Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have a replacement awning fabric to fit and for the life of me I cant think that with enough pairs of hands the old fabric cant be just cut out and the new slid into place top and bottom together without dismantling the awning rails or disturbing the spring tension,
simply by opening the awning to full length and allowing the fabric to sag a little,lock into position and then simply sliding the new one in place whilst its still open, un lock and roll up:thumb:
anyone know better or think of reasons why not
I did, last year remove one side of the roller system, spring and ratchet ,replace and re tension it without fully dismantling the awning both sides as per and contrary to the instructions:RollEyes:
so just may be eh!!!:winky:
Geo

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have new awning material to go on to, oh yes and a dirt skirt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Where'd you get the awning material Geo?

Is it possible to get the rope sewn in to it and cut to size by anyone you know?

I need to look at replacing mine.

BTW Like the avatar John.Hope you ,Dad and Bruno are well.:thumb:

M

Mayurua

Deleted User
Hi Geo
I did the same with mine a few years ago and it worked fine. Its difficult to remember exactly but i might have slid the old one out on one side and at the same time sliding the new one in from other
Dave

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I have a replacement awning fabric to fit and for the life of me I cant think that with enough pairs of hands the old fabric cant be just cut out and the new slid into place top and bottom together without dismantling the awning rails or disturbing the spring tension,
simply by opening the awning to full length and allowing the fabric to sag a little,lock into position and then simply sliding the new one in place whilst its still open, un lock and roll up:thumb:
Geo

Yes, it IS quite possible, especially if all you've got is a ripped fabric.

IF on the other hand,your name is Mr LuckygitZaskar and you have bent awning arms, snapped catches etc due to the fact that if an awning decides to go over the top even my 14 stone aint gonna stop it!!!:Eeek:(luckily I had the good sense to let go when I realised I was 4 to 5 foot off the floor!!!!!, :Eeek:, then no, you have to remove the lot!:Blush:

..........and if you've already done a mechanism asyou say, you wont need me to warn you just how powerfull the return spring is:Eeek::thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Zaskar been there done that at the Lincoln show, and Geo just sat and watched. :Sad:

Said he would have tried to stop it but he was holding his own down at the time, mates hey! all they think of is themselves. ::bigsmile:

Olley

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Where'd you get the awning material Geo?

Is it possible to get the rope sewn in to it and cut to size by anyone you know?

I need to look at replacing mine.

BTW Like the avatar John.Hope you ,Dad and Bruno are well.:thumb:
Ordered the proper replacement from Linda at Stateside Tuning:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks for the replys Guys
looks like Linda wont have too much of a problem then:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Zaskar been there done that at the Lincoln show, and Geo just sat and watched. :Sad:

Said he would have tried to stop it but he was holding his own down at the time, mates hey! all they think of is themselves. ::bigsmile:

Olley
I needed to know what damage could be caused by a flying awning:Eeek:
Now I know:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:
ps you forgot the broken roof vent cover too:Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Ordered the proper replacement from Linda at Stateside Tuning:thumb:
Geo

Blimey that's where my awning material and dirt skirt came from they must be a very good firm:winky::thumb:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Geo

I replaced mine last year and thought like you, there must be an easier way, but in order to slide the new fabric onto the roller I had to remove the roller end cap which meant taking one arm off and releasing the tension.. as per the instructions.. unless yours is different, how can it be done otherwise, there is no groove in the end cap to slide the fabric in ?

Jim

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Good point Jim
in a previous post it said its been done :whatthe: now maybe there are awning that allow this and others that don't like yours,
So if I understand you right, your end cap is covering the fabric groove :Doh:
Plan B.
If I have the same as you could a hole not be drilled in the cap to convert it to the do-able variety:thumb:
Geo, always looking for the easy option:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I dunno Geo.. I looked at that option but decided that if it were a good idea why hadn't A&E made it like that... ? and Garry, who was assisting me, said it was a piece of cake, he had done it before.. this was at Parc Verger last Feb..

It's really not a hard job once you get started.. two people can manage but better with three to feed the awning fabric into the roller and the roof rail .. take great care, the roller end is like a razor.. one slip and the fabric could get torn on it.. I covered the roller end with gaffer tape to prevent it snagging on the sharp edge.

