RV mechanical engineers{can anybody help} (1 Viewer)

T

travelling man

Deleted User
Hi I am looking for a engineer who can swap a diesel engine for a petrol engine in an American motorhome. I am trying to get a totally dead {hole in side of block}454 chevy petrol engine replaced with a 6.2 chevy diesel engine.I have all the componets i.e a doner vehicle. In the U.S. it does not seem to much of a problem.Have spent time checking U.S sites for information on this operation plenty of info.. Alas in the U.K it seems near impossible to find anyone who is capable of this operation.What happened to our great engineering nation.Does anybody out there know of a garage or mechanic who could do this.Motorhome is in Somerset at present but can get it moved.Any help would be much appreciated. I can be contacted at {normanmills@tiscali.co.uk}thanks for your time Norman

texastaffy

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Try Steve Griffiths Anglo American RV in Newport South Wales. I know he's capable but wether he wants to or not can't say!!!!

Eric

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Alas, I don't anybody on your side of the pond that would do it. A number of years ago, a friend had his boat converted to diesel. Cost him 100,000 quid, but it was two engines and a generator, and he didn't have any of the stuff.

I have all the componets....

For my benefit and that of others, any chance you could list what those components are? Or at least the major ones besides the engine and transmission. TIA.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Alas, I don't anybody on your side of the pond that would do it. A number of years ago, a friend had his boat converted to diesel. Cost him 100,000 quid, but it was two engines and a generator, and he didn't have any of the stuff.

For my benefit and that of others, any chance you could list what those components are? Or at least the major ones besides the engine and transmission. TIA.
I too would be interested in this list, as from past experience of just such transplants the person requesting the work has little or no idea of what is actually involved, apart from having the donor vehicle, and assuming its just a question of swapping everything over, have you coincided the suitability of the receiving vehicle being suitable,and possible fabrication reqd, ie chassis widths,braking system, engine and transmission, exhaust and pump mounting points, electrical harnesses, fuel tanks,radiators, dash board and clocks etc etc
given todays labour costs I would suggest there are many more mechanics out there capable,than there are people willing to pay the going rate £6000 +with a contingency budget of £2000, still interested, and that is just an educated guess:Eeek:
Geo

OP
OP
T

travelling man

Deleted User
components

It is a complete vehicle a chevy P30 diesel van, mine is a chevy P30 petrol motorhome.The engine will fit mountings the same exhaust not to disimilar.The three problems are [1]the original petrol engine has a brake on the drive train,this can be overcome with a vg splitter gear with brake.This is an of the shelf component from the States can be shipped no problem.
Problem [2]diesel engine has E.C.U. and a P.C.M which needs to be harnessed to motorhome.Problem[3] is a mechanical engineer who can do it

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It is a complete vehicle a chevy P30 diesel van, mine is a chevy P30 petrol motorhome.The engine will fit mountings the same
exhaust not to disimilar.The three problems are [1]the original petrol engine has a brake on the drive train,this can be overcome with a vg splitter gear with brake.This is an of the shelf component from the States can be shipped no problem.
Problem [2]diesel engine has E.C.U. and a P.C.M which needs to be harnessed to motorhome.Problem[3] is a mechanical engineer who can do it
i have highlighted some words from your post, i will attempt to translate possible(read that as usual) problems
Van versus Motorhome there is every likely hood that major chassis mounting points have been removed or changed to suit the Motorhome and unless the fuel tank is identical the problems in this area are common, if you choose to retain the petrol tank and use it for diesel,fuel return and delivery system may req changing internally, sensor units are may not be interchangeable
The exhaust is not dissimilar, read that as its different and will req re fabricating
Can be over come, really??? you know or suspect/been told it can, have you seen it done??
Has ECU and PCM that needs to be harnessed, Read as, req complete dashboard/instrument replacement and harness swop
and lastly
mechanic who CAN, read as WANTS to under take the work AND do it cheap
My advise is DONT DO IT
This is not intended as a smart a**e reply, mearly to try and point out pitfalls and unexpected expensive work that the uninitiated may not have considered
Geo

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi had a word tonight with my bro who works for a garage that does odd stuff now and then, he said they wouldn't quote for a job like that, you would just pay how ever long it took at £50 per hour.

Olley

Averhamdave

Free Member
Oct 19, 2008
Nr Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
6 years (25yrs tugging!)
Geo,

I like it! There speaks a wise man who has been in these situations before.

"Exhaust is not dissimilar"! Sums it up really.

Olley's suggestion will be the best you'll find - "£50 an hour, it takes what it takes and the clock starts ticking when I open my tool box".

Be cheaper to buy another 450 petrol which can be had for very little, fit that, sell the vehicle and buy a diesel. - Or keep it - you'll buy a lot of petrol for the cost of the conversion.

