RV what`s your opinion. (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Perhaps a good place to start could be to list some of the pros and cons of owning an large RV.:thumb:
Pros... Great to live in on site, great to entertain in, great to carry loads of stuff around that you will never use, great driving position on motorways, Great for taking the family away.........there must be a few more?

Great for space with slideouts ( just like home on rainy days)
Great for all facilities ( Aircon - Generator - Large fridge freezer etc )
Great for reliability ( will reverse without judder)
Great for creature comforts ( large walk around bed etc )
Great for convenience ( no toilet emptying every day and large water holding)
Great for touring
Great for economy and clean on emissions (LPG )
Great for traction on wet grass with large double wheels
Great for all the extras as standard.
Great for appearance ( full paint finishes )
Great value for money
Great for choice ( Large or small an RV for every purpose )

Cant think of any cons ::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
SOLD

Great for touring
Great value for money

SOLD... where do I buy one? ........ oh I have one... silly billy

Bob:winky:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Great for touring
Great value for money

[HI]Cant think of any cons[/HI] ::bigsmile:
No me neither, :winky: what about reverse judder, do they have any of that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Plenty/sufficient space -feet up lounging but can still use cooker loo etc
All facility's needed-no need for genny or air con ,but easy to fit if required :winky:
So will mine
Same here but the bed adjusts from two 6ft6ins singles to a 5 ft x 6ft 6 ibs double to a 6 ft 6 ins sq :winky:
we all have to em[ty at some stage :winky:
Great for touring
same here
Better 30 mpg not 20 :winky:

Same here
no need for extras -just fitted what we wanted :thumb:
personal choice:Smile:
Great value for money
BETTER VALUE FOR MONEY ::bigsmile:
Same here any size :Smile:
How much have you lost on your van ? have had ours for almost 6 yrs with NIL or very little deprecation-possibly show a profit ::bigsmile::winky:

SELF BUILD RULES OK :thumb:

12 MPG OK NEAR 20 LPG:Smile: TOO BIG unless living in it :winky:Unable to park up in most towns and car parks etc,Got to have other means of transport bike,toad etc

::bigsmile:::bigsmile: edit sorry could not resist
terry

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I can spit further than you comes to mind

I can spit further than you seems to come to mind:Blush:

Bob:winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
IF Tuesdays lottery comes up I will be straight down the road to Barnsley buy the biggest RV there :thumb: then onto the VW dealers for a small camper for a toad then the big decision which van to convert ::bigsmile: and then finding a house sitter :thumb:::bigsmile: :Eeek: :Doh: forgot I had better buy a lucky dip :winky:::bigsmile:The conversion will have to wait until we get back :winky:
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I do hate these threads of "mine is better than yours because because because"

The OP asked a decent enough question and all that has developed is a mine can do this or yours can't do that.

Wasp,
Only you will know what you want to do in terms of your camping. When you know then you can fit the unit to your lifestyle and not the other way round.

If I ever only done regular meets and shows with a winter in Spain, had deep pockets and was an ultra confident driver I would have a very large RV.

But that don't suit my usage.

Larry says he can go anywhere, sorry Larry you can't, not even in your smaller unit, Perhaps ask Champers about her mountain detour in a van half the size of yours when skiing this year in her search of LPG, or try and squeeze on an aire which I couldn't even get on.
What it should say, or what anyone should say is that it can go anywhere YOU want it too. However, YOU might want to go to different place to ME.
Yes you might want to say you can get wherever, and yes you might actually get there, however how was your but hole after the drive? is your heart rate still down? Some places I drive ive felt/wished I was in something smaller.

I have plenty of space in my van for me nikki and the dog, I don;t want more, if I did I would get an RV.

I have all the facilities you mention,

My van is reliable, does not judder in reverse, or how long do you spend going backwards anyway?

I have wonderful creature comforts, I need no more than I have.

Yes I empty the toilet but if that's an issue then is worth even going motorhoming? after all we will all have to at some point.

Great for touring?
As said, only for the touring YOU do. A couple of years ago, I went through some very rural France with another member following in a small RV and a toad. I had to think very very carefully about the route and change it on occasions as they could not make the original planned route due to height, weight and width restrictions. So YOU must do different touring to ME.

Great for MPG.
dress it up any way you like, an RV will cost more. a lot more in some not as much more in others but MORE for sure.

as for Value for money? probably they are, but then you dont care about money because your used to it costing so much more to run anyway.

Great for appearance :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: yours is Larry for sure, but don't get confusing poor wasp, remember Roadrunner's allegro? need I say more.

So Wasp, drop Jim an email, he's had a few and loves his smaller van. But don't listen to the Hutchies, an RV works for them but there's anout 20 of them that need to live in it.
Most who have them are or have been coach/wagon drivers and so driving don't bother them.

I regret, not getting one when the kids were smaller and we needed that extra space at meets etc, but could not think of anything worse to fit in to the type of camping that I now do.

But each to their own, not one is better than the other in the same way a caravan is no better than a motorhome if you use it differently.

The only tale of caution I would offer is that buying is easy, selling and not losing money is incredibly difficult. :Cool:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I only answered a direct question from Buttons on pros and cons of an RV .
You are right Paul nothing goes every where but my RV does go everywhere, that I want it too :thumb: and I am sure that if public transport and emergency vehicles in any country can use their roads then so can I and many other RVs.
Very much a case of how people perceive an RV, they may look huge , but are they ?

I carry bikes , tow toad or hire a car depending on the trip planned which is just what we want :Smile:

What I did say earlier in the thread was that we all had what we wanted and were happy with, whether large or small. :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Got to lighten up guys ::bigsmile:
I need bits like this today Ann's got me decorating AGAIN :Doh:::bigsmile:
terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I thought that was Fiat's that had that issue... not sure any RV would suffer that issue .. we have nice smooth automatic gearboxes.:Blush:
Bob
I was fully aware of this Bob:winky:, my reference to reverse judder was just another positive for the American RV. I think most of us are aware that Reverse Judder is synonymous with Fiat not the RV.:thumb:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
But don't listen to the Hutchies, an RV works for them but there's anout 20 of them that need to live in it.

We did actually have seventeen people inside for a Chinese takeaway a couple of Saturdays ago.
Then all round again the next morning for the traditional motorhomers' breakfast of bacon rolls.

::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
very glad Buttons you are aware it is not an RV issue

I was fully aware of this Bob:winky:, my reference to reverse judder was just another positive for the American RV. I think most of us are aware that Reverse Judder is synonymous with Fiat not the RV.:thumb:

Very glad Buttons that you know it is not an RV issue...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: as they say Buttons, mine is bigger than yours:winky::winky::winky: ... my RV we are talking about Buttons... Not much I will give you but still longer:Blush:

Bob:thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I do hate these threads of "mine is better than yours because because because"

The OP asked a decent enough question and all that has developed is a mine can do this or yours can't do that.

Wasp,
Only you will know what you want to do in terms of your camping. When you know then you can fit the unit to your lifestyle and not the other way round.

If I ever only done regular meets and shows with a winter in Spain, had deep pockets and was an ultra confident driver I would have a very large RV.

But that don't suit my usage.

Larry says he can go anywhere, sorry Larry you can't, not even in your smaller unit, Perhaps ask Champers about her mountain detour in a van half the size of yours when skiing this year in her search of LPG, or try and squeeze on an aire which I couldn't even get on.
What it should say, or what anyone should say is that it can go anywhere YOU want it too. However, YOU might want to go to different place to ME.
Yes you might want to say you can get wherever, and yes you might actually get there, however how was your but hole after the drive? is your heart rate still down? Some places I drive ive felt/wished I was in something smaller.

I have plenty of space in my van for me nikki and the dog, I don;t want more, if I did I would get an RV.

I have all the facilities you mention,

My van is reliable, does not judder in reverse, or how long do you spend going backwards anyway?

I have wonderful creature comforts, I need no more than I have.

Yes I empty the toilet but if that's an issue then is worth even going motorhoming? after all we will all have to at some point.

Great for touring?
As said, only for the touring YOU do. A couple of years ago, I went through some very rural France with another member following in a small RV and a toad. I had to think very very carefully about the route and change it on occasions as they could not make the original planned route due to height, weight and width restrictions. So YOU must do different touring to ME.

Great for MPG.
dress it up any way you like, an RV will cost more. a lot more in some not as much more in others but MORE for sure.

as for Value for money? probably they are, but then you dont care about money because your used to it costing so much more to run anyway.

Great for appearance :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: yours is Larry for sure, but don't get confusing poor wasp, remember Roadrunner's allegro? need I say more.

So Wasp, drop Jim an email, he's had a few and loves his smaller van. But don't listen to the Hutchies, an RV works for them but there's anout 20 of them that need to live in it.
Most who have them are or have been coach/wagon drivers and so driving don't bother them.

