RVs - easy to buy - problem selling? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
You say it isn't but it clearly is an anti RV post:RollEyes:

Never in years of Rally Marshalling have I had RV owners insist on being near the exit or having a hard standing or insisting on hookups or running gennies out of prescribed times. [HI] Total tosh[/HI].

Your opinion Jim, its often said on other forums...

May I remind you of Rule 1.
Rule 1 Be Nice.

No personal attacks of any kind against other members of the forums. Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are strictly not allowed. As is telling others to "get a life" or that they or their comments are "stupid". If you strongly disagree with a post then your reply should address the post and not question the intelligence or parenthood of the poster. There are plenty of forums that allow members to be discourteous toward each other, this is NOT one of them. Members should report any post they see that breaks the rules.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't need reminding of rule 1.:Smile: I addressed the post. The post was IMO and experience a load of of tosh and misrepresents all RV owners I've met.:RollEyes:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just a thought regarding ScotlandJims post
Was wondering if you bought a car new or second hand no matter what model (with the exception of certain collectables) for £45k you would be lucky after 5yrs to get a return of £12k as even the most anti-depriciation proof models will at best only return close to 60% after as little as 3yrs, with the offset of living aboard full time for 3yrs no mortgage or rent payments no utilty bills repair bills etc etc (I know it brings its own bills but I know which is cheaper to run over the course of a year for me, house v RV) and on top of that the freedom to go as you please throughout the UK and europe each turn of the wheel an adventure, I would not be to disappointed with the return.
The return on houses has increased considerable over the past 10 years so you cant really compare like with like. Using an RV as a home, it will lose mega bucks before you get it off the forecourt. Living in an RV will never compare favourably with owning a house.
There are other arguments with regard to living abroad in an RV. Many other options for long term sabbaticals abroad without the losses incurred with a house on wheels. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
The return on houses has increased considerable over the past 10 years so you cant really compare like with like. Using an RV as a home, it will lose mega bucks before you get it off the forecourt. Living in an RV will never compare favourably with owning a house.
There are other arguments with regard to living abroad in an RV. Many other options for long term sabbaticals abroad without the losses incurred with a house on wheels. :thumb:

Correct buttons we lost 15,600 as soon as we left the dealer's show room ...in tax...nothing to do with what type of motorhome it is....GOVERNMENT TAX...as our dealer keep's saying that has nothing to do with him..:Eeek::Doh::cry:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Was that pounds or euro's:winky:

euros:cry:...I have just corrected my last reply it was about 15,600 give and take a few euros for any extras fitted.
These Government officials do like there bonus's
:winky::winky:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Ah well that's not so bad then....:winky::cry: did that go to the French or UK exchequer............ :france:

French...Of course....::bigsmile:.............the French vat is 20%:Doh::cry:

Would like a bag of Frites from my frites Maison....chippy to you luv:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
You'll be telling me next that you never get stuck in the mud either:winky:

Interestingly I have pulled far more Euro vans out of the mud than RV's but somehow people only remember the RV's

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Buttons , when we bought our RV we knew we would lose a packet but we wanted and could afford it .
What is the problem with that.
You make your choices and I and other RV owners are entitled to theirs :restmycase:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Having owned Caravans euro Motorhomes and RVs the biggest drop in% I ever made was on a Vw camper a cool 50 % in a year most Caravans made profit most euros a small loss most RVs a small loss some made profit........but whatever your choice of home on wheels I don't mind nor have I ever said mines better than yours, nor would I so if you don't like RVs and are convinced yours is better than mine fine......but I am getting tired of reading it on here.......and if that upsets someone sorry.......you continue to own what you want and so will I :thumb:

All the best Rick

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Well I have read and followed this thread with a certain amount amazement - what is it that some people cannot grasp.

We are all individuals - we all have different needs and different criteria in life BUT we do have one thing in common we are all trying IN OUR OWN INDIVIDUAL WAYS to enjoy the great outdoors.

I do not tell you how to live your lives - WHY THE HELL DO YOU WANT TO TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MINE ????

If I want to camp in a tent then I will and have and had some fantastic times

If I want to camp in a caravan then I will and have and had some fantastic times

I currently own a fifth wheel unit - which according to many I cannot pull it with a land rover - I cannot get it onto many sites - I cannot get it down country lanes - It is expensive to own - it is expensive to run. I HAVE SOME BAD NEWS FOR YOU - YOU ARE WRONG ON ALL COUNTS

If only you consider the comments that have been put on this thread and their implications

You cannot get them down the country lanes - WHY - dust carts, delivery lorries buses and coaches all manage very well so why not RV's - even the largest of RV,s are no bigger than a standard coach and often much smaller.

