RVs - easy to buy - problem selling? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The one you highlight terry isnt cheap, it is the average price being asked for a unit with no slides, be that A,B or C class - no slides = cheaper unit on the whole. Its the slides (amount of) and the extra room you get with them when parked up that generally increases the price

Hi Mags I was on the understanding that slides added around 2/3k for each slide-still looks cheap to me :winky:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It is when people come on here quoting 15 mpg on petrol and 20 MPG on gas that it become both incorrect and flawed :Doh::winky:
terry

Couldn't agree more Terry ..

There is so much tosh banded about about MPG and the benefits of LPG .. the figures just don't stack up ..

At 10mpg on petrol it will do 8mpg on LPG , that is a fact

Cost per mile on petrol @ 136.5 per litre = 61.4p

Cost per mile on LPG @ 71.4 = 40p

That's makes LPG aprox. 1/3 cheaper than petrol .. and giving an equivalent 14MPG

(Fuel prices are average and from this site http://www.petrolprices.com/)

At a saving of 20p per mile,the payback time for an LPG conversion is going to be 2 or 3 years .. longer than many keep an RV..

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My sweeping statement is as sweeping as many of the anti RV sweeping statements on this thread but how many EU Motorhomes come as standard with king size bed air con genny auto box slide outs and many more .
I repeat my Triton RV does 10mpg on LPG which equates to 18mpg
I agree with you all it is more expensive to run an RV but it is also more expensive to stay in a 5* hotel :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My sweeping statement is as sweeping as many of the anti RV sweeping statements on this thread but how many EU Motorhomes come as standard with king size bed air con genny auto box slide outs and many more .
I agree with you all it is more expensive to run an RV but it is also more expensive to stay in a 5* hotel :winky:

Yes, but most European models can be towed, not like one mentioned on here.

If anyone wants, likes and can afford an RV then its their choice, they are not the be all and end all of motorhoming, neither are European models, I have seen some of them and they are disasters.

So whats with the 5* hotel?

I have stayed in some of the best in the world and believe it or not 5* are not my fav, I like the food and the attention but, I have enjoyed myself in a Premier Inn and a bag of chips.

Each to his her own and lets avoid the snobbery, just think, you too could own a Rapido..:winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My EU motorhome not only comes with a king size bed, air con, auto box, 1200 watt silent sine wave inverter, black tank toilet, porcelain sink, but... eberspacher diesel heater as well as LPG tank and 2X15 kg bottles, and European mechanics that can be serviced anywhere in the world and does a comfortable 22 MPG :thumb:. Admittedly no slides,but I never felt the need for them in my RVs either.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have an RV because I wanted one.
The mpg is bearable considering the comfort and space offered with an RV. 5 star luxury for me and my wife, a big comfortable bed in its own room, a shower that i can fit in, a toilet that doesn't need emptying daily, etc;
I know that they are not to everyones taste, but they suit me.
I do not want a panel van conversion, i do not want a FIAT, Peugeot or Citroen.
I am often asked, "what does it do to a gallon"? to which i reply, "exactly the same as yours sat here on a campsite"!
Does it matter? If i want to save each and every penny, i could stay at home, going mental, watching strictly x-factor on ice in the jungle, and seeing the bank balance increase, chuffed at how much i have saved.........and what for?.......To leave to the family?
Sod it! I am here once, I have worked my boll*x off lining everyone else's pocket, now it's my turn to enjoy myself.
We would all like to achieve 60 mpg in our respective vehicles, but we aint going to. So, let's all enjoy what we have, for as long as we can, and be pleased we are enjoying our chosen hobby.
There are a lot of people in hospital and cemeteries that would love to be in our shoes!

Craig

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My EU motorhome not only comes with a king size bed, air con, auto box, 1200 watt silent sine wave inverter, black tank toilet, porcelain sink, but... eberspacher diesel heater as well as LPG tank and 2X15 kg bottles, and European mechanics that can be serviced anywhere in the world and does a comfortable 22 MPG :thumb:. Admittedly no slides,but I never felt the need for them in my RVs either.

Cheapskate, not even a pure sine wave, the shame of it, the whole of Europe will now shun Snowbird and his non pure since was whatsit... A contaminated sine wave, you will have to change your horn and have a bell, BRING OUT YOUR DEAD SINE WAVE. Whoa Whoa,BRING OUT YOUR DEAD SINE WAVE..

How did you get back to the UK with that, I must phone DEFRA, it could contaminate all us Europeans..

