats (also uncomfortable). The short height of the seat backs also leave my head neck and shoulders totally unsupported. I've broken 2 seat backs trying to force myself down the last few inches with knees pressing hard against the seat in front.....

"Extra leg room" is not an option as those seats are usually taken by the time I book, and I refuse to pay extra when I am not actually getting any extra - just a seat (which I have paid for already) with barely enough room to sit on. Ticket prices aren't based on height when booked, so why should I be discriminated against ? (unlike the fat b@st@rds who choose to be obese and should be discriminated against by extra narrow doors on boarding) ;)

Front row and wing seats should be allocated by cabin staff to those who actually need them, or at least by a red minimum height line like at the funfair ! :D2

I wouldn't be bothered where the cabin bag went so long as they provide me with a suitable seat....
Good post (y)

According to Holiday Hypermarket:

"Surprisingly, Ryanair comes out on top with a seat pitch of 30 inches and EasyJet for a width of 18 inches."

https://www.holidayhypermarket.co.uk/hype/truth-airlines-seat-pitch/

And here's a reasonably comprehensive list:

http://www.airlinequality.com/info/seat-pitch-guide/

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
Good post (y)

According to Holiday Hypermarket:

"Surprisingly, Ryanair comes out on top with a seat pitch of 30 inches and EasyJet for a width of 18 inches."
Interesting. I wonder if this is a new seat design on latest aircraft ?

I've had to avoid them for the last couple of years but read that they were introducing seats with thinner backs. Assumed this was just to squash in an extra row of sardines but maybe it is better now ? (y)

Depends how they measure it though. Some have a small scoop in the middle that just fits if knees are jammed together (painful after a short time) with metal brackets either side which are sharp and even more painful.

My problem is often doubled as it affects the person in front as well - they can't recline their seat so get uncomfortable, frustrated or angry. This is why cabin crew discretion and flexibility on seating is much better than profiteering from 'extras'.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Parapilot, you completely miss the point of being in business - only thing that matters is making a profit.

As for your height problem, fly with a premium airline, pay premium prices, don't be such a cheapskate :)

I may well be one of those inconsiderate old codgers as you so quaintly express it but my comfort matters more than yours, consideration starts at home.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
My problem is often doubled as it affects the person in front as well - they can't recline their seat so get uncomfortable, frustrated or angry. This is why cabin crew discretion and flexibility on seating is much better than profiteering from 'extras'.
Ryanair and easyJet have had fixed non-reclining seats for years... ;)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Interesting. I wonder if this is a new seat design on latest aircraft ?

I've had to avoid them for the last couple of years but read that they were introducing seats with thinner backs. Assumed this was just to squash in an extra row of sardines but maybe it is better now ? (y)

Depends how they measure it though. Some have a small scoop in the middle that just fits if knees are jammed together (painful after a short time) with metal brackets either side which are sharp and even more painful.

With great respect, no it's not.

Business exists purely to generate profits and thus return on capital to the owners, the shareholders, who are risking their own money by having bought shares in that business.

An airline wants to maximise it's revenue stream whilst minimising its costs.
Buying planes specified with sufficient legroom to accommodate the utterly tiny proportion of prospective customers who are (say) 6 foot 4 or above, means fewer seat rows.
That would have a devastating effect on their passenger loading capacity per flight.

Margins are utterly tiny in the cheap budget shorthaul air industry. Players have to focus on getting "extras" revenue in, to bring their operations into profit.

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
Parapilot, you completely miss the point of being in business - only thing that matters is making a profit.
Sorry you feel that way. My businesses have focussed on customer satisfaction by providing high-quality service and products. Simply chasing profits to line your pockets seems rather soulless and unsatisfying to me. ;)

As for your height problem, fly with a premium airline, pay premium prices, don't be such a cheapskate :)
I don't have a height problem so not sure why you assume that ?
I have a problem with airlines making seats too small in order to cram more in.
Assuming I am a cheapskate is another erroneous assumption. 'Premium' airlines often don't have the routes or schedules that I need, whereas the 'budget' carriers do.

