RVs in winter (1 Viewer)

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Are there any problems with RVs in the winter ? im hoping to full time from March, are they draughty etc. are they all double glazed and well insulated ?

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi again Wynnie
I guess some others will be along later, however I can say that we use our RV during the winter, only for weekends though, and do not have any problems. Most RV's are not double glazed (dual paned as the Americans say...) so you will inevitably get some condensation on the windows, but this is not really a big deal. The heating system is generally hugely powerful and can easily cope with quite low ambient temperatures. If you intend to full time, and are on sites with electric hook up, then you will probably use supplementary electric heaters in the coach to keep you warm and use the electric that you will be paying for anyway.
I would be interested to hear from other full timers to see what their experience has been ::bigsmile:

Keith

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi winnie, our RV is very quick to warm up, and the double glazing does keep it very cozy. RVs are very popular in Canada and the colder states and I think they are pretty much the same ones as you would buy here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Our only promlem with the RV heating, although the heating is VERY efficient, it can be noisy if you need it on at night when without hookup. Condensation can be a problem but a dehumidifier will make a huge difference but once again you need hookup to run it.

Keith

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
We will use ours through the winter and at New Years (where I am meeting up with fellow inmates:winky:) i hope things dont get to steamy:ROFLMAO:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We used ours last winter a few times the only issue we had was losing heat through the windscreen even with the blind drawn it was cooler at the front end. We bought a £15.00 quartz heater from Hurrans which we plug in at the front end 'job done'. The rest of the Rv gets really warm very quickly and we can turn the heating down even withb a good frost outside.

F

foggyparrot

Deleted User
We decided to have a go at living in ours for a couple of months so we moved out of the house and on to a site in the middle of January this year.

Last time we looked the house was still there but we still haven't been back yet!

We have had snow, frost, hurricanes, WIND!!! (a bit scary), rain and sun. So far only the front windows have condensated (a bit) in the coldest or wettest of weather. We rarely use the gas heating even in the bleakest of weather, but rather, rely on a couple of slimline electric heaters (low wattage). I can honestly say that we have never been anything other than toastie warm!

Our coach is a '94 Winnie Brave and does have dual pane windows. Our gas tank lasts for 3 to 4 months at a time at £21 a refill. That's using it every day to heat the water as well.

Can't think of a more luxurious and cheaper way to slum it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Are there any problems with RVs in the winter ? im hoping to full time from March, are they draughty etc. are they all double glazed and well insulated ?

Hi
We installed two De Longhi oil filled slim-line wall mounted panel heaters, one in the lounge the other in the bedroom,they are only 800 watt each so can be used even on low amperage EHU, they keep the RV cosy even on the coldest nights, we only use gas air blown heating when not on EHU. and for a quick warm up, a very worthwhile investment.

All windows except the windscreen are double glazed, condensation is not a problem and there are no draughts.

Fresh and waste water tanks, pipes etc are inboard, so no chance of freezing.

Jim

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:ROFLMAO: Perhaps this might answer your question? :-

JS-SNO1.jpg

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
John
I have seen that photo dozens of times now, and I still love it everytime I see it.... Well done mate and thanks...........

Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back