Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all,
we are thinking of swapping out 8.3 mtr Tag axle MH for a 28ft A class RV, as Sue wants to do some of the driving and she has to drive a full auto, we have tried a comfortmatic but she does not like it
Are there any problems with using an RV in the UK, looking at a 6.8 ltr diesel 6.5 ton gross.
Thanks,
Joe

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm sure there'll be replies from those who have one but my comment is Why? It seems like a dramatic step if the only reason is to obtain an auto - there are some excellent autos from Mercedes and Fiat has recently introduced one.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can you not get a European van that’s full auto.

Some of the Merc base vehicles are 3lt with full auto.

Do t know how big they are though.

Just a thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks, but most of the Merc's look to be the Sprintshift which i am led to believe is worse that the Comfortmatic, but i will be corrected,
Also budget is an issue and all the RV's seem to be Auto, whereas very few UK ones pre 2008 seem to be, also we need the fixed bed option
Early Auototrail Cheyenne 840D would be ideal, but a bit like rocking horse poo at moment!!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Don’t be put off by the sprint shift.
Look after it as per the maintenance schedule and it will be ok.

Merc do auto with the 3lt I believe.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our first RV was a 28ft Tiffin Allegro with 6.5l V8 Chevy diesel full auto, we toured U.K. and across to France and Belgium with no problems.
The Chevy was front mounted with rear double wheels and not a quiet engine and from memory around 15 mpg but with the inside space that the RV width of body gives you.
It will of course be LHD and with max legal body width takes awhile to get used to .
Good luck.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi joe,
We have had one for the last 12 years a 8.3 m long, 6.5 ton it’s a C class running on lpg (no problem finding lpg) used all over the U.K. and in the eu, again without any problems if can get what you want go for it, wouldn’t swap ours for anything else.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We have a Winnebago Brave, 9.25 tons and 31 feet long. The problems are as you would expect size, but its no bigger than the most lorries (not artics) and they seem to go everywhere, pitches can be a problem but with an 8.3m tag you must have encountered that sometimes already.
When driving the width is more of a concern than length, if its an A class you are the widest vehicle on the road at 102" plus mirrors, and at over £300 for us per mirror it teaches you to be careful.
The best thing are slides, we have two, with them out its like a small bungalow. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
J
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
We have a Winnebago Brave, 9.25 tons and 31 feet long. The problems are as you would expect size, but its no bigger than the most lorries (not artics) and they seem to go everywhere, pitches can be a problem but with an 8.3m tag you must have encountered that sometimes already.
When driving the width is more of a concern than length, if its an A class you are the widest vehicle on the road at 102" plus mirrors, and at over £300 for us per mirror it teaches you to be careful.
The best thing are slides, we have two, with them out its like a small bungalow. ::bigsmile:
Thanks, we are looking at a 28 ft, Damon Challenger, so length not an issue, now need to look at insurances, who do you use please
Joe

OP
OP
J
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Hi joe,
We have had one for the last 12 years a 8.3 m long, 6.5 ton it’s a C class running on lpg (no problem finding lpg) used all over the U.K. and in the eu, again without any problems if can get what you want go for it, wouldn’t swap ours for anything else.
Thanks, great news, will go for it we think

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Length will rarely catch you out, it just follows you around. It's the width that will have you breathing in now and again. :D. Signature have some RVs that are narrower that the normal 101 inches and are well worth investigating. (y)

OP
OP
J
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Our first RV was a 28ft Tiffin Allegro with 6.5l V8 Chevy diesel full auto, we toured U.K. and across to France and Belgium with no problems.
The Chevy was front mounted with rear double wheels and not a quiet engine and from memory around 15 mpg but with the inside space that the RV width of body gives you.
It will of course be LHD and with max legal body width takes awhile to get used to .
Good luck.
28Ft Damon Challenger is what we are looking at, need to get a test drive for Sue

OP
OP
J
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Length will rarely catch you out, it just follows you around. It's the width that will have you breathing in now and again. :D. Signature have some RVs that are narrower that the normal 101 inches and are well worth investigating. (y)
thanks Jim

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We have a 30ft B+ Coachmen Concord, LPG powered, and it runs like a sewing machine. The room available on site is like a bungalow, when all 3 slides are out. Not too wide, not too long, just about right IMO.

