Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Bishops Stortford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
SInce 1985
Years ago we use to have a Swift Kontiki motorhome and spent years touring europe until the 2 kids had grown up

3 years ago my disabled wife with rhumatoid Arthritus had a major operation (full hindquarter - whole leg aputated) which has now made her fully wheelchair bound, and makes it differrcult to transfer into a car, unless its wheel chair adapted...

So were now looking at getting back into the Motorhome/RV scene, looking at disabled adapted RV's or 5th Wheels with slideouts etc , so we can retire and spend the next 5 years following motogp around europe, visting countries/cities etc LIVING FULL TIMEin the RV etc .

The dilemma we have is the following and would like some advise/suggestions/experiences etc

RV (petrol/lpg) around 30ft disable adapted with slideouts and electric side/lift entrance, harness rail front/back etc , roll in wetroom etc similiar to this Thor Ace https://www.coachbuiltgb.co.uk/coachbuilt-gb-wheelchair-accessible

Pro's - wife can move from front back in wheel chair onto bed/toilet etc while i'm driving , plenty of room and facilities and i can see/hear what she needs etc.

Con's - Main issue is when on a site - how to get to other places from site like town/beach/sightseeing without car ? - we maybe able to hire a car and take small collapsable electric wheelchair or manual whel chair and board transfer into hire car - towing a small car + 30ft RV may cause site issues etc ..
We could also find twon that have coach parks - like being used for coach tours/sightseeing etc and park up in there for a day out and use electric wheelchair to sightsee etc and then go back to the site..

5th Wheel around 25-30ft disable adapted with slideouts and electric side/lift entrance, harness rail front/back etc , roll in wetroom etc

Pro's - When on site - can used wheelchairr adapted pickup to drive to town/sightseeing etc

Con's - Main issue is wife confined to wheelchair while driving, comfort issues over long drive - basically the opposite of the RV's Pros.
Obviously we could stop an dget her back into teh 5th wheel for a break etc .. also reversing - no rear view cameras etc...

So has anybody have any advise pro's/con's , experiences that you could pass on and help make a decison on which way to go , then i can start looking at differnet vehicles available for adaptation etc

Regards

Paul

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For living in I would have thought an adapted RV would be the most convenient.

You could tow a vehicle with an RV. If you plan ahead where you are going and check there are suitable spaces it can - and is - done.
Alternatively, as you suggest, use taxis or hire a car. Or simply visit places en route in the RV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Most fifth wheels have the bedroom at the front, up steps, the bathroom is up there too. Not saying that all of them are that way, ours had a sofa bed in the lounge, but would be a faff making that up at night.

I would say RV is the way to go. But moving about whilst in motion, you would be breaking the law. Not saying people don't do it, but you wouldn't want to get caught without being belted in,

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If you have a motorbike license which I would imagine is very likely, then how about going the RV route and a motorcycle with an adapted sidecar to take your wife's wheelchair.

sidecar.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Spud312R

Spud312R

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Bishops Stortford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
SInce 1985
Lol that’s cool - never seen one like that before
I will be taking a motorcycle as I intend to use it on track a week or so before The MotoGP racing starts

RV is the way to go then and we can always use public transport - Bus - I assume most in Europe have ramp/space for wheelchairs ?
Else taxi and foldup wheelchair and transfer to taxi or car rental !?

OP
OP
Spud312R

Spud312R

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Bishops Stortford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
SInce 1985
Most fifth wheels have the bedroom at the front, up steps, the bathroom is up there too. Not saying that all of them are that way, ours had a sofa bed in the lounge, but would be a faff making that up at night.

I would say RV is the way to go. But moving about whilst in motion, you would be breaking the law. Not saying people don't do it, but you wouldn't want to get caught without being belted in,
Yep moving about is naughty but I can pull over - move the wife etc and the drive again maybe get a seatbelt arrangement for the rear bed !?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back