Jan 24, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all

I purchased a new to me 2006 Adria Twin a couple of years ago. It had a bike rack on the back, but I don't have a bike so I took off the rack leaving to the two support rails in place. I thought this wouldn't be a problem, but, where the rails go round the corner of the door they have gone rusty. The rust is really quite bad and it's running down and staining the paintwork.

At one stage I thought of putting the rack back on, but it won't cover these wrap around parts!

What I'm wondering is:

Should I take the rails off the van? But then the holes that were drilled in the rear door will be exposed!
Or, should I clean up the rust, how??!!! and then paint it with something?

Anyone experienced this before??

Thanks

Yvonne

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi all

I purchased a new to me 2006 Adria Twin a couple of years ago. It had a bike rack on the back, but I don't have a bike so I took off the rack leaving to the two support rails in place. I thought this wouldn't be a problem, but, where the rails go round the corner of the door they have gone rusty. The rust is really quite bad and it's running down and staining the paintwork.

At one stage I thought of putting the rack back on, but it won't cover these wrap around parts!

What I'm wondering is:

Should I take the rails off the van? But then the holes that were drilled in the rear door will be exposed!
Or, should I clean up the rust, how??!!! and then paint it with something?

Anyone experienced this before??

Thanks

Yvonne
Do you have a photo my worry would be the rust is from the door where the holes are drilled rather than the bracket might be best to get it off and see whats behind . You could then either get the bracket back to bare metal and paint it before refitting to neatly cover the holes or just put blanking plugs in depending on the condition of the door.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pengy

pengy

Free Member
Jan 24, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for your quick reply! I've just taken three photos with my phone. One is of the left hand side, which is really rusty. The right hand side looks like it's just starting to go rusty. For the other photo I opened the door and took a photo of where the rail goes round the back of the door. I took photos of the top rail, but the bottom rail is in the same condition... left hand side.jpg rear of door.jpg right hand side.jpg I do think that it is the bracket....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Those are clamp on brackets and usually have no screws into the van take of the plastic caps and you'll see the clamp screws or bolts to slacken of to remove
If there are screws into the door as added security I would put new pan head self tappers back in the holes with some sealent and then touch up with matching paint

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pengy

pengy

Free Member
Jan 24, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you!! I shall tackle it this weekend. It would be really good if no holes were drilled into the van. I shall find out!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pengy

pengy

Free Member
Jan 24, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thought I would update! Only the top rail is attached to the door by bolts as well as the clamp brackets, so that is good news. I decided to get new brackets (£7.50) rather than trying to fill the holes left by removing the bolts. Now I know they can rust I will be protecting them!

Thank you again for your help!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back