Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
Hi Everyone,
We are travelling up to Rutland Water in our Motorhome on Tuesday for some cycling/walking and eating of course!
We have seen a site online called Lyndon Top Caravan Park that looks good. Grass and no EHU but that isn't a problem.
Anybody been there and could add a few comments about the place? We're always a bit concerned about grass and motorhomes getting stuck when wet although forecast is dry. Thanks

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Lyndon Top is fantastic. It's our favourite place in the UK to stop.

It's set up basically as a number of rally fields but single units are welcome. It's £7 per night.

It is very basic but that's part of the attraction for us. There are some fresh water taps dotted around and there are a couple of Elsan points but that's it. Your grey water goes in one of the hedges or planted areas.

There are no silly rules beyond be sensible and don't park too close to anyone else but the place is huge so you don't need to anyway unless you're in a group and want to.

I wouldn't worry about getting stuck, the guy that manages is (is it still Arthur anyone?) lives on site and has a tractor. It's pretty solid ground anyway so even if it's wet you shouldn't have a problem.

You're a mile and a half along the road from the village of Manton which has the Horse and Jockey pub with good beer and food. There's also a garden centre about half way along the road which I believe has a cafe.

If you go the other way, along the lake shore footpath you're about two and a half miles from the village of Edith Weston. The pub there is the Wheatsheaf which is good as well.

If you're feeling more energetic there are several more villages quite close together in that direction or cycling all round the lake (about 26 miles) is popular. It's pretty flat and mostly on paths rather than the road.

If it all sounds a bit too basic for you there is a C&CC CS on the same lane. I believe @hilldweller has stayed at that one recently so will be able to tell you more about it.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Yes it was Arthur just seven months ago, he took me all over the three fields including the lower field in his little off-road Gator or whatever. Couldn't have been more helpful.

Fabulous place to stop and still £7.00

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gloombusters

Gloombusters

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
Thank you Nicknic for your very informative reply. That's just what we needed to hear!
We'll make our way there Tuesday and looking forward to it.
We wild camp most of the time and large and sometimes noisy aren't our thing.
Thank you also Popeye.

Happy Motorhoming

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I second and third it is one of the best kept helpful sites we visit Arthur is a gem, nothing to much trouble, would not hesitate to recommend it.

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Anyone got any co-ordinates and a contact number?
Take it, it's a private site and not a M&CC or C& CC site, as we are not members of these clubs.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Anyone got any co-ordinates and a contact number?
Take it, it's a private site and not a M&CC or C& CC site, as we are not members of these clubs.

It's operated by Lakeland Estates. It's not a campsite in any conventional sense though - there are no marked pitches or anything like that.

You don't usually need to book, it's so big that there's always space. Just turn up and see Arthur, he'll tell you if there are rallies on and if so which fields to avoid and other than that it's park wherever you like.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
there are taps all over the ground, and two toilet emptying places with hose pipes for cleaning cassette, would highly recommend it, we have been using it for ten years, long before Arthur worked there, the grass used to be cut by a one armed Scotsman and Virgin balloons were owned by virgin, still take of there now and then(y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
And if you walk to the top of the field at Lyndon Top a short walk and a turn to the right takes you to the golf club where you will be welcome for food and drinks, quite good and reasonable. If you cycle around the lake take a map or put route on your phone cos there are a few options and you can go wrong as you have to leave the lake in a couple of places, there are normally trail maps on site, oh and the one armed Scottish guy was called Liam, but He was known as ‘Two Legs Liam’ cos he only had one arm.”:rolleyes:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
If your lucky,you can get a view like this for £7.00 a night
rutland.jpg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Hi Everyone,
We are travelling up to Rutland Water in our Motorhome on Tuesday for some cycling/walking and eating of course!
We have seen a site online called Lyndon Top Caravan Park that looks good. Grass and no EHU but that isn't a problem.
Anybody been there and could add a few comments about the place? We're always a bit concerned about grass and motorhomes getting stuck when wet although forecast is dry. Thanks
Love it.
I will be there on Thursday along with 90 other vans for thew Wildcampers rally.
I love that site it is cheap at £7 and basic but loads of fill points and a few toilet drops scattered around. You can visit the bar at the golf club next door if so inclined. It is flat at the top ans a slope towards the lake on the other side. Good solid base to park on with no problems of mud.
Good reviews from those that have been. The other site opposite is dearer by a long way and not as used. See you there?????

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It's a 5 van CS.

Of course it won't be used as much as 112 acres of rally fields.
I have only EVER seen one van in there. I thought it had the capacity for more than that though.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I thought it had the capacity for more than that though.

Lot's of CL/CS places have the capacity for far more than 5 units.

I'm sure none of them ever break the rules though :whistle:

Rutland Rover

Free Member
May 20, 2017
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I am a newbie
It's a beautiful morning here in Rutland, the sun is shining, it's 20° and it looks like being a good week.

We usually take a wander over to the Wheat Sheaf at Edith Weston on a Friday evening so may see some of you there over the summer.

Hope your journey is ok and that you don't spend too long in the road works on the A14.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Of the four Wheatsheaf pubs around 'ere. The best, by far, is the Wheatsheaf Inn at Greetham.

I know I'm spoiled to live and work in this county :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Of the four Wheatsheaf pubs around 'ere. The best, by far, is the Wheatsheaf Inn at Greetham.

I know I'm spoiled to live and work in this county :)

I'm sure you're right but it's not exactly convenient on foot from Lyndon Top is it (y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm sure you will like it at Lyndon Top.
Yes Arthur was still there Easter, I'm not sure if he has been ill, as it seems as if he has lost his hair!
If you like Chinese I can recommend Wings in Uppingha, about five miles away.

OP
OP
Gloombusters

Gloombusters

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
Thanks to all that replied to my request for info on Lyndon Top. We are here now and it truly is a magnificent place. We have a beautiful view and there's everything. Cycling and walking etc. Booked in for a week £49. That can't be bad! Very helpful pleasant staff also. I can see us returning here.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I'm sure you will like it at Lyndon Top.
Yes Arthur was still there Easter, I'm not sure if he has been ill, as it seems as if he has lost his hair!
If you like Chinese I can recommend Wings in Uppingha, about five miles away.
Arthur has had Pneumonia been laid up for a while(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back