RV Forum...what happened? (1 Viewer)

C

Cricketdaddy

Deleted User
Anybody hear any news from Tom, Gary, Ron or any of the boys and girls at RV Forum.net? It has been offline since yesterday.

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Dave

Tom is having to switch to another server so it will be offline for 1, 2 or maybe 3 days.

He's asked that people keep checking back and assures eveyone he is working on it.

There is a kind of emergency network for messages from the forum at Yahoo Group "RoamingFriends"

If you sign up to that and the forum goes down you can keep up with what's going on.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

Cricketdaddy

Deleted User
Thanks, Paul! I figured it was something like that. Not a problem to wait a couple of days except when I'm at work, as I am now. I have nothing to do but WORK!:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Its still off I've just been trying to post.
I need some advice on a car now.
Gotta say for anyone considering going to the states this is a great forum and the people are really helpfull. Also the link on there to NADA is a must.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
We moved to a new host and a VPS solution instead of shared hosting. Hope to be back on the air today, if the name server and IP address propagation completes. Meanwhile, the old host isn't cooperating; Unplugged us and won't even let me put up a "back soon" sign. Nice way to treat customers, but I've been told the practice is rampant in the industry.

The new solution should be more reliable and consistently faster than the old place. The founder/CEO is gone, suggesting they might have been acquired and have become a sardine factory - overselling, cramming 'em in and running out of resources. It sure would explain some stuff we've seen recently.

Dave - sorry, you must not be on someone's email list. Several staffers have been letting folks know what happened. I'll send you a PM with my email address. When we're up, I'll post a state of the union message so folks can read the long or short version of the story.

BTW Paul is right about our backup communication route. Not everyone is aware of it, and some find it clunky. But it does serve as a useful backup. You have to go to Yahoo, join the group, then Gary has to unlock the door. Most folks use the email option after they've joined, rather than the web interface.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Ror,

Can I help with the tow car question?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Tom

Thanks for the info I'm sure the site will be great when it's up and running again.

I wanted to know if anyone tows a Nissan XTerra. I've checked the Dinghy list and see they are towable in manual format which suits me. I've read the reviews on this vehicle and they are all good and there are some good low mileage deals about. I've looked at new vehicles while I was in the states last week but I would prefer a good used if I can as I would rather someone else took the hit on a new one, means a smaller loss when I come to sell.

I visited Gator Ford in Tampa (opposite Lazydays) last week but got nothing but bull and a pack of lies from the salesman I think he thought I'd just got off a banana boat.

Also I need some advise on towing and braking systems such as which system to use and who to get to fit it.

Thanks for the offer hope you can help.

Jan 13, 2008
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2008
Dinghy Towing

The Motorhome Magazine (a US publication) has a Dinghy supplement this month (Jan 08) which gives details on cars and braking systems as well as useful info on chassis, do'es & don'ts etc.
Thanks for the info on RV Forum. as I hadn't visited it for a while and I was wooried it had completely disapeared.
Am I right in thinking that if I buy in the US and stay there for a year I will not have to pay VAT when I bring my RV back?
Andy

Dreaming the dream, not living it .....yet!http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/smile.gif
:Smile:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Nah, we've been around too long to go anywhere. I believe it's 14 years in a forum format and more elsewhere before that (maybe 20 years total). Some of the folks have been with us from the beginning.

Good point re the MH magazine feature. I'd forgotten I'd seen it, but I'm not in the market for a car, so I wasn't thinking about it.

Paul and John White are the experrs on the time duration to avoid tax. IIRC Paul had a letter from HM inspector of taxes. So it's official.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Well done RV forums Admin:thumb:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Ror,

I know several folks who tow (or have towed) the Xterra. But they'll answer more specifically.

One caveat for anyone reading lists of "towable cars" ... Don't assume that the answer is the same for every model year of the same car. As an example, Honda used to have a procedure in their owners manual on how the car could be towed behind a motorhome (you had to stop every couple of hundred miles, start the engine, and run the transmission through a specific sequence). Newer Honda's have a statement in the owners manual saying they can't be towed.

It's possible the only thing that changed was Honda's concern about warranty failures, but folks have reported similar things with some other makes/models of cars. Similarly, the "towing procedure" changes between years in a few cases, although that's rare.

