RV 7.5 ton Mechanic and MOT needed Hertfordshire (2 Viewers)

Emmac0023

Free Member
Jul 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All,
We are full-time in one location in our RV and are close to running out of LPG!
So need to get an MOT to get out and fill up.
As it is our home we really need it to pass, someone has said that it could be held until fixed if any issues come up. Any suggestions or recommendations for mechanics or MOT centres in Hertfordshire??
One more question if I may...does anyone know of a company that would deliver LPG to the vehicle? I know homes have it delivered and wonder if that would be an alternative?
Any help gratefully received!

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Do you have a bbq point on your van if you do you can fit a standard lpg bottle to the van and run the gas of the bbq point.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
As has been suggested you can get an extender kit which gives you the T piece and a length of Jose with connector attached to connect to a Propane bottle which would stand next to your van.
Obviously go for the biggest bottle you can next to the van and it'll be more cost effective, we use a 19kg calor but have used 13kg in the past but you do see some vans connected up to a 47kg.

You'd have to either sign up to a calor agreement which is not cheap or even though bottles are in short supply they still come up regularly on local buy/Sell pages, normally £5-15 for an empty bottle which you can then just swap for full.

We've used this system on and off for nearly 12 years depending how long we are staying on sites.

Hope you get sorted.

Shawn

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Most council yards will MOT a 7.5 tonner... held by who?

You won't be allowed to drive it if the vehicle has a 'dangerous or major problem' so stuck at MOT station!

A7AB752C-E057-47B9-8EA2-5FED50D85FF7.png

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Hi All,
We are full-time in one location in our RV and are close to running out of LPG!
So need to get an MOT to get out and fill up.
As it is our home we really need it to pass, someone has said that it could be held until fixed if any issues come up. Any suggestions or recommendations for mechanics or MOT centres in Hertfordshire??
One more question if I may...does anyone know of a company that would deliver LPG to the vehicle? I know homes have it delivered and wonder if that would be an alternative?
Any help gratefully received!

I have got one of the largest, (47ltr?) 5ft tall, PROPANE (which is the one you need as it does not freeze up AND you will be able to get exchanged in the future) cylinders, which is 3/4 full so very heavy, that I can sell you for £45,CASH (which will cover the deposit and gas I've paid for)
BUT, you will have to come and collect it from near Colchester OR I could deliver for about £15. Depending where in Herts you live?

You will need a new regulator/connector etc as I need the one I've got. (not sure what this 'connecter kit' consists of (never seen one) but, maybe it has one?

If your interested, PM me and we'll sort something out.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
This, works well, easy to fit and the connector fits UK propane bottles. No regulator is needed as it fits between the on board lpg tank and regulator, so just becomes an extension of the built in tank ……..

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
Emmac0023

Emmac0023

Free Member
Jul 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All,

Thanks again for all your help!!!
This, works well, easy to fit and the connector fits UK propane bottles. No regulator is needed as it fits between the on board lpg tank and regulator, so just becomes an extension of the built in tank ……..

<Broken link removed>
Going to try this to keep us going until we get the MOT sorted :)

Hertfordshire covers a huge area, your probably better off posting on https://www.rvoc.co.uk/forum/ also run by Jim , I'm sure someone on there will be able to help. 🙂 Bob.
Didn't know about this will check it out :) I'm just outside Stevenage.
I have got one of the largest, (47ltr?) 5ft tall, PROPANE (which is the one you need as it does not freeze up AND you will be able to get exchanged in the future) cylinders, which is 3/4 full so very heavy, that I can sell you for £45,CASH (which will cover the deposit and gas I've paid for)
BUT, you will have to come and collect it from near Colchester OR I could deliver for about £15. Depending where in Herts you live?

You will need a new regulator/connector etc as I need the one I've got. (not sure what this 'connecter kit' consists of (never seen one) but, maybe it has one?

If your interested, PM me and we'll sort something out.
Maybe in touch on this one, we have a small one, so will see how long that lasts first. But thank you so much for the kind offer.

Most council yards will MOT a 7.5 tonner... held by who?
So contact the local council and find out where they do there MOTs? good thinking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
So contact the local council and find out where they do there MOTs? good thinking.
Yes, I believe if they MOT their own vehicles they must offer the service to the public. I always took mine to a council depot in Suffolk. They don't do repairs so they aren't looking to fail it unless something is genuinely wrong.