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Lpg is the only way to make a petrol vehicle cheaper to run.

I had a 4 litre Jeep Cherokee with lpg, wouldn't buy another lpg converted vehicle.

Range on lpg - 100L tank 80% full was 225 miles, that meant having to find fuel before 225 was up or run on the dreaded petrol.

Not every petrol station sells lpg but they all sell diesel.

Just filling the lpg tank was a pain - it takes so long.

For me - diesel every time

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Who said 10 mpg , it seems there has to be incorrect information used to back up a flawed opinion
Many RVs are fuelled on LPG mine included . Yes I get 10 mpg on LPG which costs me 66p litre which brings MPG cost to around 18 MPG.
This is not a like for like comparison between larger more complete and comfortable RVs and smaller lighter lower spec motor homes which will naturally be more economical.
I am sure that any campers seeing this thread could insist that carrying their tent in a small car returns 65mpg, again pointless as [HI]it is what each individual wants and can afford[/HI], they have their tents, you have your EU Motorhome and I have my RV :thumb:
I think you have just summarised the question pretty well Larry. Why are RVs easy to buy yet difficult to sell. Quote: “it is what each individual wants and can afford.”:thumb:

Not all RV owners are country squires or members of the law society, most are just average wage earners who enjoy their motorhome. The market is disappearing. Think about it, who is in the market for a thirsty motorhome today. Many were sold to people with a dream of selling their home and hitting the road. Have you tried to sell a home lately?. Others were purchasing with money they could not afford and are now paying the price. Additional mortgage to purchase a motorhome is no longer available.:cry:

So what is left, Who is now in the market to purchase a huge motorhome with a huge thirst. Fuel prices are rising quicker than the sun, so to buy and run an RV is only for the privileged few of which most would much prefer to hop on a big bird and be in the Caribbean enjoying their 5* living in just a few hours. There are not many 5* wives who would put up with driving for a week just to sit in 5* luxury. So yes RVs are just for the few individuals who want and can afford.:Cool:
Edit: I know many 5* wives and husbands who love their California's and the freedom they get in between their 5* holidays abroard.:Cool:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I think you have just summarised the question pretty well Larry. Why are RVs easy to buy yet difficult to sell. Quote: “it is what each individual wants and can afford.”:thumb:

Not all RV owners are country squires or members of the law society, most are just average wage earners who enjoy their motorhome. The market is disappearing. Think about it, who is in the market for a thirsty motorhome today. Many were sold to people with a dream of selling their home and hitting the road. Have you tried to sell a home lately?. Others were purchasing with money they could not afford and are now paying the price. Additional mortgage to purchase a motorhome is no longer available.:cry:

So what is left, Who is now in the market to purchase a huge motorhome with a huge thirst. Fuel prices are rising quicker than the sun, so to buy and run an RV is only for the privileged few of which most would much prefer to hop on a big bird and be in the Caribbean enjoying their 5* living in just a few hours. There are not many 5* wives who would put up with driving for a week just to sit in 5* luxury. So yes RVs are just for the few individuals who want and can afford.:Cool:
Edit: I know many 5* wives and husbands who love their California's and the freedom they get in between their 5* holidays abroard.:Cool:

Be in the Caribbean in a few hours? Where from? You may well be still in the airport in a few hours!
Anyway, the Caribbean is just for the few individuals who want and can afford:Cool:

Craig

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I love RVs, the comfort and space is awesome, to drive one is fantastic, the bathrooms are built for fat bastards and even I fit in in them. ::bigsmile: If you have a large family; RVs can be one of the very best options, if there are just two of you and you like your own space or you like to entertain or maybe your disabled, the RV can't easily be beaten. I've done 14,000 miles in a year in an RV and worried less about the cost of fuel than many who's engine was 6 litres smaller than mine.

I love panel van conversions, you can go anywhere and do proper touring and exploring. It's amazing how much storage you don't need, and travelling light, long and far brings wonderful rewards and costs me little in derv.

I love my small Hymer.........Lots of reasons....

I hate motorhome snobbery in any form, if it was all about mpg we'd be cycling with a tent on our panniers, if we all insisted on Geman, millions would'nt be able to afford a motorhome. I love the fact that all our tastes and means are different and that fun rallies have such a diverse range of Motorhomes attending, it makes them interesting. Motorhomefun has always been more interested in the person rather than what they are driving and long may it remain so:thumb:

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My original post ended with 'Are they just too big?'

