pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
we would love to have an rv.and would like to know more about them please?
how do you find repairs etc on them?
do all parks accept them?
are there any for and against you'd like to give us??

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
There are a few RV Owners on here that’ll be along soon as their nap time’s almost up :roflmto:
In the meantime, you could check out RVOC website.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We have been through the lot..... RV... 5th Wheel.... back to a few RV`s and now back to a reasonable size Eurovan..

For`s and against in each... RV`s a lot of route planning is required and checking the site will accept you,, not so bad in the UK, but abroad it can be a pain, cos they will tell you ... Oh yes you will fit, but truth be known and when you get to the site .. You wont..

Where as a Eurovan will fit on/in most sites home and abroad...

But must say the space inside with a slide or two is nice.... but falling in love with our Eurovan now.. :thumb:

Spares for an RV are readily available for normal stuff... and dont take to long if it has to be shipped in from the States.. bit expensive and depends on where you live can be a bind getting some one to repair them.... loads of dealers and repairers in the midlands but few and far between down south..

These are my own personnel views.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

hi.. plenty of RV owners on our other site RVOC who will give you a wealth of info.. there are a few on here and also quite a few ex owners.. myself being one.

I had a Georgieboy Cruisemaster , rear engine Cummins Diesel, 36ft.. for 5 years and lived in it for 3. did around 12 MPG. we toured most of Europe and Morocco.

Your questions..

1. Repairs can be expensive if parts have to come from the States.. otherwise on a par with any other big vehicle.. if you can do your own servicing and repairs.. not too bad.

2. NO.. some sites restrict length to 28ft.. some sites do not allow them .. and a great many sites are be just too small , or access too tight.. depending on the length of RV.. so the longer it is, the fewer sites that you can visit.

Pros.

Unashamed luxury, like living in a small house.. with all mod cons, big fridge/freezer, large king size bed, some have washer/driers, full size TV, full size domestic shower.. some have a tub. (half size bath) .. on the move you are king of the road. :Smile:

Cons

as above, restricted number of sites, thirsty .. petrol ones less than 10 mpg , diesel slightly better .. 12 -15 mpg.. all depends on size. LPG conversions are more economical due to the lower price of LPG.. but thin on the ground.

difficult finding parking, difficult in small roads and villages, even filling up can be tricky.. and is very sore on the wallet...

If you understand and accept the limitations due to size, you can go just about anywhere a bus can.. but you do need to plan ahead.. just getting up and driving and hoping to find a site is ill advised.

Great on Motorways and A roads.. B roads can get tricky.. and C roads not advised.

See my signature for a map with sites that we and a few others have used with RVs

Be aware of current owners being economical with the truth re. MPG and where they can go.. unless you absolutely need one.. I would advise against and to look at European vans.. they are far better suited to our roads and camp sites.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We love our RV, our third one and have had it almost four years, it will and does go anywhere we want to and never been turned away from a site and little or no planning ahead.
With twin slideouts , much more space to lounge on rainy days and all the RV bits such as on board generator, 32" TV with surround sound, large holding tanks, aircon walk round bed etc .
We run on LPG and cost wise equates to 16/18 mpg
A huge choice out there large or small :thumb:
Never a problem with spares, servicing etc . And this one is the same width as most Eurovans so access not a problem. If the Ambulance , builders merchant, dustcart etc can get there we certainly can.

PS no economy with the truth here

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you really want an RV then running costs cant even be considered.

As the Rolls Royce salesman is reputed to have said to a customer......"if you have to ask the price sir, you cant afford it".

But if you still want one then i have one for sale in the classified section of the forum. :RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
if you really want an RV then running costs cant even be considered.

As the Rolls Royce salesman is reputed to have said to a customer......"if you have to ask the price sir, you cant afford it".

But if you still want one then i have one for sale in the classified section of the forum. :RollEyes:

indeed John..

I recall back in 2004 when I was researching and looking for an RV to full time in..

.. a member of another well known forum said to me.. 'you better have deep pockets.. very deep pockets.. and once you buy.. it had better be the right one as they are not easy to sell.'.

both predictions were absolutely true.. but as I wanted one specifically to live in with a family of four, a European was going to be too small..

it did cost a small fortune to run and maintain.. and when I finally managed to sell it I lost a great deal of money... hope you get a quick sale at a decent price..

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
just reduced it by another £2000 Jim. :cry:

MOT in couple of weeks then back on eBay it goes.

know that feeling well.. :Sad:

it took me months to off load mine.. at a vast loss :cry:

but just relieved to get is sold..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i say fifth wheeler is a better move .
have had mine 14yrs now .
have changed the truck once .
but dont go too big
i think thats the mistake many make .
the longer you keep them the less they owe you .
keep searching you will find something you like .

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Repairs, at least for mine, are cheap and easy. Parts are very available in the USA at a fraction of the cost of European parts. Even with next day delivery, duty and VAT on top, they're still cheaper. There is loads of room to play around with the suspension etc.