Craig

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We have been insured by NFU and Comfort with Safeguard at the moment, windscreen cover is something to check for, some limit the cover, we have a split screen and it cost Comfort over £2500 to replace one.
I disagree with Jim, length can be a problem because of overhang, I have 11' (just checked) from the centre of my rear wheels to the back of the RV, if you are close to anything and you need to turn sharply you need to very closely watch the rear in your mirrors. When we first got it I was in the concrete barriers leading up to the tolls in France, turned to move the mirrors away from a stanchion and scraped the back on the concrete, £500 to respray two locker doors.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Our ‘87 Allegro. which we kept for almost 20 years, always had a problem driving up ramps or a kerb. I don’t know if that is still a problem with more recent autos. Also if you’re considering an RV for the first time be aware that although the large grey and black tanks are a major advantage in some respects, ground level dump points aren’t that common.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Mercedes indeed do a 3 litre (V6 diesel) with full torque converter auto box.
For the size of vehicle you are looking for you'd be better of buying in Europe, probably Germany they will of course be left hand drive but so will the American ones.
Have a look on <Link Removed> good selection of adverts, import into UK not too much of a problem and plenty of quality German built vans from the likes of Hymer, Euramobil, Frankia, N&B, Concorde, etc.

Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
We are currently up in the wilds of Scotland - near Ballater- we are 37’ diesel pusher with a scooter on the back. 8.3l Cummings with an Allison auto box, 4 slides & as Olley says it’s a bit like a bungalow. Average fuel consumption is between 10 & 11 doesn’t seem to vary much from that - apart from downhill where its abut 150 to the gallon- Tax is £156 & insurance with NFU is £450.
It’s very much what appeals to you & yours, some feel intimidated by a large vehicle & of course some just dislike them.
You do get used to both the width & the length and a focus on that offside mirror is very important. On of ours was taken out by a chap in a European motorhome Whilst we were parked. It cost him £1200 for the mirror & arm plus he told me later he was having to get a new side in his bus.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
11mtr Damon Challenger would still have it now if it were not for retiring and giving up large forecourt parking.
been every where south off Newcastle France, Spain, Morocco Sahara Desert included.
Every time i heard how do you manage in the UK, I would say I stick to Refuse Lorry routes, do you get those up your street?
Then you see the light come on AHhhh yes i suppose you can get every where, almost :rofl:
GO FOR IT YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A BIGGER ONE LATER :love::love::love::love:
And the worst insult i ever got was, "How many Horses can you get in there" :Eeek:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Of course overhang can be a problem, but length is rarely an issue. Length doesn't always mean massive overhang.

It very often does on Rv's though Jim to decrease the turning circle, mine like many aren't built to the UK's 60% regulation, mine is 11' on a 15' wheelbase thats 2' more than is legal. Its something to watch out for when driving an RV. I also get a lot of tail wagging the dog effect.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I remember one year going to Stratford, road closures meant a detour through Stratford Town center on market day.
any who knows Stratford will know the very sharp left turn in the road just after a crossing.
when i turned left there my rear overhang cleared a stack of 4 Boxes of Oranges (full) From the market stand on the opposite side of the road.
Free Oranges for all that day.
And before you ask no i didnt I played ignorance despite a perfect rear view of what Id done :doh:
If the stall holder looks in im sorry it was unavoidable 36ft RV = eyes front sides and back at all times so there is bound to be three blind spots for every good view

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
One of the best Euro makes, Niesmann at 28ft obviously meets the 60% overhang, (which does make a big difference) Its also important to have a short wheel base as this determines your turning circle.
I.E the same overhaul length daily/merc will have a much longer wheel base than a truck chassis.
Automatic,s Full torque converter autos After 2012 the RV market was equipped with electronic Allison Autos, these are unique, in have a Torque converter that multiplys engine out put. as well as Lock up facility.
This make a six speeder into a nine speed.
Mine has this Auto and returned 25 mpg Avg. @ 7.5 ton Its 2.35 meters wide
The wife loves how it drives both up hill and more importantly down hill.

Attachments

• IMG_3792.jpg
    IMG_3792.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 41

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread