RVs - easy to buy - problem selling? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Interesting thread, so if one was changing from an RV to a Eurobox which one would you choose with these criteria?
Large Queen Bed
Ample clothes storage including wardrobes
Large black tank enabling reasonable storage for say 7 days
Black and Grey tanks with macerator pump connection option to pump 20-30 mts
Hot water provision for consecutive showers
A shower that is genuinely usable
Air conditioning as standard
Spacious Galley with reasonable fridge and freezer
Comfortable lounge seating that does not feel like the local bus seats
Washer dryer option

So what model would make me change?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well i will admit i dont have air conditioning .never found the need even in the sahara . also dont have a black tank toilet .dont like them for conveniance .a old fashioned porty potty beats them all hands down .
so get a mini artic . more convieniant . and you dont need to pull a car behind . all the space i need and couple of m,bikes in the back. ideal .
yes fridge /freezer can be had .and no ehu .it is fitted but solar rules . yes i do have a genny ,only used for welding and very high power tools . so there,s your answer .
and its all mot exempt .

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Interesting thread, so if one was changing from an RV to a Eurobox which one would you choose with these criteria?
Large Queen Bed
[HI]Black and Grey tanks with macerator pump connection option to pump 20-30 mts[/HI]
Washer dryer option

Black & Grey tanks....... 20 to 30 metric tones........:Eeek:

Now that's a huge wagon, that must definitely be full of S**t.....:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
::bigsmile: A self build ::bigsmile: put in what you want :winky::thumb:
Self builds rule OK:thumb:
But if RVs keep falling in price it may be a waste of time building one :ROFLMAO:
Terry

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Large Queen Bed
Washer dryer option

If you are 37ft long with slides then no euro is going to be as big, however not everyone likes the same thing. I have always thought the black tanks to be one of the drawbacks of an RV. Ok you can go 7 days without emptying but when you do its a major undertaking unless you are lucky enough to find a dedicated emptying point (never seen one on a CL). The cassette does need emptying every couple of days but its the work of a moment and can be done practically anywhere, even a public loo if desperate. With a spare cassette we can go 5 days if necessary, though in practice have never needed to.
The other things on your list we have in our 27ft euro van (including a washing machine), with the exception of a spacious galley, ours is a bit lacking in space I must admit. We can go pretty well anywhere in it too.

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Well, I am going to buck the trend

I have come to the opinion that my RV is to cheap... so after much debate at Malvern this weekend with Euro box owners and RV owners... and having looked at some of the silly prices dealers are asking for items of the same age. I am going to include all the goodies and put back up in price and wait... I am in no rush...

So next advert round on ebay will deal with it and I suspect we will have another long post about it.

Bob

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Large Queen Bed
Washer dryer option

Each to their own but I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would consider carting all that opulence around with them, hot water provisions for consecutive showers OMG what next.:ROFLMAO:
Where can you take a monster like that, what sort of mileage do you cover each year. :cry:

As for what do you replace it with, its not can you get the same in a euro van more to do with what do I really need to go camping. You never know, you might just start to enjoy the freedom that some euro vans will offer.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have come to the opinion that my RV is to cheap... so after much debate at Malvern this weekend with Euro box owners and RV owners... and having looked at some of the silly prices dealers are asking for items of the same age. I am going to include all the goodies and put back up in price and wait... I am in no rush...

So next advert round on ebay will deal with it and I suspect we will have another long post about it.

Bob

Don't forget to post the link :winky: and be preprepared to be flexible on price ::bigsmile:If someone makes a good offer then take it :winky:None of this not a penny under ::bigsmile:
terry

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

Bob

I think that you would be better off selling with all bits and bobs at the original price because I would be put off by missing bits and the holes that may be left by same. Good luck with your sale.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Buttons has not been the same since

Each to their own but I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would consider carting all that opulence around with them, hot water provisions for consecutive showers OMG what next.:ROFLMAO:
Where can you take a monster like that, what sort of mileage do you cover each year. :cry:

As for what do you replace it with, its not can you get the same in a euro van more to do with what do I really need to go camping. You never know, you might just start to enjoy the freedom that some euro vans will offer.:thumb:

Buttons has not been the same since we found out that he had to have an out side toilet...

We may not be able to do the 98 mpg that his old VW did... But until you have owned an RV you have not lived... I have just watch poor Clive - (Griffs) walk across the field yet again to empty his cassette unit in his latest Euro Box.... well perhaps Clive needs the exercise!!!

I am changing my RV as we all know.. but I am replacing it with another RV... same engine.. and I suspect as it is longer I will get less to gallon.

OH yes looked at the plate in the RV... I have it all wrong.. 23"3" not 23'9".. so it is even smaller... I wonder if I can do a Buttons and increase the MPG... but then being an honest lawyer (You can trust me!!!) it still does 15 mpg.