Habitation parts do differ, but are generally higher quality, with proper holding tanks and marine toilets. The hot water heaters tend to be much larger and frequently can use waste engine heat as well as gas/electric, so you arrive with a full tank of hot water.

You are far more likely to get habitation air conditioning and the heaters are usually extremely effective. This is because US RVs are expected to drive from Alaska down to Arizona.

Mine is quite small and too old to have slides etc. Even then, it feels much more spacious than a similar length European model. People can pass comfortably in the kitchen.

As it is a 25ft one (7.5m), it can go almost anywhere, although some of the really tight Mediterranean campsites might be an issue, where they really stack them in.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've had 3 Rvs two here one in the States and covered over 100'000 miles in them and honest opinion the only place for them is in the States. We love Rvs but gave up in the end because they are just too expensive to own and too difficult to travel in, especially if like us you don't like planning trips and just like the freedom of being able to go anywhere you want.

Spare parts and serving were no more expensive than our German van but running costs eg mpg were horrendous our diesel did 12 mpg at 56 mph our petrols did 7 mpg at 56 mph. Also in Europe we got turned away from so many sites it was impossible to travel without pre planning.

They are great when parked up on site and all that space is a luxury but for us the hassle of being able to travel freely was not worth it.

Whatever you choose good luck and enjoy. :thumb::thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We've had European vans and RV's we've toured Corsica is a 36' RV and been all around Europe.

Our latest RV is dual fuel so we get about 10 MPG but pay about 70p a litre so I consider that acceptable.

Not for everyone, but owning a campsite, I could say that driving ANY Motorhome isn't for everyone:winky: but it doesn't stop people trying:thumb:

Two big dogs so a double slide out makes acres of floor space for them.

Everything built in as standard, as I believe the basic standard of living is higher in the States so "basic" means a different thing.

Some of them have awful interiors, but simply order on with leather and it won't be too gaudy:roflmto:

High, double glazed, flush mounted glass windows and secure metal doors into a metal frame with brass deadlocks makes them good regarding security.

Payload tends not to be an issue either.

They're not for everyone, in the same way that someone with a Romahome would think an "averaged sized Motorhome" would be too big.

Most sites that we want to stay on tend to have average pitches 10 x 10 (33' x 33') so at 31" there's not that many places we can't fit. That said we do tend to go for more modern sites that have decent electrify, water and dump facility on the pitch, again I know that not everyone wants this but we do and are happy to pay a little extra to get what we want.

Will we always have RV's? Probably not, but I am towing my boat down to the South of France again this Summer, with the RV and some will think we're mad, others will be doing the same thing, but we can't wait to set off

Ask 100 people and you'll get 100 different opinions but stay away from the "Oh you shouldn't do that:Eeek:" people, as they're probably the ones that can't drive and scared themselves stupid with one:winky:

Eddie

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi

We like Larry have an RV and as it is converted to run on LPG as well as petrol it costs us no more to run than our previous motorhome which was a Bessecarr 760.
We have travelled widely both in the uk and on the continent and have never been refused at campsites and have always got on the Aires in France and Stelplatz in Germany. and sites in Italy etc. Wherever a bus/lorry goes we can go and we have been on single track roads without a problem, even travelling on ferries we always get good deals despite the length, bear in mind that many tag axle motorhomes are longer than we are.

Don't be put off by comments against RVs we have ours service and any repsirs done by Star Spangled Spanner and have never had a problem getting spares, so if you fancy an RV go for it :thumb::thumb: ours is 27ft 4" long and we don't have problems ::bigsmile:

Whats with the negative vibs.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Concord
Exp
Since 2009
I'me with Larry - I also have a "B" Class so 28 ish feet short ! 2 Slides gives great internal space. I have not yet been turned away from a site - I think this is the maximum size to be fairly sure. Friends with an "A" Class 34' have been turned away so as you get closer to the maximum allowed on UK roads of 40' the more chance of being declined becomes greater. Anywhere a dustbin lorry can go an RV can go. Fixed double bed, blown central heating, decent hot water, spacious shower, air conditioning, decent living ... Why compromise ! Servicing and parts no problem in a year and a half of ownership. Use and proper maintenance is better than low use and little maintenance. I have a diesel so I consider that the 20ish + mpg I have been getting is more than acceptable. You need to consider how many you are accommodating - we are a couple so a "B" Class is big enough for us. If you are 6 then its too small. Do attend some rallies and have a look at layouts and see what works for you before you buy. Good luck. Any questions ask. Cheers Rob.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Had a 35 ft Winnebago for four years, loved it the space and fixtures etc, loved driving it, but and it's a big BUT, a lot of sites do not like them, they say they have a pitch but have not thought about access to that pitch,ours was a pusher rode on air but only about 8mpg. You have to plan your route etc. and to be honest to own and use a RV like you should use it you need to have a healthy bank balance, which we don't. I am always in and out of work but we enjoy life and always have a smile on our face. What do I have now... A Burstner tag axle at 30 ft but is a whole lot more acceptable at sites and at 24mpg makes going away more often easier. You pays your money and take your choice. There's good and bad in both. Good luck in your choice. :thumb:

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Rv costs insurance

Insurance can be very difficult and expensive compared with euro vans.

