Running in a diesel (1 Viewer)

birdvan

Free Member
Apr 30, 2009
Funster No
Hi all have bought a secondhand van (Duetto) that has only done 1400 miles and not certain how to drive it, used to petrol engines. It has a ford 2.4 140 ps engine. The ford handbook says not too fast and do not labour engine, not over detailed. The rev counter has a green band 1500 to 3000 revs, which seems to suggest keep engine in this rev band. It seems happy at 1500 revs and presume this would provide best economy, any comments welcome.

All best Birdvan

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Drive it as you would any vehicle, this day and age running in is almost unheard of,Vehicles today are ready to perform straight out of the box, the engineering tolerances are far greater than they ever were, In laymans terms the engines are to day built half worn out, thats how they get good MPG, (please dont take that comment too literally)
Don't molly coddle the engine or you will never get it to perform to is best
simply dont thrash it and dont labour it, drive normally.
MPG figures will slightly improve as things settle in:thumb:
Regards Geo

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
1500 to 3000 revs is the most economical operating range for a your engine.

Medium and heavy acceleration below 1500 revs, except in first gear, is labouring your engine.

It makes little no difference to the amount of fuel you use if you are in 2nd or 3rd at 20 mph.
However, your engine is probably a smidgen happier between 2 and 3000 revs because the water and oil pumps, and alternator are working efficiently.

If I'm slowing down, I reckon to change from 5 to 4 at 40 mph.
4 to 3 at 30mph.
3 to 2 at about 20mph
I change 2 to 3 at 30 mph when accelerating, eyc.

I drive that way to get better engine braking, which helps me keep below the speed limit, which helps me cheat the Gov out of tax.
Diesels are not noted for their engine braking.

I'm happy to cheat the gov out of Fuel Tax at the same time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my pickup handbook, from new, stated.... dont over-rev or labour the engine for the first 500miles.....use the gearbox as well, it will appreciate a bit of settling.....no good driving everywhere in 4th and 5th...1st,2nd and 3rd will get jealous.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back