Bob:Blush:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Why not take it off the market completely for a few weeks and then put it back on with the original asking price?

If I was watching your van I would be puzzled by your marketing techniques.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons has not been the same since we found out that he had to have an out side toilet...

We may not be able to do the 98 mpg that his old VW did... But until you have owned an RV you have not lived... I have just watch poor Clive - (Griffs) walk across the field yet again to empty his cassette unit in his latest Euro Box.... well perhaps Clive needs the exercise!!!

I am changing my RV as we all know.. but I am replacing it with another RV... same engine.. and I suspect as it is longer I will get less to gallon.

OH yes looked at the plate in the RV... I have it all wrong.. 23"3" not 23'9".. so it is even smaller... I wonder if I can do a Buttons and increase the MPG... but then being an honest lawyer (You can trust me!!!)[HI] it still does 15 mpg.[/HI]
Bob:Blush:
15 mpg sounds a bit optimistic to me Bob could I get Terry check your figures.:winky:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I have no idea why I want a 39' RV with a 20' trailer on the back carrying my Corvette........as I obviously can't drive it anywhere or Park it anywhere.....paid a small fortune for something I can't sell.....because no one would want it (by the way my purchase price was underwritten for twelve months get that on a euro:ROFLMAO:) so here I am siting on a site in lincolnshire just off an unclassified road (that apparently I don't fit down) on a site with mostly tuggers (which apparently won't have any thing this big on) sorry folks.....don't knock it till you tried it.......oh and I have, Caravans euros and all sizes of RV.......but guess what I ain't changing my RV till I loose my HGV licence, then it will be an American 5th wheel :thumb: so I guess I am saying its a bloody good job we ain't all the same.......or are we, of course we are, doing what we love best enjoying our home on wheels :thumb:

All the best Rick

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
rick what you need will be a mini artic you know it makes sense .
by the way i could offer you fifty quid for the corvette .look nice with a clean and polish .ha ha :thumb:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
If you are 37ft long with slides then no euro is going to be as big, however not everyone likes the same thing. one [HI]I have always thought the black tanks to be one of the drawbacks of an RV. Ok you can go 7 days without emptying but when you do its a major undertaking unless you are lucky enough to find a dedicated emptying point (never seen one on a CL). The cassette does need emptying every couple of days but its the work of a moment and can be done practically anywhere, even a public loo if desperate. With a spare cassette we can go 5 days if necessary, though in practice have never needed to.
The other things on your list we have in our 27ft euro van (including a washing machine), with the exception of a spacious galley, ours is a bit lacking in space I must admit. We can go pretty well anywhere in it too.

Black tanks one of the drawbacks? Major undertaking after 7 days? Lucky enough to find an emptying point? Have you been sniffing glue?
I have never had a problem emptying my tanks, and with a macerator it couldn't be easier!
I use the toilet as it should be used, including paper. No blue liquid, no smells, no fuss, no problem!
I will stick with my holding tanks, you can have your 15 litre grey and yellow bucket, that you daren't use incase a Richard gets stuck in it.:ROFLMAO:

Craig

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have no idea why I want a 39' RV with a 20' trailer on the back carrying my Corvette........as I obviously can't drive it anywhere or Park it anywhere.....paid a small fortune for something I can't sell.....because no one would want it (by the way my purchase price was underwritten for twelve months get that on a euro:ROFLMAO:) so here I am siting on a site in lincolnshire just off an unclassified road (that apparently I don't fit down) on a site with mostly tuggers (which apparently won't have any thing this big on) sorry folks.....don't knock it till you tried it.......oh and I have, Caravans euros and all sizes of RV.......but guess what I ain't changing my RV till I loose my HGV licence, then it will be an American 5th wheel :thumb: so I guess I am saying its a bloody good job we ain't all the same.......or are we, of course we are, doing what we love best enjoying our home on wheels :thumb:

All the best Rick
You'll be telling me next that you never get stuck in the mud either:winky:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004

Bob

Worked for us when we were selling or house a few years ago, took it off sale did a few diy jobs on it which cost around a grand the put five grand on the price, it sold that week, perhaps it was our diy skills. Lol

Hope you don't mind me saying Bob but a few new pictures with the van stripped of all:Smile: personal belongs ie stuff in the cupboards and tablecloths and stuff removed will make the van look more appealing, especially on photos.

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, if you want an RV then so be it, just don't go on and on about how great they are.

I can well imagine that one or two have bought them and regretted it, I wonder if anyone would be brave enough to admit it?

