Rusty Water Stain on Rocker Cover (1 Viewer)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I always clean under the bonnet and do a final check for any drips, leaks or potential dribbles etc. Last time Brunhilde was washed was just before our Dumfries & Galloway mini tour on 24th July when all was spick & span.

We've been back home just over a fortnight, since when Brunhilde has not moved. In the fading light, I began the under bonnet clean and check and noticed a now bone dry rusty water stain, about 75mm long and 15mm wide on the Rocker Cover. Stupidly I wiped it off before I took photos, but even after the cleaning, there is still a trace of the stain. The drip must have occurred on the drive home from Loch Doon, during a torrential storm, but it cannot be splash related.

The only difference from normal was that I was having to really open the throttle to keep a decent speed into a headwind, so I wonder whether the [slightly overfilled on delivery from the Dealer] coolant escaped from the system somewhere whilst being driven so hard,or whether there is a more sinister problem lurking. Brunhilde is a touch over 5 years old on a Jun 16 plate and has covered 11046 miles from new, 2270 of them since we bought her on 21st April 2021.

The coolant reservoir still looks slightly over full, and there is no sign of any leakage or tell tale dribble stains or runs from any of the hose clips in the vicinity of the stain. The 'dropping zone' for the water looks to be directly under the hose shown in the lh picture but the funnel/entry looks like a drainage channel rather than part of the sealed coolant system.

Any thoughts or advice will be gratefully received.

Steve
Engine Bay Rust Water Stain 3.jpg
Engine Bay Rust Water Stain1.jpg
Engine Bay Rust Water Stain2.jpg
Engine Bay Rust Water Stain2.jpg
Engine Bay Rust Water Stain1.jpg

OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Water from the windscreen scuttle over flowing ?
Thanks, Clive. Does that mean it's nothing to worry about? Is the scuttle the plastic channel that contains the hose that's clipped to the underside, and which seems to gather water every time the m/home is washed, even though the drainage channels at each side ot the engine bay are free of debris and dead leaves etc?

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I get that same. If you lift up the rubber seal running along the bulkhead (forward edge of the water drain off channel, you’ll probably find it rusty), nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I get that same. If you lift up the rubber seal running along the bulkhead (forward edge of the water drain off channel, you’ll probably find it rusty), nothing to worry about.
Thanks, Chazzer. I've still got some more cleaning to do before we leave for our maiden CAMH Rally, so I'll have a poke around in the daylight. I spent too long up a precariously balanced pair of steps adjoining the A921, cleaning all the muck off the roof and the solar panels today, so it was too dark to do much tonight!

Steve

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Check scuttled drain pipe rubber hose is connected to the scuttle spigot. And scuttle drain pipe isnt blocked my work van soon gets blocked if park under trees

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Yes Steve, as said above drain holes/pipes may be blocked. So nothing to worry about too much. Some have a toggle in them. Enjoy your rally.

OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Checked the Offside and Nearside Drainage channels and water pours through freely and quickly, so no blockages. The middle drainage hole that has a spigot with the large diameter tube clamped to it, has about a metre of hard plastic casing attached [it shows in at least 2 of the 3 photos] and is joined/connected about 1/2 way down [looks like an aircleaner breather system!] before it disappears into the front of the offside wheelarch, quite high up [going from 'feel' rather than vision.

3 observations/queries; firstly, water travelling from offside towards the nearside drain hole [i.e. the 2 outer drains], skirts the central drain hole, with very little actually entering the centre drain hole [this is the one that sits slightly to the left and down from the nearside windscreen wiper mounting nut in the photo]; secondly, is it intended that water should enter the central drain hole spigot to which the damn great plastic casing is attached? Thirdly, will I do any harm pouring water down the central drain hole, given that I cannot see where the pipe enters the offside wheel arch?

I should add that the vehicle is parked on the street and there is a tidy camber, with the m/home offside being about 10cms higher than the nearside [but the windscreen scuttle still has a flat enough plateau to stop water running at speed from left to right as I view the vehicle from the bonnet front!].

Thanks in advance for any further information that Funsters can provide.

SteveEngine Bay Rust Water Stain 3.jpgEngine Bay Rust Water Stain1.jpg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This used to be a serious problem on the X250 model Ducato (and sister builds) however the X290 doesn't seem to suffer the same. If you search on "windscreen scuttle" you'll fine a number of threads.
The water would enter through the central joint and drip onto the plastic engine cover and then "drain" into the glow plug recesses underneath with resultant rusted \ faulty glow plugs. Bu**er to replace!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back