LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Its being discussed because its a Motorhome Forum - RV's are Motorhomes. Now then, all those Daily Mail stories posted on here That is where your question should be asked:ROFLMAO:

Indeed, me old 6 Nations Runner up....:winky:

Indeed I have occasionally posted from the Daily Mail in the U Shaped Lounge (The U Shaped Lounge for Non Motorhome Chat & Debate).. So thus abiding 'nearly with the rules'.

So whats the RVOC thing for then?

Wasp asked the question, views were given and as always it spiralled into my RV is better than or my Eurovan is blah blah.,..

I have given my opinion as Wasp requested, if it not what some people wish to hear, thats fine, but its an opinion.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
an d where did the fight start.......right here by a Euro self building trouble causer :RollEyes::roflmto:

Never had one ::bigsmile: never been took by the idea to have one ::bigsmile: All the ones I have seen are not that well screwed together inside and the older ones are very tired,both woodwork wise and furnishings :Smile:Why would you want something that is basically too big to move around/visit places apart from driving and parking up.You may as have a caravan.I just do not get the point of them unless you are F/Time and need all the room.You can get some very large euro vans that only cost half as much to run but then again for us they are just too big :Doh:::bigsmile: you do get a lot of van for the money but at the same time as it gets older the market shrinks and you will loose a lot :winky: unless you find another person thinking along the same lines as you ::bigsmile:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Indeed, me old 6 Nations Runner up....:winky:

Indeed I have occasionally posted from the Daily Mail in the U Shaped Lounge (The U Shaped Lounge for Non Motorhome Chat & Debate).. So thus abiding 'nearly with the rules'.

So whats the RVOC thing for then?

Wasp asked the question, views were given and as always it spiralled into my RV is better than or my Eurovan is blah blah.,..

I have given my opinion as Wasp requested, if it not what some people wish to hear, thats fine, but its an opinion.

I think posting a question and discussing American RVs in the "American RV" forum section is nearly within the rules too:Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I think posting a question and discussing American RVs in the "American RV" forum section is nearly within the rules too:Smile:

however, posting whilst having manflu should result in an instant ban. :thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Go for it Shift, you know you love yanks :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I wish you would get your keyboard sorted out,.,,,

Actually, I have been over to the USA on a number of occasions, the 1st being in 1982 and I drove and Oldsmobile Cutlass, not good and not particaulary bad, drove it from NY to Miami stopping at a number of locations on the way,

I have friends in a number of States and even MrsShiftZZ's baby brother has lived over there for over 25 years.

Do I like America and everything American?
No.

Do I like Americans? In the main NO, a brash and vulgar nation.

Would I buy an American vehicle?
No, I would rather have a kidney removed under local anathetic by Old Mo using a pen knife.

So there you have it, each to their own.....

lgGN0630.jpg

The real US image that I see in my head..

Link Removed

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I wish you would get your keyboard sorted out,.,,,

Actually, I have been over to the USA on a number of occasions, the 1st being in 1982 and I drove and Oldsmobile Cutlass, not good and not particaulary bad, drove it from NY to Miami stopping at a number of locations on the way,

I have friends in a number of States and even MrsShiftZZ's baby brother has lived over there for over 25 years.

Do I like America and everything American?
No.

Do I like Americans? In the main NO, a brash and vulgar nation.

Would I buy an American vehicle?
No, I would rather have a kidney removed under local anathetic by Old Mo using a pen knife.

So there you have it, each to their own.....

lgGN0630.jpg

The real US image that I see in my head..

Link Removed

We have found them friendly and helpful and love our RV :thumb:

Old Mo's penknife ( they dont write so in Norfolk we call them shutkives as they do actually shut ) is a dangerous option as he could have been cleaning sheeps hooves with [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] his pink wellies on ::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I do not know any Bubba's

Lastly, you need a Confederate Flag, painting of Native American Indians and wolves painted on it and all your RV mates are called Bubba, Billy Ray, Jeffereson or Randy or someother rednack name. Oh yes chewing tobacco is mandatory and endless repeats of Dukes of Hazzard and the mandatory Cowboy hat..

I know a Jim, a Bob, a Brian, a Clive, so far not met anyone I call Bubba, or Billy Ray.. yes I have a picture of a couple Indians on horses on the end cap of my WINNEBAGO .. but you would expect that given it is an RV and Winnebago is an Indian Nation... mind you Shifty have seen a fair few on european motorhomes as well.