As i recall , yours is a big awning like mine.. .. 20ft ? If so it has TWO tensioners, one at each end of the roller, which both need to be re tensioned .. I used 'mole' grips to hold and turn the shaft

Another 'gumption trap' :Blush:
the new fabric will have long threads hanging from it.. I thought they were just bits of thread that needed trimming... and cut them off.. NOT SO , they go through the seam in order to pull in the new polycords ... I had a hell of a job doing it with them cut off :Blush::Blush:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
anyone know better or think of reasons why not
I did, last year remove one side of the roller system, spring and ratchet ,replace and re tension it without fully dismantling the awning both sides as per and contrary to the instructions:RollEyes:
so just may be eh!!!:winky:
Geo

Thought you was a good knitter and sewer Geo, lost your needle? :Doh:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Awning Fabric fitting

Hi

It can be done by taking the Rafter off one end, You need two or more hands to work the new section back in. Take the Tension OFF the roller springs, there could be a "split-pin" holding the tension, as you unwind count the No of turns, holding the spindle with "mole grips" If the awning is a bit "slack" add another turn when you wind it back on. Jim warned about the sharp ends on the awning roller, I dressed the ends with a small file, I supported the ends of the roller on a stepladder, My 14 year old grandson helped me do it. There will be a cord sewn into the "hem's", as Jim said don't cut it!!, it is used to pull the new awning cords.

Best of Luck!!.

Pete

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks Jim,Pete and the others,its the cheapest way to learn you know, by others mistakes and im taking in all the info I can get.
As you know Jim the tension side of things holds no fears as Ive already had it apart and re tensioned it, I did that by the way single handed:RollEyes: by just undoing the broken side, and it was done in situ, working on Motors as I do,the question arises 30 times a day as to why did they do it like that, and finding a work around to save both my time and customers expence, yes I know im in the motor trade and supose to make as much as I can from every customer and fail every Mot regardless, but hey I never did conform to the norm,:ROFLMAO:
No I think it has more to do with them not having the need to replace fabrics themselves, they have them built from new and an accsess hole in an end cap is another machining operation times 5 million,-------you get the idea,
I would bet a small fortune that every man jack on here has improoved or made simpler a product or operation, at one time or another, and why is he able to do that?
Because the designers and builders do not ask for imput from the end users----EVER
PlanB will be studied before commiting to Plan C.
Plan C by the way is to fit RRs first, to see what cock ups we make,then onto mine:thumb:
Geo

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
hey geo, if all else fails there is always your good old trustworthy gaffa tape:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
awning

hi geo. i had to fit a new awning cover to my fifth wheel a few years ago when i was living in it ,i came home to find it had ripped to bits in the wind one windy winters day,i had a new one made out of lorry side sheet material (very heavy duty) i did not have to dismantle the awning to fit it ,it slid in from the back end (not particularly easy ,but doable) but i had to wind the bottom roller by hand and a big pair of stillsons or pipe grips to get the right tension to enable it to roll itself up ,i think this took a couple of goes to get it right. be very carefull when winding the roller ,if you let it go it it could HURT.:thumb:

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Geo

Did mine last year , was not as hard as it looked but have at least two pairs of hands to do it. Also if it helps I found that to lock the roller with a split as advised was a bit of a fiddle. So what I did was cut up a metal coat hanger into about 8" lengths and pocked that through the hole and bent ends round, much easier and held it fine. To release the tension when the roller is removed from the arm I just used some mole grips on the end while someone else held the roller. Putting it back the same method worked fine. Having said that I will have to have another go at the tension as I did not quite put enough back in.

If you need a hand let me know only just down the road from you.

Whole thing only took a couple of hours.

Lampie

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
No chance there with mine then....:Doh:

She's 30 years old this year....The RV That is.
:ROFLMAO:

Will have look for a company to custom supply.

What MAKE is your awning? some of them havn't changed in donkeys years?

and the Worksheets for fiesta awnings are on th internet as pdf files i beleive?

try:- Link Removed
If its an A&E awning, they are now part of dometic, try e-mail with model data to :- CustomerSupportCenter@DometicUSA.com

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What MAKE is your awning? some of them havn't changed in donkeys years?

and the Worksheets for fiesta awnings are on th internet as pdf files i beleive?

try:- Link Removed
If its an A&E awning, they are now part of dometic, try e-mail with model data to :- CustomerSupportCenter@DometicUSA.com

Pete
Thanks for the links Pete
I got a download for mine from Linda at Stateside:thumb:
Trouble is they want to do it the easy way and take every thing off and fully strip the Awning:Eeek:
I want to do it the hard way:thumb:
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back