I may well be one of those inconsiderate old codgers as you so quaintly express it but my comfort matters more than yours, consideration starts at home.
I'm astounded that you're proud to proclaim such a nasty, selfish attitude - but admire your honesty ! :rolleyes:
My comfort matters to me but not at the expense of others, and I prefer the motto 'charity begins at home'..... ;)
I'm happy to give up my seat for the elderly, disabled or pregnant women. Courtesy and consideration costs nothing (but I guess doesn't give enough profit for you).
It is probably your sort who dump their toilet and waste water publicly because their 'rights' outweigh any consideration for others ?
Hope I never have to sit next to you on a plane as I bet you would hog the armrest for the entire duration of the flight ! :eek: :LOL:

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
An airline wants to maximise it's revenue stream whilst minimising its costs.
Buying planes specified with sufficient legroom to accommodate the utterly tiny proportion of prospective customers who are (say) 6 foot 4 or above, means fewer seat rows.
That would have a devastating effect on their passenger loading capacity per flight.
I understand and respect your point but disagree. ;)
No change to plane specification is required - they are already equipped with seats to "accommodate the utterly tiny proportion" of tall passengers who may require them, so no effect at all on passenger loading capacity. The problem is that the airlines no longer allow cabin crew the freedom to allocate these appropriately as they used to.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No change to plane specification is required - they are already equipped with seats to "accommodate the utterly tiny proportion" of tall passengers who may require them, so no effect at all on passenger loading capacity. The problem is that the airlines no longer allow cabin crew the freedom to allocate these appropriately as they used to.

To Nomad and Parapilot

For your information aircraft are sold without seats by the manufacturers, as airlines like to specify their own seats (Reclining, with/without TV, Audi etc.). They purchase these separately. Same with galleys.

As for seat pitch the airlines decide that, as the seats are attached to tracks which have multiple slots the length of the cabin. Even ths tracks can be changed to put the slot centres at different spacings.

Some airlines have aircraft types which are used on European flights but also Middle East flights and they may decide to give slightly greater seat pitch on the longer flights.

Now a gripe - against passengers. Often the boarding card tells one whether to use the front or rear stairs, or even if not one should be able to take an educated guess from one's seat row number. But how many times do we get someone in row 27 boarding at the front? Of course some passengers might be too thick to know the front of the aircraft from the back:rolleyes:

Geoff

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
As a regular flyer over the last 45 years on chartered and scheduled airlines (which could now be defined as legacy or low-cost) - I have no recollection of cabin crew allocating extra legroom seats as a prime responsibility?

In my earlier days of flying, seats were pre-allocated for everybody, prior to boarding the aircraft.

Subsequently, the low-cost airlines - for a period - implemented a policy of NO pre-allocated seating, in the belief it would speed up the 'turn around' time.

Whereas, currently customers on most airlines can now pre-select the seats they choose to sit in.

And if extra legroom is preferred a premium is charged - all reasonably straightforward.

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
As a regular flyer over the last 45 years on chartered and scheduled airlines (which could now be defined as legacy or low-cost) - I have no recollection of cabin crew allocating extra legroom seats as a prime responsibility?

In my earlier days of flying, seats were pre-allocated for everybody, prior to boarding the aircraft.

Subsequently, the low-cost airlines - for a period - implemented a policy of NO pre-allocated seating, in the belief it would speed up the 'turn around' time.

Whereas, currently customers on most airlines can now pre-select the seats they choose to sit in.

And if extra legroom is preferred a premium is charged - all reasonably straightforward.
Not quite as experienced as you, but in over 35 years of flying (as a tall person ;) ) I've found the cabin staff to be fantastic, courteous and helpful in attending to the comfort and requirements of passengers. Sadly that now seems to be reserved for long-haul and business class passengers, as the low-cost airlines have reduced them to the level of thrift-store cashiers - flogging booze, fags, perfume and scratch cards - with little authority or autonomy over their 'domain'. I wonder if they now have to augment their wage with commission from sales ?

Pre-selection is fine and great for families who want to sit together, but as a solo flyer who often has to travel on short notice it doesn't work for me. Likewise with priority boarding - I have no interest in hogging an uncomfortable seat for an extra 40 minutes. A premium is fine if you are genuinely getting something extra, but for me there is nothing extra and no extra comfort. I don't class a place where I can't physically sit as a 'seat' and the seats I can actually sit on have often been pre-booked by the proudly self-proclaimed "inconsiderate old codgers". :p :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back