OP
OP
Emmac0023

Emmac0023

Free Member
Jul 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes, I believe if they MOT their own vehicles they must offer the service to the public. I always took mine to a council depot in Suffolk. They don't do repairs so they aren't looking to fail it unless something is genuinely wrong.
Amazing thank you!

May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
How does the new "dangerous" fail type work at a council depot? Previously you could drive a failed vehicle if it was going to repairs or for a retest, but this new one effectively says it has to be fixed at that garage or trailered away.
(I agree about using council testers if they are close to you, I only thought about this potential issue whilst reading this thread now).

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Emmac0023 You could use a commercial garage if your RV is only 7.5t it's a class 4 mot the same as a car, we ran trucks many years ago in Hertfordshire, but no longer have contacts in that area, we then moved to Suffolk and used https://cowhams.co.uk/ they do coaches. 😁

The main man is Duncan but he is in Lincolnshire, but there's nothing he doesn't know about American RV'S. 😎 Bob.

Broken Link Removed

Screenshot_20211122-190618_Chrome.jpg

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
How does the new "dangerous" fail type work at a council depot? Previously you could drive a failed vehicle if it was going to repairs or for a retest, but this new one effectively says it has to be fixed at that garage or trailered away.
(I agree about using council testers if they are close to you, I only thought about this potential issue whilst reading this thread now).
I guess it would be on the back of a truck, I'd very much doubt staff at any garage/Mot station would police it mind.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Thinking after I pressed go, councils depots could be a different story.

May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
That's what I was thinking - it make the council depot quite high risk if you aren't confident that you'll pass, whereas a garage that performs repairs would have you as a captive customer but you would avoid (knowingly) breaking the law.

Obviously driving an unsafe vehicle to the test - or anywhere - is illegal too, but I'm assuming in that in this case you didn't know about the dangerous fault.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I'd very much doubt staff at any garage/Mot station would police it mind.

THAT is a very good question because, as I do most/all of my own maintenance, most of the MOT people I have spoken too, are adamant that should a vehicle fail because of a dangerous item, the vehicle must NOT be driven from the premises!
Could there be some severe penalty imposed on the MOT station IF this should occur??

Perhaps a MOT tester could enlighten us?? :unsure:

May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Dangerous you specifically can't drive it away, Major you can, though it is inadvisable as you are still technically driving an unroadworthy vehicle (though the specific fault may not affect your safety - e.g. a headlight not working won't matter too much driving it home to fix it in daylight hours).

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
It sounds like nonsense red tape, the vast majority of people wouldn't drive a vehicle away. If someone did let the garage phone the police, let them deal with it, not the garage owner.

What a thread drift😊

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I dont think Herts CC has a direct services MOT facility .

May 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanna
Exp
I’m a newbie
Have you tried Jacks hill motors near Gravely that’s near you ? Should find them on line somewhere. They do have big mot bays so they might help. As for LPG nearest garage is along the A505 or Buntinford.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
FYI
Mot test stations have No authority to stop you driving away after an MoT regardless of dangerous notice
However The do not drive notice is issued by DVSA automatically NOT the tester,
He personally may deem the fault ok to drive, but is unable to alter the fail criteria
if the system identifies a fault as dangerous its dangerous period.
It should be noted that the defects and notice are uploaded to the system automatically also immediately unless the system is off line.
Local Traffic cars with NPRS could identify you on the road same as no tax No Insurance as driving in defiance of the notice.
Advise the MoT station your vehicle is going else where for repair and ask the repairing garage to recover it, we would do that as a free service if local, and we are repairing RVs however require expensive recovery services

OP
OP
Emmac0023

Emmac0023

Free Member
Jul 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have you tried Jacks hill motors near Gravely that’s near you ? Should find them on line somewhere. They do have big mot bays so they might help. As for LPG nearest garage is along the A505 or Buntinford.
Yep first place I tried but they don't want to do it ☹️

OP
OP
Emmac0023

Emmac0023

Free Member
Jul 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
It sounds like nonsense red tape, the vast majority of people wouldn't drive a vehicle away. If someone did let the garage phone the police, let them deal with it, not the garage owner.

What a thread drift😊
No it's great when the thread drifts you learn so much!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back