There was a suggestion that RV owners were going to park away from MHF for whatever reason, well if thats the way you feel fine. It would appear from an non RV owner that you ask for bigger pitches, can we be near the exit, I must have hard standing, I want hook up, or failing that I am going to run my 4,000,000A gennie and I don't care what you non RV owners think.

If the above is typical of an RV owner then so be it, I suspect its not, just the few who demand everything, MY RV MY RIGHTS.

This is not meant to be an anti RV post, but please lets end this endless us and them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I can well imagine that one or two have bought them and regretted it, I wonder if anyone would be brave enough to admit it?

I bought my 36ft Georgieboy RV to go 'full time' in 2005, and never regretted a moment ... that is... until I came to sell it .. had it five years, three living full time , paid £45k.

In 2010 when I put it up for sale I reckon it was worth about £24k , advertised on ebay and elsewhere and after almost nine months I had one serious offer of £12k ..

Buyer turned up with a bag of readies, I was just so happy to be shot of it... I took the money .. so a loss of £33k over five years .. :Sad: an expensive lesson.. :RollEyes:

Yes, easy to buy.. nightmare to sell unless you are trading in against another one ..

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks for the insight Jim :thumb:I was going to ask (yesterday) how you got on with your sale,but got way laid-I remember you saying at the time how you took a big hit on it's worth,but no figures were mentioned:Smile:
terry

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

I have owned 3 RVs and travelled over 100'000 miles on 3 different continents in them. Two were diesels which I loved and were great for big long trips average trip was 3/4 months away. The problem was always the size especially on the continent as we were constantly not welcome at many campsites so when we found one that would have us we tended to stay longer than we liked and use the motorbike to tour. Luckily the motorbike is a 650cc not a scooter so we could cover a 150 mile radius 2 up quite easily. That is ok but means you have to plan everything ahead to make sure you can park up which is not how we like to travel.

So we bought a 2008 29ft C Class on a Ford chasis with 3 slides all singing and dancing with every comfort of home and a petrol engine:Eeek: We spent a lot on it but decided it was gonna be the one we kept as the smaller size gave us greater flexibility. Wrong, big mistake, we only had it a year but the fuel consumption was so horrendous we did'nt use it. We never did a long trip in it because of this and sold it after a year having only done a few thousand miles in it. We decided we would get out of RVs altogether and get a German van but no one would take it in part exchange against a European van. In the end the dealer we bought it from sold it for us on commision we did'nt do too bad but we did lose a few thousand on it but were just glad to see the back of it, no point having it if it just sits in the drive looking pretty. The loss on capital worked out at £1 a mile which is also close to what I reckoned it cost me to run

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
While this will always be a personal preference issue we went into a dealer at Malvern to look in an RV. We will take our shoes off, can we have a look. Now there are ways of saying no, not the very rude way we were spoken to.
Other dealers selling 5'ers and euro vans no problem.
We felt that the 5'ers were a bit dark inside.
Top marks go to Lowdham's sales staff who were very helpful and polite considering the early conditions, explaining and demonstrating how things worked when we asked - now that is the way to get my business.
Now, how to justify a change to a Hymer 544B to swmbo?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yes, if you want an RV then so be it, just don't go on and on about how great they are.

There was a suggestion that RV owners were going to park away from MHF for whatever reason, well if thats the way you feel fine. It would appear from an non RV owner that you ask for bigger pitches, can we be near the exit, I must have hard standing, I want hook up, or failing that I am going to run my 4,000,000A gennie and I don't care what you non RV owners think.

If the above is typical of an RV owner then so be it, I suspect its not, just the few who demand everything, MY RV MY RIGHTS.

This is not meant to be an anti RV post, but please lets end this endless us and them.

It appears that this thread was started by a non RV owner we just find it necessary to defend our pride and joy:thumb:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Just a thought regarding ScotlandJims post
Was wondering if you bought a car new or second hand no matter what model (with the exception of certain collectables) for £45k you would be lucky after 5yrs to get a return of £12k as even the most anti-depriciation proof models will at best only return close to 60% after as little as 3yrs, with the offset of living aboard full time for 3yrs no mortgage or rent payments no utilty bills repair bills etc etc (I know it brings its own bills but I know which is cheaper to run over the course of a year for me, house v RV) and on top of that the freedom to go as you please throughout the UK and europe each turn of the wheel an adventure, I would not be to disappointed with the return.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It would appear from an non RV owner that you ask for bigger pitches, can we be near the exit, I must have hard standing, I want hook up, or failing that I am going to run my 4,000,000A gennie and I don't care what you non RV owners think.

You say it isn't but it clearly is an anti RV post:RollEyes:

Never in years of Rally Marshalling have I had RV owners insist on being near the exit or having a hard standing or insisting on hookups or running gennies out of prescribed times. Total tosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back