I had one but have now gone to uk model, we have the island bed, two TV's good size fridge freezer full oven and microwave, loads of lounging space, and having just had it remapped to 197hp it is very fleet of foot.
The old 6.5 and 6.2 Chevrolets are very slow and gutless compared with the 3.0 Ducato or MB

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Insurance can be very difficult and expensive compared with euro vans.

I had one but have now gone to uk model, we have the island bed, two TV's good size fridge freezer full oven and microwave, loads of lounging space, and having just had it remapped to 197hp it is very fleet of foot.
The old 6.5 and 6.2 Chevrolets are very slow and gutless compared with the 3.0 Ducato or MB

Mine is less than £300 for insurance and I didn't look around this year.

My 1978 5.7 litre Chevrolet gets 200bhp out of the box and only basic tweaking will double that if you like to drag race (with serious mods like large turbos, you can pull over 1000bhp). It still wants to pull hard at 70mph, but I usually keep it around 50mph for fuel economy if I can manage it. I rarely use more than half throttle so as to keep the crockery in an intact state.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
we haven't had a problem with insurance - caravanguard, even when we had a claim they dealt with efficiently and quickly.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This thread is not entirely about RV versus Euro van but more a case of what size.
If you have a 30ft plus motorhome it will be less flexible than a sub 30 ft motorhome.
Our RV is the same length and width as most of the tag axle euros and as such can go where they go.
Perhaps cost a bit more on fuel but that is arguable and of course burning LPG is far better for our environment, no smelly particulate emissions :thumb: and is OK within the LEZ :thumb:
Also worth considering some ex RV owners on the forum have travelled far and wide in Europe (and some still are) and survived in comparative comfort. Perhaps it cost a bit more but a small price to pay for the added space.

So to the OP, don't be put off , soak it all up , look and make your informed choice :thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
To my mind, they make sense in a country where fuel is around 40p a litre, as a friend in America right now says it is. Anywhere else, rather overkill methinks.

OP
OP
P

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
thanks all,some really good points there.
hubbys more sold than i.i love the bessicar(i think) type...6 berth.
we are only three plus one massive german shepard...he takes up enough room in the house never mind the mh.i honestly cannot believe i have something that size living in my house.
we hate the awning thing and so i think we will outgrow our lil hymercamp56 soon.although i will be sad to lose it.
the right layout helps i think.
i reckon we need an overcab bed/pod for dear daughter,a lounge directly behind cab for hubby n dog then the kitchen area with a double bed for us at the end with a lil garage/storage underneath.
dont want much do i.:winky:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
This thread is not entirely about RV versus Euro van but more a case of what size.
If you have a 30ft plus motorhome it will be less flexible than a sub 30 ft motorhome.
Our RV is the same length and width as most of the tag axle euros and as such can go where they go.
Perhaps cost a bit more on fuel but that is arguable and of course burning LPG is far better for our environment, no smelly particulate emissions :thumb: and is OK within the LEZ :thumb:
Also worth considering some ex RV owners on the forum have travelled far and wide in Europe (and some still are) and survived in comparative comfort. Perhaps it cost a bit more but a small price to pay for the added space.

So to the OP, don't be put off , soak it all up , look and make your informed choice :thumb:

Dead right the size is the most important thing. We found travelling in our 29ft B class much easier than our 36ft A class but not as easy as our 25ft tag axle Hymer. And you're right we travelled all over Europe even North Africa in Rvs and had some of our most memorable trips. We're definitely not RV haters far from it we love em just don't suit our travelling style nowadays.
Would I have another RV yes if it suited.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
To my mind, they make sense in a country where fuel is around 40p a litre, as a friend in America right now says it is. Anywhere else, rather overkill methinks.

To be fair, for most smaller RVs, fuel is 70p per litre. I don't think we pay that much more per mile than a similar sized European diesel. Works out at about 36p/mile, which would be about 18mpg in a diesel.

A 7.5m diesel European probably actually gets about 22mpg, so is about 20% cheaper to run in fuel. Of course, you also have to factor in replacing the DPF and EGR every 3 years...

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Ours is only 30ft, done over 6,000 miles in the last two years, and loved every minute, as for planing ahead a good sat nav will sort that out , never failed to get on sites or aires, if fuel economy is your worry don,t buy , if space and comfort is do buy, with twin front slides ours can be fully used with them in/ out,everything else is just relative ( tyres spares tax insurance) only my opinion
Atb laurance. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back