Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
how power hungry is your average RV

They can use a little more juice if your not careful, for example in my RV there were over 36 5w bulbs :) you would want to leave all those on. :) That aside I would say leccy use is the same as any other van.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
welcome to the forum, you should fit right in, lots on here have the same problem spelling as you(y)
An RV will always cost more to service and maintain it really depends on fuel consumption for me, if money is no object then go for it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As I said in an earlier post, if you have a hankering for an RV nothing anyone says will turn you off them. I have run them and am running an American fifth wheel outfit at the moment, Dodge Ram and fiver. I have also ran the premium German vans at 7.5 ton as well as VW campers. There is no right or wrong, it just comes down to preference and what suits you at the time. I would always agree that the RV is king when parked up, and if you travel less than 10000 miles per year it wont hurt the bank too much. What always worried me was although parts are freely available in the UK, when you have a minor problem in parts of Europe, it becomes a major problem. I have been waiting 3 weeks now for an air filter for a Dodge Ram in Benidorm. It arrived today, and OK I could have had it shipped over from the UK or the States if I was in a hurry, but its not so easy with a starter motor or alternator, or something a little obscure like a brake part. Size was never an issue regarding campsites as I know where am going most of the time. My last German rig was 15 metres long with the trailer, its just the availability of parts in obscure places that puts me off the Yanks now. One more thing, I have never seen an RV that is fully winterised yet, not to the standards that some of the German vans are anyway. If you want one, buy one and try it, thats the only way you will find out if it suits you or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Might be in the middle of a field with somebody else who might not like generators, I am not trying to make this a generator thread as that has been done plenty of times. Rather the question was how power hungry is your average RV (if such a thing exists) can you live with average sunshine for a week or two with your set up or do you still need 240v input, generator or otherwise.
With my set up, I rarely plug into mains during the latter part of Spring, Summer and the beginning of Autumn. In the Winter, if there is hook up available I'll happily plug in but can survive without it.

Like all of us, we tend to be more frugal with power when we know that we have to be.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
<----- This is a RV ... recreational vehicle :rolleyes:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Out of interest, if someone was in a eurovan how long could you be off grid in the winter in the UK or somewhere cold and still be comfortable and have showers, keep food frozen, cook etc? Genuine question as I have nothing to compare only ever having done this in an RV
As long as I want really, I have 320W solar panels, 4 x 110 amp/hr batteries, underslung gas tank that lasts about 3 months with the fridge on 24/7. Water lasts the 2 of us a week but not difficult to find someplace to refill.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I shall have to do more research. Mine has blown heating,which I think uses a fair bit, and the laptop etc is power hungry I think. I do have two solar panels, but they hardly do anything much I find. I certainly need to run the generator a fair bit in this weather in the uk. Mind you it is nice an toasty in here

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I shall have to do more research. Mine has blown heating,which I think uses a fair bit, and the laptop etc is power hungry I think. I do have two solar panels, but they hardly do anything much I find. I certainly need to run the generator a fair bit in this weather in the uk. Mind you it is nice an toasty in here

It's one drawback of RVs, the blown air heating is power and gas hungry. I fitted a Wave6 catalytic heater for use when not on hook up but the Alde wet system is best I think.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think Jim's post above is spot on. Choose what layout you want and go from there. But if the idea of owning an RV appeals you may have to scratch that itch and buy. There's a book called "When Katie pulled Boris" you can get about someone's experiences of buying and then touring in an RV. Worth reading before spending any money.

Some folk like US vehicles, must be genetic as they do absolutely nothing for me but clearly they can be loved. We have a Jack Russell dog, others have larger ones, just a matter of choice, big or small they can all be loved by someone.

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
An Rv was my first choice, and first mh, due to the fact that there would be 5 of us in it. (6 this summer)
My wife and I both took our hgv test, so we can drive it legally, and to begin with, I found it quite daunting, to drive a left hand drive, and something so wide. That gets much easier over time.
I have to say, I love the space, and the comfort level that only Rv`s seem to offer.
Over time, as my three children come away with us less, I could see us moving to something smaller, and that will give more than 8mpg. They do love a bit of juice, but the payback is a lovely V8 growl, which is very sweet.
As for stand alone, with no services, I think they are hard to beat. Apart from the blown heating, I don`t find them power hungry, and the black, grey, and fresh water tanks, take some beating capacity wise.
As said, parts can be found reasonably easily in the uk. So far, i`ve been lucky enough not to need any abroad !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
european vans built for a european climate, american rv's built for an american climate. If I could or wanted a large vehicle which i don't as happy enough with a large house and don't need to replicate that on the road as a boy scout at heart:) I would go european, year round use, double floor, double glazed, ALDE central heating. solid GRP construction and quality interior finish..

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
european vans built for a european climate, american rv's built for an american climate. If I could or wanted a large vehicle which i don't as happy enough with a large house and don't need to replicate that on the road as a boy scout at heart:) I would go european, year round use, double floor, double glazed, ALDE central heating. solid GRP construction and quality interior finish..

American climate sort of like the east coast of USA at present
Not exactly mild

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
european vans built for a european climate, american rv's built for an american climate.

Not sure what you mean by that. Plenty of European vans are ill equipped for European winters, designed for two week summer holidays. In contrast some of the most fully winterised vehicles I have ever seen are RVs built for the high States and Canada.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Depends what you want.........
lots of room ? Our lounge/dinette is 12ft square Plus the front seats.
proper bed.......ours is 6ft x 6ft 4in and is walk around with a 10in mattress
proper appliances....our fridge freezer is big enough for two children to stand in if you take out the shelving.
plenty hot water......our boiler is 6 gallons...many are 10 gallons.
plenty cold water......our tank is 70 gallons
excellent fuel consumption.....buy a european van
10mpg is an average for petrol...diesel may be 12 to 14mpg But if the engine is at the front you'll go deaf.

A PERMANENT grin so big it joins at the back of your head....buy an RV.

Seems a bit extreme - surely you have enough room onboard for a naughty step?:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
BONZO

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Well All you comments are very good. And think I need to look at a lot more of everything you all have been a big help I will ponder , some moor . I will tell you all what I end up with and hopefully you will get to see it on a meet. John n Linda x

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Out of interest, if someone was in a eurovan how long could you be off grid in the winter in the UK or somewhere cold and still be comfortable and have showers, keep food frozen, cook etc? Genuine question as I have nothing to compare only ever having done this in an RV

I lived off grid in the UK for years, some of which time was in winter...

I adapted my life to fit and discovered a whole new way of living whilst still participating in coventional life as well.

JJ :cool:

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I lived off grid in the UK for years, some of which time was in winter...

I adapted my life to fit and discovered a whole new way of living whilst still participating in coventional life as well.

What would you regard as and acceptable inside temp for normal living? and what method of heating did you use please?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
All our tanks are in the double floor, which is heated, and the tanks have heaters. I suspect the the winters in the USA are much harsher the mainland Europe.

As with European motorhomes, quality levels vary. There are few European motorhomes with ceramic tiled floors, hand made hardwood cabin ages and doors, ceramic jacuzzi, WC and baths

It's too wide a field to make generalisations I belive

Eddie

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
All our tanks are in the double floor, which is heated, and the tanks have heaters. I suspect the the winters in the USA are much harsher the mainland Europe.

As with European motorhomes, quality levels vary. There are few European motorhomes with ceramic tiled floors, hand made hardwood cabin ages and doors, ceramic jacuzzi, WC and baths

It's too wide a field to make generalisations I belive

Eddie

yes that was stupid in retrospect but most of the USA RV's I have seen have been pretty poor with single glazing and domestic style cheap kitchens etc..

obviously there are good and bad in all markets but at a price..

