Running Naked

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by RS_rob, Jun 30, 2014.

1. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Ratings:
    +674
    Went for a Run Naked Today :p

It was Just a Trial :censored:

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

"I whipped it off" the pipe that is & ran to work without the filter Air that is

go on groan if you must but Ive done it before & had no issues what so ever however if the pipe was behing the wheels id certainly think twice.

So my quick test on my Boxer 97 2.5 results are:
    A definite improvement in power, where I join the M25 to go to work its a progressive uphill run & I have learnt to not engage 5th as it always results in a drop to 40mph & a change to 4th to avoid breaking the speed limit.
    An early change into 5th today & She held speed for loger & started to drop a bit but hampered by a slow moving truck meant a drop to 4th to get round him & that was the only change I made on the way to work.

An Unexpected return to home this evening produced the same results holding speed better & less change downs on the hills in fact none.

I will repeat the test tomorrow on my way back to work but I can report a definitive improvement & have already worked how to make this result permanent.

So watch this space (y)

• Like it Like it x 1
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +28,035
    brave man........

a turbo spinning at 150000rpm, yes really, will last milliseconds if ANYTHING gets in the inlet tract.

3. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

Ratings:
    +704
    The dust in the air will destroy your bores and pistons over time,
    Totally false economy !
    Use a K/ N air filter or equivalent but not a open inlet,

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +25,860
    I must confess I am very sceptical and suspect any improvement was imaginary. The only way to prove it would be to put the vehicle on a rolling road and try with and without air filter. However, if removing the air filter really did lead to a noticeable improvement in performance then either the air filter needed changing and was almost clogged or there is something wrong with the engine management system. :)

5. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Ratings:
    +362
    It certainly seems a risky thing to do. At the end of the day manufacturers don't fit them for fun. I'm betting on them knowing what they're doing.