I have driven vans and trucks most of my adult life but driving a fully laden MH (3500kg) for pleasure is different.

After sorting out my Ducato gear shift, fitting air-ride suspension and new shocks I am happy to use my 7m MH even for shopping and other routine trips, almost as as a car.

If I had bought a large RV I think that it would have been used far less, maybe I would think hard about taking an RV out at all - nothing to do with mpg -
just size

Even if I was full-timing I think that a well designed eurovan would be big enough - I am nowhere even close to filling the lockers on my van as it is!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If I need to shop I take the car or get Tesco to deliver
As far as RVs are concerned I only replied to the implied criticism of RVs by the thread instigator
In my opinion an RV is the best way for us to travel and relax :thumb:

Ps For us traveling and holidaying in a space that is smaller than my bathroom at home is unthinkable
I am not a snob just a realist

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Cheapskate, not even a pure sine wave, the shame of it, the whole of Europe will now shun Snowbird and his non pure since was whatsit... A contaminated sine wave, you will have to change your horn and have a bell, BRING OUT YOUR DEAD SINE WAVE. Whoa Whoa,BRING OUT YOUR DEAD SINE WAVE..

How did you get back to the UK with that, I must phone DEFRA, it could contaminate all us Europeans..
Sorry Dave, couldn't be arsed writing PURE.But it is :Cool:.

motomike

Free Member
May 2, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
since 2008
A lot of tit for tat stuff here.
Each to there own I say, as long as it's legal and harms no one. Buy what you want and can afford to use and run, not leave parked up...unless you like driveway camping.

Why all the bickering? Doesn't seem Fun.

MM

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I think it's called banter, not bickering. All in good fun, i hope. We are all different, but we all share the same hobby, be it in a van, or a gin palace.
Size is important to some, mpg is important to others, i love the MH life much more than any package holiday, or 5 star hotel.
A dear friend of mine is off to the Caymen islands for two weeks soon, a family of 4 (all adults), all inclusive, and the total cost is £10,000! That makes motorhoming seem relatively cheap to me, despite the mpg.

Craig

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
[HI]A lot of tit for tat [/HI]stuff here.
Each to there own I say, as long as it's legal and harms no one. [HI]Buy what you want and can afford to use and run, not leave parked up...unless you like driveway camping[/HI].

Why all the bickering? Doesn't seem Fun.

MM

Motormike....or MM...you are 100% correct Tit for Tat..more TIT than tat...as I would not call any motorhome Tat:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....This happens about every two to three weeks....somethings gets put on about a RV american....then the original thread gets lost...then all old TAT comes back......but take it from me..... they are all good friends...one big happy family.....just each one trying to wind the other up:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.....Honest Injun:thumb:

These people on the forum have some smashing motorhomes..Eurobox or as they call them Ice cream vans:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(like mine)....or the American thing the RV:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...simple banter nothing serious meant

If some of funsters that sit in the background would just try put some post's on....anything...... it give them/us something else to think off......the ice cream van and the Rv may be buried and forgotten ...burry the Hachette if you know what I mean....it's an American thing:Doh:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Mine is better than yours!:Tongue1:

Craig

My baby dolly winks :winky::winky:does yours.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Simsy... exactly............. my Neighbours cat has one eye....Whoooops I was looking at the wrong end:Doh:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I think it's called banter, not bickering. All in good fun, i hope. We are all different, but we all share the same hobby, be it in a van, or a gin palace.
Size is important to some, mpg is important to others, i love the MH life much more than any package holiday, or 5 star hotel.
[HI]A dear friend of mine is off to the Caymen islands for two weeks [/HI]soon, a family of 4 (all adults), all inclusive, and [HI]the total cost is £10,000! [/HI]That makes motorhoming seem relatively cheap to me, despite the mpg.

Craig

That's the Isle of Man for you... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Dont usually get involved with this sort of thing i.e. European v RVs, but as Larry has already stated our RV costs us no more to run than the bessecar 760 which we had that ran on deisel, the rv uses LPG and as the previous posts have said is usually half the price of petrol. We run an RV because that is our choice, and as Jim says it is not a case of snobbery as some other RVers have said (although some still think that way). This forums objective is for FUN and friendly banter, not for trying to score points over each other.

At the end of the day we all have the choice of which Motorhome we run and it wouldnt do for everyone to be the same, so come on if you want an RV and can afford to run it then go ahead and get one, or if a European van is what you want then go for it, a friend of ours bought a new Pilote last november, last week he traded it in for a Burstner.