I regret, not getting one when the kids were smaller and we needed that extra space at meets etc, but could not think of anything worse to fit in to the type of camping that I now do.

But each to their own, not one is better than the other in the same way a caravan is no better than a motorhome if you use it differently.

The only tale of caution I would offer is that buying is easy, selling and not losing money is incredibly difficult. :Cool:

I would agree if that is what had happened, whats more I would not have bothered to post on it Paul.........but this has been a bit of lght hearted banter........we all buy what we want and can afford.....and some times what we want is cheaper than we can afford... :thumb:

All the best Rick

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its all Hypothetical anyways cos Wasps avin a RV end of
Robs booked his Euro in for a service and aint getting it back till i see an American on his drive:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We dont have this problem on RVOC
when a member posts "I'm thinking of getting a Euro"
Brian Just deletes it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best thing you can get is a mini artic . gets just about any place a vehicle of its size can go. carries three m.bikes sometimes and as a seven seater truck as a car if you drop the trailer.
in fact i think it goes where many motor homes or rv,s fear to go. lots of room to play with yet is only as high as a small euro camper and narrower than most . yet only a litle bit longer than most euro campers . far smaller than many rv,s .
thats put the cat amongst the pigeons .
oh i forgot drives very simolar to a vw camper . but isnt.

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
best thing you can get is a mini artic . gets just about any place a vehicle of its size can go. carries three m.bikes sometimes and as a seven seater truck as a car if you drop the trailer.
in fact i think it goes where many motor homes or rv,s fear to go. lots of room to play with yet is only as high as a small euro camper and narrower than most . yet only a litle bit longer than most euro campers . far smaller than many rv,s .
thats put the cat amongst the pigeons .
oh i forgot drives very simolar to a vw camper . but isnt.

but doe's it make toast? ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
well i've been so shamed by this thread i decided to give my RV to a charity shop and buy a 'Bambi' so i can go anywhere......even along footpaths.

I'll even be able to pull into bus shelters for the night if the roof leaks and it rains a lot.

I will need my legs surgically shortened though...just to get them under the steering wheel and i'll need to lose a few inch's of 'spare tyre' so there's room for Shirl to sit in the passenger seat instead of crouching in the back.

toilet, no problem, wont need one....i'll have pi$$ed myself dry with laughter just trying to get in the thing.

fuel shouldn't be a problem either, as before i give the RV away i'll drain the 70 gallon fuel tank....that should keep the Bambi going for quite a few years.

of course, i'll also save money on breakdown cover as i will be able to pick it up and carry it to a garage.

sleeping arrangements could pose a problem though....unless i buy Shirl a nice tent and sleeping bag.

new tyres !!!! no problem, there are plenty of bicycle shops around

PLEASE....will someone wake me from this nightmare :winky::roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi not quite on its own. but as a lovely full size lpg cooker so yes it can. far better than a big m,home and more manouverable as well. and cheaper on ferries . thats even than much smaller m,homes as well.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa bet you wish you had a camper like mine dont you. hee hee. if you get the bambi .i can almost put it in the garage and not know iyts there . ha ha . :thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Why is this being discussed on here. Whats wrong with RVOC or do RV owners just wannabee owners of proper motorhomes?

Seriously, RV's were designed for the US market, European (and the far superior Motorhomes) were designed for Europe?

As far as I can see some Yank passion wagons have very little to offer above the European model. Some 30 foot monstrosities don't even have a fixed bed, the only benefit that I can see is you don't have to go and dump the pooh pooh as often. Oh yes they are power hungry and the number of times you need to turn on the AC in the UK is few and far between and having to carry all that extra weight and the power required to run it is not as far as I can see sensible.

If you want one, fine, buy it, just dont moan about its running costs, lack of parking, crap on soft ground, noisy and expensive spare parts.

Right thats my view.

Back to the bunker.

Lastly, you need a Confederate Flag, painting of Native American Indians and wolves painted on it and all your RV mates are called Bubba, Billy Ray, Jeffereson or Randy or someother rednack name. Oh yes chewing tobacco is mandatory and endless repeats of Dukes of Hazzard and the mandatory Cowboy hat..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it can also be said all m.homes and caravans are rv,s .
not all american rv,s though. but does it really matter.
i,m sure we are all mates really.
i feel closer to the 5ers ,but mini artics rule .hee hee

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Now then ShiftZZ no being grumpy
a question was asked a couple of replies were given and then the debate started with those that have never owned and those that have so no doubt Wasp is no more enlightened now than he was before

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back