I was not aware that I was obliged to post only on an RV site? As I joined MHF I consider that is where I post as a motorhome owner.:Blush:

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Why is this being discussed on here. Whats wrong with RVOC or do RV owners just wannabee owners of proper motorhomes?

Seriously, RV's were designed for the US market, European (and the far superior Motorhomes) were designed for Europe?

As far as I can see some Yank passion wagons have very little to offer above the European model. Some 30 foot monstrosities don't even have a fixed bed, the only benefit that I can see is you don't have to go and dump the pooh pooh as often. Oh yes they are power hungry and the number of times you need to turn on the AC in the UK is few and far between and having to carry all that extra weight and the power required to run it is not as far as I can see sensible.

If you want one, fine, buy it, just dont moan about its running costs, lack of parking, crap on soft ground, noisy and expensive spare parts.

Right thats my view.

Back to the bunker.

Lastly, you need a Confederate Flag, painting of Native American Indians and wolves painted on it and all your RV mates are called Bubba, Billy Ray, Jeffereson or Randy or someother rednack name. Oh yes chewing tobacco is mandatory and endless repeats of Dukes of Hazzard and the mandatory Cowboy hat..
SAY what you mean ::bigsmile:

an d where did the fight start.......right here by a Euro self building trouble causer :RollEyes::roflmto:
OYE -only gave my opinion ::bigsmile: then went fishing :thumb: AND GOT A FEW BITES :winky:
terry

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I know a Jim, a Bob, a Brian, a Clive, so far not met anyone I call Bubba, or Billy Ray.. yes I have a picture of a couple Indians on horses on the end cap of my WINNEBAGO .. but you would expect that given it is an RV and Winnebago is an Indian Nation... mind you Shifty have seen a fair few on european motorhomes as well.

I was not aware that I was obliged to post only on an RV site? As I joined MHF I consider that is where I post as a motorhome owner.:Blush:

Bob

Native American Indians have NOTHING to do with RV's. And as for having them on European vans, in my humble opinion it just looks wrong...

Indeed there is a section on here for RV's etc, I just dont understand why the whoha was when you wanted your own section. I see you have not posted on there for some time, any reason?

You are as always correct regarding the name. A bit of research may have provided you with the following little gem.
The term "Winnebago" originally came from an exonym, that is, a name given to the people by the neighboring Algonquian-speaking tribes[citation needed], such as the Fox, Sauk, and Ojibway (Ojibwe/Chippewa). Various spellings exist, reflecting the French and English colonists' attempts to record transliterations of the Algonquian words. These include: "Winnebago, Wiinibiigoo, Wuinebagoes, Ouinepegi, Ouinipegouek, and Winipeg". This name has been variously translated as, "people of the stinking water," "people of the filthy water," "people of the stagnant water'" and "people of the smelly waters."

So there you go, Winnebago people of smelly waters, just like parts of Kent and South Humberside.

But as is life, a variable tapestry each of us making choices, each of us having preferences, mine is the 'French Wanderer' yours a smelly puddle of water from over the other side of the pond, I suppose now I have worked it out, I suppose, its an American thing..:winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So Shifty, if your suggesting that Rv owners should confine themselves to the rv owners club. Why don't you take yourself off to here. Broken Link Removed. Same difference:RollEyes:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
What and have him miss the fun ::bigsmile:
Jim why has this page got very big -can you make it normal again -or is it to accommodate RVs
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
how I wish I could have trade marked those words

I really wish I could have trade marked those words Shifty... It's an American thing..... I would have made a fortune... At least you seem to understand that now... so that is one giant step forward....

Not sure if it is a complement or not being called a smelly water hole from kent:Blush:... been called worse by those I have not got off.

I enjoy life on this side of the fence more shifty.. I get to fence with you... excuse the pun:ROFLMAO: while you are having a go at the US of A or RV owners then it means you are leaving someone else alone.. so that is good in my books.

If you want to research the Indian nations I suggest a good book is " A History of the Indians of the United States' by Angie Debo... real in depth ... interesting ... even tells you about the smelly waters in greater detail..

Bob:Eeek:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Native American Indians have NOTHING to do with RV's. And as for having them on European vans, in my humble opinion it just looks wrong...