We have travelled widely with our RV (only 27ft 4" long) both here and on the continent and have never had a problem on a campsite or wild camping. We use our RV every weekend either on rallies or just in the company of our friend.

As some of you know we do run meets for FUN, and would say that these are open to all, European vans and RVs, cos at the end of the day they are all Motorhomes.

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've had 3 RVs and enjoyed all of them with the exception of the last one which was a petrol and just too expensive to run for us. We like our Hymer just as much though and it has given us more freedom to just get up and go and is very comfortable for our extended trips and brilliant in extreme cold and has a massive payload.

But I also like the simplicity of my motorbike with just a tent on the back but for Jan thats a definate no no :winky: so those trips are always solo. So its whatever suits your needs at any one time, don't think for one moment theres a right or wrong.

I'll be sad to see Rvs dissapear but I think its inevitable eventually. Of course if they make an economical diesel (25mpg) 25ft long 7"6 wide with a nice full length slide with some decent insulation then I'll be in the market again Maybe:winky:

Can't see it though the Americans greed and love affair with oil seems to be insatiable:Eeek:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This post has gone way off course, the question posed was simply.....“RVs - easy to buy - problem selling?”

I think RVs are dead easy to buy because the market is dwindling fast causing prices to tumble, so anyone with access to a spare 30k in their back pocket can really pick up a bargain..... Or can they....laying out 30k for a bargain RV will only park your new pride and joy on your driveway.:Eeek:

Using your new purchase is another story. I average in my camper around 20,000 miles per year, Jim has stated that his average is 14,000 miles per year in his RV. Just using the lowest figure will cost around £160 per week for fuel alone at today’s prices, add to this depreciation, standard running costs, repair costs and dare I say site fees and you can see why UK RVs are becoming dinosaurs.:Sad:

They are just too expensive to use for anyone apart from country squires, members of the law society or maybe forum owners.
:winky:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:ROFLMAO: Hi just a small comment some year's ago we knew a OAP couple who had retired and lived full time in a very small camper and I do mean small. Who lived on £50 a week £40 on site's and living cost they saved £10 a week for fuel after a couple of week's they would put £20 of juice in and off they would go even stopping in the next village if they liked it but would not use more than £10 per week. If the needed to catch a ferry they would stay at the port untill they had saved the ferry fare then move on I knew of them for a year or so I think they would struggle with a RV but I think they would have tried :ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi buttons back to square one .if its easy to buy one now .then someone must be selling .so i still cant understand your question .
someone selling someone buying ,its easy to sell if its easy to buy .
dont you get it . :ROFLMAO::thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We've had 3 RVs and enjoyed all of them with the exception of the last one which was a petrol and just too expensive to run for us. We like our Hymer just as much though and it has given us more freedom to just get up and go and is very comfortable for our extended trips and brilliant in extreme cold and has a massive payload.

But I also like the simplicity of my motorbike with just a tent on the back but for Jan thats a definate no no :winky: so those trips are always solo. So its whatever suits your needs at any one time, don't think for one moment theres a right or wrong.

I'll be sad to see Rvs dissapear but I think its inevitable eventually. [HI] Of course if they make an economical diesel (25mpg)[/HI] 25ft long 7"6 wide with a nice full length slide with some decent insulation then I'll be in the market again Maybe:winky:

Can't see it though the Americans greed and love affair with oil seems to be insatiable:Eeek:

Forestboy...Now your talking.... what if we rip out and dump the old gas guzzling petrol V8..V10 and fit the reverse judder Fiat engine gearbox in instead:whistle: what a combo..... the American Whippy van:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

and instead of the Indians on the back and side's...we could have

images

images

images

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
hi buttons back to square one .if its easy to buy one now .then someone must be selling .so i still cant understand your question .
someone selling someone buying ,its easy to sell if its easy to buy .
dont you get it . :ROFLMAO::thumb:
Thats ok vwalan, I've had a young family things are not always easy as they seem.:winky:
You are absolutly right, RVs are dead easy to buy simply because the market is saturated by unsold RVs because there are no buyers out there......I had better not go into any more detail or you will think I am taking the pee.:winky:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Forestboy...Now your talking.... what if we rip out and dump the old gas guzzling petrol V8..V10 and fit the reverse judder Fiat engine gearbox in instead:whistle: what a combo..... the American Whippy van:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

and instead of the Indians on the back and side's...we could have

images

images

images

Wot no sauce or nuts:ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back