If you are worried about the insurance then don't get one BUT I bet if you look into it the cost of insuring an American RV and an equivilent value eurovan the RV will be cheaper

The Road Fund Licence for a 40ft RV is cheaper than a small Eurovan

The cost of basic servicing is generally similar to or cheaper than a eurovan

Tyres are more expensive than a eurovan but generally last much longer

The cost of fuel is generally higher than a Eurovan but as most owners of RV's tow a small car or motorbike the average road miles of an RV is much less than a Eurovan.

Black tank,grey tank, freshwater etc - generally we can take on water to last 4 to 5 days in one hit with sensible care of use the grey and black tanks will need emptying after about 7 or 8 days possibly go to 10 if we spend a lot of time out. When we were caravaning I needed to fill the aquaroll every day - empty the cassete every other day and empty the wastemaster every day - which would you prefer !! Emptying is simple any suitable manhole or dump point - 3 inch flexible pipe open the valves - no fiddling - no chemicals - if there is no dump point handy then a macerator and pump it up to 40 + metres

Why are they not selling at the moment - they are selling but as there has been a lot recently imported so there is a surplus at the moment - I know of a number of RV's for sale - I also know of a number of people who have recently bought RV's and lots more looking. RV's like houses are subject to market forces and seasonal demand - the season is coming to an end now for many so they will be looking for next years needs now - I also know of people who have prefered to spend their money on a full makeover for the RV rather than go for a new (er) one

Why buy one - I think the simplest answer is you get a fantastic amount of kit for your money with an RV and generally of a higher quality.

Have you also noticed how as each year goes past the euro vans get bigger and bigger - heavier and heavier - with more and more kit in it

I can go on and on so a couple of things for you to consider

DONT KNOCK IT UNTIL YOU HAVE TRIED IT - IF YOU HAVE NOT TRIED IT DONT KNOCK IT

WHY DO YOU KEEP PROLIFERATING ANTI RV THREADS ON HERE enjoy what you have or want and let other enjoy what they want

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
RVs, especially[HI] the larger ones are the ultimate MH - space and comfort, so why are they so hard to sell?[/HI]
Looked up 'Winnebagos' on ebay to look at slobadoberbobs' latest advert and saw another 2004 Winnebago for sale that was for sale a year ago by the same motor dealer (same distinctive photo with car on trailer), price is £27,000.

I think the price a year ago (when I was looking for a MH) was £29,000 which I thought was reasonable - and it is lpg converted.

[HI]Are they just too big?[/[/HI]QUOTE]

A simple question was asked.

No, just a small, and in our current recession, dwindling market

So far, one of the few only sensible answers, underpinned by Bryan.

Is it too much to ask to stick to the topic without airing "us and them" once again?
Although there definitely is an "Us and Them" issue for some, it has no place on here.
Hearing the same crap over and over gets boring.

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Rick makes a good point that I would like to reinforce.
Point 1: I have only been in this motor homing world for a year after life as a motor boater for 25 years. In that time I moved through the market as many do from one size to the next most often based on the depth of pocket at the time. The thing I learnt is that there is always someone with a smaller boat and always someone with a larger one, for the most part the people are the same and I have enjoyed the experience of meeting some great entertaining people many of whom are now my friends. I am currently trying and succeeding in the same way in the camp site world!
Point 2: What is it with UK forums? It is the same in the boating world in the UK, one cannot have a mature debate on issues from which you and probably many other readers or lurkers learn. Everyone is an expert and everyone else is an idiot; Its crass and boring. In contrast I am a member of several groups and forums in the US, some general RV, some specific to my manufacture of coach; I can ask questions and get helpful considered replies, very often finding someone with the same issue, resolved last year! On this forum, which I think I had to pay for, I ask a sensible question to gain knowledge in an area where I have little or none, trying to get a focus on which Euro homes may look interesting, assuming one was trying to convert from an RV as that was the tune of the thread. You only need to read what for the most part is pointless dribble that I got for answers, interspersed with yellow blobs for those whose vocabulary is challenged. Not one single Euro motor home mentioned, just snide comments asking why you need or want this or that. Why not be open minded and explore the issue, as with most things in life it is about compromise or trade off (including depth of pocket) and accept that someone else's option is THEIR choice. For example I have an Aixam on a trailer because I need to come in under 750kg for my Class C, driving the Aixam is embarrassing at times, people looking at this odd, and in Europe no licence drunks car, but that is my trade off!
Unfortunately I do not think it will change, and I am sure this will get a barrage of yellow blobs, however if there are contenders in the Euro market place I would like to hear them but I assume there are not any decent ones out there and perhaps that is the real rub?
Michael