Geo, or anyone else - do the diesel RVs' do much more to the gallon than the petrols?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Dave I get around 9.5-10 gallon on petrol, Jim (scotjimland) who's a similar weight (8.5-9 tons) gets about 15mpg, I think I remember him saying.

Olley

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Nobody has mentioned fuel tank and lines, or a host of other things.

Be cheaper to buy another 450 petrol which can be had for very little, fit that, sell the vehicle and buy a diesel. - Or keep it - you'll buy a lot of petrol for the cost of the conversion.

I was going to suggest buying a petrol engine as the best option, but didn't because of the "I have all the components" comment. This would still appear to be the best option.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Spoken to a couple of friends of mine in the motor trade and 1 on the commercial side and they all said the same thing

"Wouldnt touch it with a barge pole" :Eeek:

Think your going to struggle with it im afraid :whatthe:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Conversion Cost/Benefit

Hi

Some thoughts, and a few figures.

Assuming the Diesel to be fitted is Either (or similar to) the 6.2 (11.23mpg) Chevvy or the 6.5TD ( 12.3MPG) as I`ve run them both and have a rolling "log" of fuel consumption. and we are not talking "modern" replacement engines here. so for clarity I`ve assumed 12MPG average (nice round figure):-

Pence/Mile MPG P/Litre Ltr/Gall Miles/Litre
Petrol Engine R-V £0.45 8 0.99 3.64 2.2
Diesel Engine R-V £0.33 12 1.09 3.64 3.3
LPG/Petrol) Equivalent £0.27 7.2 0.54 3.64 1.98

Cost of Petrol/Diesel Conv; £5,000.00 based on a labour rate of £50-00 per hour and a projected 100 Man/Hours of work. this is equal to: 11111.1 MIles worth Of Petrol Or 15137.61 Miles worth of Diesel Or 18333.33 Miles worth of gas

JUST the gearbox Replacement logged 33 Labour Hrs on My R-V so 100 hours is probably (very) conservative.
If you look at the figures then converting to Diesel would produce slightly over 1/3rd benefit BUT how long would it take to do 11000+miles in an R-V (its at LEAST 3 round trips to spain) BEFORE ANY Benefit is produced (Breakeven).

I feel its one of those Cost/benefit projects that look ok ,unitil you "crunch the numbers", the bottom line being you would have to be prepared to keep the vehicle for a long, long, time to get the full benefit.

regards

Pete

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi the £50 per hour labour rate I quoted is very conservative, the local Mercedes garage charges over £100

Olley

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi the £50 per hour labour rate I quoted is very conservative, the local Mercedes garage charges over £100

Olley
And youll be pleased to know that our local Merc dealer offers free collection and delivery when you have a full service £924 for oil,fillter and plugs, brake work charged extra:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
for that sort of dosh i would throw in free shoes, pads, discs and labour:Doh:
Geo

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
stick another petrol in it or swap the van for a desiel one :whatthe:

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Engine Swap

Hi I am looking for a engineer who can swap a diesel engine for a petrol engine in an American motorhome. I am trying to get a totally dead {hole in side of block}454 chevy petrol engine replaced with a 6.2 chevy diesel engine.I have all the componets i.e a doner vehicle. In the U.S. it does not seem to much of a problem.Have spent time checking U.S sites for information on this operation plenty of info.. Alas in the U.K it seems near impossible to find anyone who is capable of this operation.What happened to our great engineering nation.Does anybody out there know of a garage or mechanic who could do this.Motorhome is in Somerset at present but can get it moved.Any help would be much appreciated. I can be contacted at {normanmills@tiscali.co.uk}thanks for your time Norman

This may not directly answer your question, but it may be worth saying. In the past we have machined and welded cylinder blocks that have thrown a rod, also welded a crankshaft that was broken on the centre main journal on a Rolls Royce Eagle Diesel engine. In case you wonder if it lasts, it lasted us 4 years in a double deck service bus that was in use 16 hours a day, and to my knowledge it is still running in Cornwall with another operator. We also had a fleet of LDV's with the Land Rover Diesel, they had a habit of throwing rods through the block, these were also patched and welded.........Never went again afterwards. It may seem an odd thing to do if you have never heard of it before, however I can assure you it works perfectly. With the savings you would make in not doing all the mods required, you could then have a GOOD LPG conversion and kiss goodbye to the LEZ problem and the high cost of Diesel. If you need any more information on doing this work, you are welcome to call me of course. Kindest regards, Simon

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Having once spent five days swapping a dead 2.3 petrol for a 2.3 diesel motor in a Bedford CF I'd say either put another petrol in it or scrap it!! It is a hateful job and you won't know all of the bits that need to be swapped until you get to them. Wiring in the ECU for the diesel into a vehicle not designed for it requires a very highly skilled auto electrical technician. I'd agree with GEO's cost estimate, expect four figures:Eeek:!

D.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi, the cheapest option would be to repair/replace the petrol engine and have an LPG conversion. LPG currently 46p per litre

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back