Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Hi all, having had a moho and toad for a few years and now sold both (due to covid we have grown a bit larger) we need something a bit bigger, been searching for an RV lhd, as we want to spend more time in Europe (when we can) or 5th wheeler, both wife and I are ex coach drivers so size isn't an issue (some say size is important) can anyone offer info or advice, or has anyone got either for sale, up to 30 foot

OP
OP
Popty

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Hi bluemooner, what make/model is your 5er, and what tow truck do you use, the more info l have will help decide which way to go, 5er or rv

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Popty

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Parking is not a problem as our drive is best part of 45/50 foot long, so rv/5er, tow truck and family car will fit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Hi bluemooner, what make/model is your 5er, and what tow truck do you use, the more info l have will help decide which way to go, 5er or rv
We have a Dreamseeker made by the Fifth wheel company in wales and tow it with a 3.0 V6 Navara had it five and a half years now

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Having owned both in the past, my short answer would be if you want to tour, then go for an RV. If you want to be more static longer term, and on a fully serviced pitch geared up for American sewage, get a fifth wheel, with the tow vehicle for easy ish transport.

My RV was about 34’ and went most places.
My fiver was a 36’ triple slide, matched to a 20’ Dodge Ram 3500 dually, a frightening thing to drive and manoever😉

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I've had both, and to be honest, I am still not sure which was the best.

The 30ft 5th wheel trailer was superb for staying on sites for a while, leaving the Dodge Ram for 'driveabouts', whereas the 31ft Winnebago A class was superb for long term touring. The slideouts on both give so much more living space.

The A class was warmer when coming to the end of a days driving, and more of an instant set up, when parked. Push button for hydraulic levellers, push button for slide, done.

The 5er had much more space when set up, due to larger slides. 5 to 10 mins to set up, and then it was like a bungalow, with the benefit of a vehicle to go shopping etc;

Never a problem with either on the continent, but, some aires don't do 5ers, and some campgrounds don't either.

If you do go down the 5er route, make sure the tow truck is man enough to pull the trailer.

I would have either of them again.

Craig

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Popty

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Hi everyone, many thanks for all your inputs, I am still not decided on the best option but leaning towards the 5er, l have plenty of parking space for either, but 5er is a nose in front, just got to find one, my 1st choice would be the Celtic Rambler, it's 28ft and built in UK and a Nissan Navara pick up , but can't afford new, so I'll keep looking for the right deals to come along.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back