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Rick makes a good point that I would like to reinforce.
Point 1: I have only been in this motor homing world for a year after life as a motor boater for 25 years. In that time I moved through the market as many do from one size to the next most often based on the depth of pocket at the time. The thing I learnt is that there is always someone with a smaller boat and always someone with a larger one, for the most part the people are the same and I have enjoyed the experience of meeting some great entertaining people many of whom are now my friends. [HI]I am currently trying and succeeding in the same way in the camp site world![/HI]
Point 2: What is it with UK forums? It is the same in the boating world in the UK, one cannot have a mature debate on issues from which you and probably many other readers or lurkers learn. Everyone is an expert and everyone else is an idiot; Its crass and boring. In contrast I am a member of several groups and forums in the US, some general RV, some specific to my manufacture of coach; I can ask questions and get helpful considered replies, very often finding someone with the same issue, resolved last year! On this forum, which I think I had to pay for, I ask a sensible question to gain knowledge in an area where I have little or none, trying to get a focus on which Euro homes may look interesting, assuming one was trying to convert from an RV as that was the tune of the thread. You only need to read what for the most part is pointless dribble that I got for answers, interspersed with yellow blobs for those whose vocabulary is challenged. Not one single Euro motor home mentioned, just snide comments asking why you need or want this or that. Why not be open minded and explore the issue, as with most things in life it is about compromise or trade off (including depth of pocket) and accept that someone else's option is THEIR choice. For example I have an Aixam on a trailer because I need to come in under 750kg for my Class C, driving the Aixam is embarrassing at times, people looking at this odd, and in Europe no licence drunks car, but that is my trade off!
Unfortunately I do not think it will change, and I am sure this will get a barrage of yellow blobs, however if there are contenders in the Euro market place I would like to hear them but I assume there are not any decent ones out there and perhaps that is the real rub?
Michael

Well Michael you have typed a load but not very much of it if any is relevant to this thread. RVs - easy to buy - problem selling?

Of course the yanks are enthusiastic about huge RVs they were made for the US market. This debate has nothing to do with RVs in their home state, just how difficult they are to sell in this country. My theory as already stated is that it is only the privileged few who can now afford to run an RV. Your post clearly suggests that you are one of those privileged few, you have spoken about you large boats your huge RVs your camping site but little about the topic. I don't have a problem with this but there are many who are now stuck with RVs that they cant possibly afford to use and are impossible to sell.

So Michael what is your slant on this thread, are you suggesting that RVs are not difficult to sell.

Last edited:

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
I have to agree, it is the same ones that keep bring it up, seems to me they have a chip on there shoulder.

Who cares what you camp in, we all do the same thing when we get there.

I am also getting the feeling that the site is going down a road that is not good were has the Fun gone to.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Well Michael you have typed a load but not very much of it if any is relevant to this thread. RVs - easy to buy - problem selling?

Of course the yanks are enthusiastic about huge RVs they were made for the US market. This debate has nothing to do with RVs in their home state, just how difficult they are to sell in this country. My theory as already stated is that it is only the privileged few who can now afford to run an RV. Your post clearly suggests that you are one of those privileged few, you have spoken about you large boats your huge RVs your camping site but little about the topic. I don't have a problem with this but it is a fact. Many are now stuck with RVs that they cant possibly afford to use and are impossible to sell.

So Michael what is your slant on this thread, are you suggesting that RVs are not difficult to sell.

Probably innacurate , this is the kind of generalised statement that is to say the least annoying when not backed up with some facts as I certainly know of no one in RV circles in this position :Sad:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I bought a new RV from a dealer in May and sold my Winnebago privately within a week and had two people wanting it!

So from my experience no, I have never found it a problem in the past nor recently.

As another poster has posted, I too would love to buy UK or European if I could get everything I want from a van.

Eddie

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
OK Buttons, you read my first email and this was your response?

"Each to their own but I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would consider carting all that opulence around with them, hot water provisions for consecutive showers OMG what next.:ROFLMAO:
Where can you take a monster like that, what sort of mileage do you cover each year. :cry:

As for what do you replace it with, its not can you get the same in a euro van more to do with what do I really need to go camping. You never know, you might just start to enjoy the freedom that some euro vans will offer.:thumb: "

I wont add comment. As you intimate there is nothing in the Euro market that can provide, but your inference is also that because I would look to achieve a certain level of comfort that somehow I am wrong? Anyway looks like the experts reckon are there are none, and the ones I have looked at like Concorde for example are not worth mentioning?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Sallillian ::bigsmile: the yellow blobs are used to lighten what many do not take too seriously bits in a post :winky:
Lots of posters have a bit of banter going on and a :Smile:::bigsmile::winky::thumb::Doh::Eeek: can be used to good effect :winky:
Terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
OK Buttons, you read my first email and this was your response?

