Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
semi-permanent :ROFLMAO: come on John :winky:

:roflmto: Well that's quite true. They are used for Heaters on building sites. Hence semi-permanent. However. In my case. I permanently do NOT have it plugged in unless I am out of Solar/Battery Power. It costs around 5 Euros a month just to have it plugged in on Camping Almafra without ANYTHING being switched on. :Eeek:

M

Martyn & Jayne

Deleted User
Conversions

HI
We have just finished what you are doing, did a year travelling around and then brought our Minnie Winnie back to the uK. We are now off to europe for a bit more.
We have had ours converted for the electrics and all appears to be working well now. If you are looking for some advice, we used Mercury ARV ( Simon Edgecombe) He will be able to give you all the advice you may need, he assisted in the shipping as well They are based in Kent so are handy for the channel as well.
Have fun with the trip and keep all your reciepts and proof of living in the US for your return.
Martyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
HI
We have just finished what you are doing, did a year travelling around and then brought our Minnie Winnie back to the uK. We are now off to europe for a bit more.
We have had ours converted for the electrics and all appears to be working well now. If you are looking for some advice, we used Mercury ARV ( Simon Edgecombe) He will be able to give you all the advice you may need, he assisted in the shipping as well They are based in Kent so are handy for the channel as well.
Have fun with the trip and keep all your reciepts and proof of living in the US for your return.
Martyn

::bigsmile: Hi Martyn & Jayne. The whole idea of using a Transformer to convert for appliances using 110v is to save the cost of between £1500 and £5000 depending on who does the conversion to 240 volts. Not everyone can afford to WASTE that kind of money and have no need of 240 volts. IMH&HO. :winky:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Am I missing something here, a 240v ring main consists of an RCD/distribution box cable and a few sockets or are you adding on the cost of appliences? Cannot see where this £1500-£2000 comes from. I suppose if you add in solar panels, a huge inverter and a bank of batteries it could come to that. It is a job which could be tackled by most of us, after all a motorhome is one big DIY ongoing project unless you are rich enough just to keep chucking money at it. By the way why does no one appear to use wind power?

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Am I missing something here, a 240v ring main consists of an RCD/distribution box cable and a few sockets or are you adding on the cost of appliences? Cannot see where this £1500-£2000 comes from. I suppose if you add in solar panels, a huge inverter and a bank of batteries it could come to that. It is a job which could be tackled by most of us, after all a motorhome is one big DIY ongoing project unless you are rich enough just to keep chucking money at it. By the way why does no one appear to use wind power?

:roflmto: Sorry Wildman. But you do NOT know RV Conversion companies. That's why we have always done it ourselves. :ROFLMAO:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp

To convert most RV's these days you require two transformers which will set you back up to say £600 for the pair then there is the cabling, sockets, RCD etc, then labour! Also usually the tv's will need replacing so it does all mount up!

I did all the conversion on the Monaco myself and the total cost of parts including the two LCD TV's was in excess of £1200!

Regards Pat

Last edited:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Hi
I use a yellow box but it keeps tripping the site supplies. It only does it once and then once reset its ok. Do you have the same problem.

Jim:thumb:

This article may be of interest (our Vacationer used to do it often even with everything turned off (make sure the fridge isn't on auto)).

Link Removed

:Smile:
Keith

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
This article may be of interest (our Vacationer used to do it often even with everything turned off (make sure the fridge isn't on auto)).

Link Removed

Keith

:roflmto: Yes Keith. We are aware that Griffin do conversions. For a PRICE. They have nothing to gain do they?
Myself and others are quite happy for our Site Transformers to save us lot's of dosh. If you choose the CORRECT one? You will NOT have the site tripping problem IMH&HO. :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The site rcd is tripped as a result of inrush current to the transformer. Using a soft start can alleviate this problem. If you are handy with a soldering iron a circuit and construction details can be found below.
Link Removed

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
:roflmto: Yes Keith. We are aware that Griffin do conversions. For a PRICE. They have nothing to gain do they?
Myself and others are quite happy for our Site Transformers to save us lot's of dosh. If you choose the CORRECT one? You will NOT have the site tripping problem IMH&HO. :thumb:

Wasn't recommending Griffin (and have never used them) - simply providing information that others might find useful.

Keith

OP
OP
Pete & Kath Davies

Pete & Kath Davies

Free Member
Feb 27, 2008
Wherever our R.V. is
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Five Years
When I imported mine I used these guys and very pleased with their service.

They did full electrical conversion and they also sorted my MOT out as well.

Motorhome Medics PRESS

This was extremely helpful. Took the RV to Darren at Motorhome Medics and they took care of everything. Had exceptional service. Would recommend to anyone.
Cheers Darren:thumb:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Hi Pete & Kath,

Glad you are back safe, we intend to ship back Aug Sept this year and will visit Motorhome Medics to have a step down transformer installed.

Do you supply the transformer or MM..........which one did they install?

Mick & Pat

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
motorhome medics

When I imported mine I used these guys and very pleased with their service.

They did full electrical conversion and they also sorted my MOT out as well.

Motorhome Medics PRESS

I have bought loads of items from Darren via his ebay site and he seems to know what he is talking about. I would suggest you get him to do it or go to VanBitz (expensive) but are first rate.

I have a V10 6.8 Triton on my Winnibago Aspect and looked at LPG.. around £4k was the price I was quoted from various companies and a week to do it due to the engine size and position in the body. I worked out fuel and found I would only be making a great deal for the next owner and it would take a long time to get the costs back even at the lower price of LPG... do not forget you get less miles to the gallon on LPG.

Have a good road trip and stock up on all those goodies you may need while out there if not ask Darren he will get it imported for you. Parts also recommend State Side Tuning, or Star Spangle spanner or a half dozen others out there.. work and parts are not a problem this side of the pond.

Regards

Bob

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
You have all missed one important point, it is NOT 110 volt, it should be 120 volt, the other thing is they (RV's) work on 60 hertz not UK 50 hertz. stick the words RV brownout into Google and see what it can do. I am always amazed that customers will pay 20/30/50/100 + thousand pounds for an RV, but buy a site transformer off eBay or Screwfix for 30 to 50 pounds!! They are intermittent use boxes meant for building sites where you have to use 110 volt for running drills etc. They are not regulated units, just a simple transformer. Last comment from me, please do not tar all UK dealers with the same brush about charges, we charge £298 or a full engine and chassis service, my wife just paid the local Peugeot dealer £345.00 for a service on her car, so how expensive are we!!

One member wrote on here about running the genset to take the load off before plugging into the site, please do not do that, it WILL trip the site. I leave you with this thought, we fit a earth rod to our conversions, have you got an earth rod that you bang into the ground when you arrive on site?

pkurzok

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
australia
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
lpg

i had lpg conversion done signature motorhome it works great 200 litres about 300 klm range cost about 3750 pound
paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back