Someone who is looking at a car, either new or used, and thinking of buying, take a look in the owners manual for a towing procedure. That might be the best answer you get.

For the folks who aren't aware of the what/why of towing restrictions, the simple answer is that automatic transmissions require continuous lubrication when the wheels are turning, irrespective whether the car is being driven or towed. There are other considerations, but that's the major one. Most manual (aka "stick shift") cars can be towed, but again check before towing. Many, but not all, 4-wheel drive vehicles with a transfer case can be towed; The procedure varies between manufacturers, but it usually requires putting the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in park, and unlocking the steering wheel.

Again, this varies. For example, our Chevy Suburban (and the smaller Envoy and Tahoe) don't have a mechanical lock on the steering, so I can remove the ignition key and lock the door before towing.

A word to the wise: Before driving off with your car in tow, be sure to double check the position of the transmission/transfer case, and make sure the parking brake (aka hand brake) is off. We were 50 miles out of Salt Lake City with a brand new Suburban when I said to Chris "Honey, please pull over, because I don't recall taking the parking brake off". (Amerispeak for "oh xxxx, stop right now!") Sure enough, the parking brake was still on.

When I took the car to a Chevy dealer at our next extended stop, sure enough the linings were shot. Fortunately, the Suburban has both disc brakes and drum brakes on the same wheel, the discs being used for stopping and the drums for parking. The dealer ordered the linings and they arrived the following morning and were installed. When I asked for the bill, the service manager said "Covered under warranty; They weren't adjusted correctly at the factory".

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I'm back, after a few days playing Keystone Cops and a weekend afloat for some R&R.

A couple of things I forgot when creating the earlier post about towing a car behind a motorhome, and was reminded when someone responded to Ror's question elsewhere:

• Some vehicles require some modification(s) to be made towable. In some cases, this may be a lube pump (aka oil pump) that keeps the transmission of a from wheel drive automatic lubricated in lieu of the pump normally run off the engine.
  • In the case of the Xterra, like Ror wants to buy, the modification is a shaft disconnect. No, no, you don't need to get out a spanner and crawl under the car; You have a knob inside the car that you pull and this, via a cable, activates the disconnect.

You get a better idea of both the above at Link Removed. Remco is the authority in the U.S. on which vehicles can be towed and what, if any, mods they need.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
In some cases, this may be a lube pump (aka oil pump) that keeps the transmission of a from wheel drive automatic lubricated in lieu of the pump normally run off the engine.

Oops, typo (aka typographical error), but it's too late to change it. I can't type to save my life, but have the uncanny ability to spot typos from a mile away. It used to drive people crazy when they'd walk into my office with a piece of paper in hand and, when they were still 6 feet (2M) away, I'd tell them there were typos in their prized composition.

The above quote should obviously have been:

In some cases, this may be a lube pump (aka oil pump) that keeps the transmission of a front wheel drive automatic lubricated in lieu of the pump normally run off the engine.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Anyone planning to buy a car for towing behind your motorhome should heed the warnings in my earlier messages in this topic. This morning, a fellow Brit visited another forum and was excited that he'd arrived in the U.S. and, while waiting to pick up his motorhome, bought a vehicle to tow behind. Unfortunately, several folks were the bearers of bad news - the vehicle is not towable without modifications.

It's possible that, after contacting Remco, they might have a solution for him, but it won't be cheap.

Another reason for contacting Remco before buying is that some vehicles can't be towed on all 4 wheels with or without modification. I sure hope they have a solution in this case, otherwise it's likely to be a costly mistake.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thats why this is such a good link.
You can also check out previous years models

Link Removed

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Very useful information Tom, most probably worthy of a thread in its own right :winky:

There are more and more Brits heading out to the States to tour a while and DIY import, it could save someone a pain in the butt.....and their wallet! :ROFLMAO:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I agree Linda. Earlier today I started drafting a "clean" version of the information to post in its own thread. But I got distracted by the honey-do list.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Thats why this is such a good link.....

Yes and no Ror. As I cautioned in an earlier message, one shouldn't rely on a magazine (or web site) when making a decision on a toad. A simple printing/typing/publishing error could prove to be a costly mistake for the buyer.

I don't mean to suggest that Motorhome Magazine doesn't publish the information they believe is correct. Their information is a great starting point, but I would want to verify the information before spending money on a vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back