Indeed there is a section on here for RV's etc, I just dont understand why the whoha was when you wanted your own section. I see you have not posted on there for some time, any reason?

You are as always correct regarding the name. A bit of research may have provided you with the following little gem.
The term "Winnebago" originally came from an exonym, that is, a name given to the people by the neighboring Algonquian-speaking tribes[citation needed], such as the Fox, Sauk, and Ojibway (Ojibwe/Chippewa). Various spellings exist, reflecting the French and English colonists' attempts to record transliterations of the Algonquian words. These include: "Winnebago, Wiinibiigoo, Wuinebagoes, Ouinepegi, Ouinipegouek, and Winipeg". This name has been variously translated as, "people of the stinking water," "people of the filthy water," "people of the stagnant water'" and "people of the smelly waters."

So there you go, Winnebago people of smelly waters, just like parts of Kent and South Humberside.

But as is life, a variable tapestry each of us making choices, each of us having preferences, mine is the 'French Wanderer' yours a smelly puddle of water from over the other side of the pond, I suppose now I have worked it out, I suppose, its an American thing..:winky:

Typically, just like any polititan and the red top newspapers, you take just a few words out of the heap and make something of it.

Taken from WikkiWhatsit........................

The term "Winnebago" originally came from an exonym, that is, a name given to the people by the neighboring Algonquian-speaking tribes, such as the Fox, Sauk, and Ojibway (Ojibwe/Chippewa). Various spellings exist, reflecting the French and English colonists' attempts to record transliterations of the Algonquian words. These include: "Winnebago, Wiinibiigoo, Wuinebagoes, Ouinepegi, Ouinipegouek, and Winipeg". This name has been variously translated as, "people of the stinking water," "people of the filthy water,"people of the stagnant water'" and "people of the smelly waters."

The Algonquian words do not have the negative overtones attached to the French word puant and the English word "stinky." The French translated and shortened the name to simply les puants (or les puans), which was translated into English as "the Stinkards." Many researchers believe that the waters referred to were either stagnant waters of Green Bay or the aromatic, algae-filled waters of the rivers or lakes where the Winnebago were living in the mid-17th century. The earliest reports indicate that both the French explorers and the First Nations people understood the name to refer to their place of origin, not where they were living at the time of European encounter. They had migrated from earlier territories. While the names Lac des Puans (for Lake Michigan on a map from 1650) and Le Baye des Puans (on later maps) led some historians to conclude these referred to the condition of the waters, early records of both bodies reported them as clear and fresh. The waters were named after the American Indian people then living on their shores.
Historians say the Algonquian terms referred to salt-water seas, which do have a distinctive aroma compared with fresh-water lakes. An early Jesuit record says that the name refers to Le Puans origin near the salt water seas to the north. Algonquians also called them "the people of the sea." (A Native people who lived on the shores of Hudson Bay were called by the same name.) When Jean Nicolet and Samuel de Champlain learned of the "sea" connection to the tribe's name, they were optimistic that it meant Le puans were from or had lived near the Pacific Ocean, and that there was a nearby possible connection to China.
In recent studies, ethnologists say that the Winnebago, like the other Siouan-speaking peoples, originated or coalesced on the east coast of North America. The early 20th-century researcher H.R. Holand said they originated in Mexico, where they had contact with the Spanish and gained a knowledge of horses. He cites the records of Jonathan Carver, who lived with the Winnebago in 1766-1768. But, contact with the Spanish could have occurred along the Gulf of Mexico or the south Atlantic coast. Others suggested that the Winnebago originated in salt water areas, to explain how mid-western tribes had a knowledge of the Pacific Ocean, where the earth ends and the sun "sets into the sea." The Ho-Chunk say that their people have always lived in what is now the north central United States. Linguistic and ethnographic studies have generated other deep histories of the various American Indian peoples.

Ho-Chunk is the tribe's name for itself, or autonym. It also has had numerous spelling variations, Hocak, Hotanke, Houchugarra, Hotcangara, Ochungaraw, Ochungarah, Hochungra Hochungara, and Ochangara. Translations include: "the fish eaters," "the trout people," "the big fish people", "the big speech people," "the people of the big voice," "the people of the parent speech", and "the people of the original language."

Current elders say it means, "the people of the big voice" or "the people of the sacred language."

So there you have it. Link Removed Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back