"Each to their own but I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would consider carting all that opulence around with them, hot water provisions for consecutive showers OMG what next.:ROFLMAO:
Where can you take a monster like that, what sort of mileage do you cover each year. :cry:

As for what do you replace it with, its not can you get the same in a euro van more to do with what do I really need to go camping. You never know, you might just start to enjoy the freedom that some euro vans will offer.:thumb: "

I wont add comment. As you intimate there is nothing in the Euro market that can provide, but your inference is also that because I would look to achieve a certain level of comfort that somehow I am wrong? Anyway looks like the experts reckon are there are none, and the ones I have looked at like Concorde for example are not worth mentioning?
With respect Michael all I am saying is that I personally cant understand why anyone would consider hot water provisions for consecutive showers as a must have option in a camper and that you might just appreciate the freedom that a smaller Euro van has to offer. :Sad:

Last edited:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
With respect Micheal all I am saying is that I personnally cant understand why anyone would consider hot water provisions for consecutive showers as a must have option in a camper. :Sad:

An equally pointless statement:
Why would anyone consider an engine necessary for camping?

Link Removed

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
I have to agree, it is the same ones that keep bring it up, seems to me they have a chip on there shoulder.

Who cares what you camp in, we all do the same thing when we get there.

I am also getting the feeling that the site is going down a road that is not good were has the Fun gone to.

Totally agree - which is A) the reason I seldom post on this site now and - B) I do not care what people camp in - what colour it is - what colour they are - what religion they are - what their politics are etc

We are all doing the same thing so as I have said so many time before - ITS NOT THE UNIT ITS THE PEOPLE INSIDE IT that matter

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
With respect Michael all I am saying is that I personally cant understand why anyone would consider hot water provisions for consecutive showers as a must have option in a camper and that you might just appreciate the freedom that a smaller Euro van has to offer. :Sad:

I have freedom in my RV, and i can have a shower after my missus, anytime, anywhere.

Craig

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have always said to people :-

Describe camping to a Martian! We leave perfectly comfortable homes and go and live in muddy fields for a few days, burn meat over a fire, and sleep under tin/wood/material as we shelter from the rain/sun

Then we go home! Camping is camping is camping. Some of us do it with less hassle that the rest of us and some of us (me included) like to complicate it and have all the toys!

Camping is like Religion. What I believe, I believe, doesn't make me right or wrong, and I don't expect you to understand what I believe. It also doesn't mean that I may change my view in the future or will have changed from what I believed correct in the past: Just simply what suits me! (us)

Eddie

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well I'm off to do a bit so maybe catch up later:winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most of the RV industry went bankrupt in the last 6 years. some well known names just disappeared. But there has always been a lot, several hundred, independent small family owned companies RV makers, these continue and some companies are now rising from the ashes and while there are plenty of 40 footers still being made to satisfy the massive market for them, many are making much smaller motorhomes. In fact 40ft plus motorhomes in the US are banned from many areas, but the prices of fuel is making the yanks appreciate the word "economy"

I am truly excited by this, some of the new small motorhomes built in the American way, with the emphasis on comfort, large holding tanks, decent showers and slides but built on engines smaller that 8.1litres:Eeek: This Will really give the Luxury Europeans a run for their money, some of the new yank B class motorhomes beat them size v facilities already, but are still built on engines that are too big.

When these new yanks start to appear here, some built on modern European engines and chassis smaller than many Europeans and better spec'd than most, maybe the childish bickering will stop. Who cares where a motorhome is made:RollEyes:

Here is a new winnie on a Merc at 25ft its smaller than many. In ten years time vans like this will be common place over here. Its an RV :Smile:

Broken Link Removed

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We looked at the Merc based Yanks for our US tour and when put up against MANY EU vans they were much better built with all options as standard. We intended buying one and then shipping it back to keep or for resale in the EU. When these van conversions on the Merc chassis hit Europe many EU converters are going to be in serious trouble. They are half the price with double the spec.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I got the pictures to prove it

You'll be telling me next that you never get stuck in the mud either:winky:

Buttons, I have the pictures to prove it... thought about having a christmas card made of them and send them to some of the members we know.... mind you for the first time I got stuck in the mud at Malvern..... who said it is on chalk???? mind you all I needed was a mud mat.. I did not dig-out two big farrows.... I just suffered being last on the field after all the eurobox's had churned up the entrance and road way.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back