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
yes that was stupid in retrospect but most of the USA RV's I have seen have been pretty poor with single glazing and domestic style cheap kitchens etc..

obviously there are good and bad in all markets but at a price..

Maybe have a look at a few more. Then speak from experience

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Don't forget that many RV's sold in the UK are really entry level in the States. A £80K RV in the UK would retail circa $80K in the states so really cheap, but much better value for money. (@$1.60 /£1 about £50K)

I have flush smoked glass double glazed windows, a hardwood kitchen with corian tops, monoblock taps and about 300Ltrs of fresh water to use in it;)

I do feel hard done by when I arrive and the hydraulic jacks go down and the two massive slides go out lol

As I said in a previous post on this thread, all motorhomes are different, as are the users, there are poor quality European vans, poor quality American vans. My Favourite van is our 2nd van a Swift Kon Tiki, mainly because of the memories of travelling Europe with our young children who are now grown men and enjoy the lifestlye with their partners and children.

I think actually I just love motorhomes and what they allow me to do, all of them

OP
OP
BONZO

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Hi Eddie what dose your Rev do to the gall .can I ask is it better to have a Rv run on gas....or petrol..or diesel

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Bonzo

We run on LPG and petrol and get about 10 mpg as a mixed average. We hold 190 ltrs of petrol and about 250 ltrs of LPG

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Dippingatoe.. The spec sheet on our Autotrail says it will maintain 21 deg C when the outside temp is minus 15 deg C.. Which seems reasonable.. Our cottage is nice at 21 deg C, so it follows.....

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Maybe have a look at a few more. Then speak from experience

No thanks :) the question was are RV's worth it and to me they are not.....at least what I have seen. if it was a " I love RV's " type thread I would have ignored it?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Very easy to criticise when you have little or no experience of them but pound for pound far better value when compared with similar size Eurovans , many of the upmarket ones costing a great deal more than a good RV.
Then come the extras, slideouts rare, genny extra, paint job generally white or white, aircon extra.
We looked thoroughly four years ago before downsizing to our present unit and nothing over here came near it.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Hi Dippingatoe.. The spec sheet on our Autotrail says it will maintain 21 deg C when the outside temp is minus 15 deg C.. Which seems reasonable.. Our cottage is nice at 21 deg C, so it follows.....
So is it an Alde type heating system. Forgive me I am not up to speed on heating systems, having only ever used one - blown air - which seems heavy on the batteries I think, though again not sure. Its possible my batteries may not be holding as much charge as they should, but again I am too novice at this to be certain about anything much

I don't think discussing heating is going off topic, as presumably it will all help OP in his decision.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi
Once again we have the issue regarding RV versus European and we get the same comments saying that the former guzzle fuel and so cost more to run, we have an RV which runs on LPG and consequently we find that it costs us no more to run this than our previous motorhome which was a Bessecarr 760, our RV is only 27ft 6" long and has 2 slide outs which gives plenty of room when these are out, with regards to these being cheaply constructed with domestic kitchen fittings this is not so, have you ever been to a motorhome manufacturer in the UK and seen how these are made and how flimsy they are, we did and it was an eye opener. So if you want an RV get one that runs on LPG (which virtually half the price of petrol) as well as petrol and you can afford one go ahead and buy one, also if you go to meets with FUN or the RV section ask members if you can have a look at theirs, if we meet up at any time you are welcome to come and see for yourselves and ask any questions. Duncan at Star Spangled Spanner is the man who knows all about RVs so repairs and spares aren't a problem and easily available. Rant over, hope you find you RV.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
What would you regard as and acceptable inside temp for normal living? and what method of heating did you use please?

I used a Traumatic gas heater which started life warming British Rail workers in their crew/service van.

I am afraid I can't help with temperatures
as I never use them. If I was cold I fired up the heater until I wasn't!

My (well insulated) van warmed up very quickly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back