Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I seem to remember a thread on this.

As a generalisation UK MoHos switch off the hab electrics when engine running?
Continental MoHos leave hab electrics alone.

But, what happens when you start your engine whilst on EHU, say to get the engine warm.? I assume (always dangerous) that the various relays and charger electronics don't allow any damage?

Thanks

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
On our 2004 Hymer it was a big NO to do this

We had a flat van battery on site and had to start the onboard genny, then the engine on our 2004 Hymer. It knackered both the mains charger, supplementary charger and electroblock.
Was told by the countries leading Hymer expert never to start the engine whilst on hook up, as this could happen, boy did we learn the hard way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
when starting mine whilst at home & plugged in plus the solar was always on during the day as we have sun 99% of the days. never had a problem

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
So the answer is then, on some vans it is fine to do but on others not, certainly not fine on a 2004 Hymer S820.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On our 2004 Hymer it was a big NO to do this

We had a flat van battery on site and had to start the onboard genny, then the engine on our 2004 Hymer. It knackered both the mains charger, supplementary charger and electroblock.
Was told by the countries leading Hymer expert never to start the engine whilst on hook up, as this could happen, boy did we learn the hard way.
Why did you have to fire up the generator if you had hookup? Or didn't the site have hookup.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
On my swift it flashes warning lights and sounds a buzzer.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Can only comment on past and present UK motorhomes - never owned a continental.
When turning the ignition key to the point that the dashboard lights up - the control panel on the habitation side normally powers down. When starting the engine whilst still connected to a mains supply same as Lofty1 above we get a buzzer going off.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I’m with gus-lopez on this, while parked up for the winter in Spain on ehu with 300watts of solar I start the engine once a month to give it a run an I’ve not had a problem in three years. Hobby 700.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Can only comment on past and present UK motorhomes - never owned a continental.
When turning the ignition key to the point that the dashboard lights up - the control panel on the habitation side normally powers down. When starting the engine whilst still connected to a mains supply same as Lofty1 above we get a buzzer going off.

Steps still down?

I have never even thought about it in our N&B Arto(2003) and there is nothing in our very comprehensive Owner's Manual.

We have a Schaudt EBL charger and panel and had no problem.

Geoff

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
The possible problem that may affect some vans and not others is dependant on the state and age of the batteries. When starting heavy current is drawn fron the starter battery, if the mains charger charges both leisure and engine the wiring/charger may try to supplement the current drawn from the starter battery. The wiring is not able to cope with this heavy demand nor is the charger,

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But, what happens when you start your engine whilst on EHU,

Provided you get the paperwork right all the excess electricity from the alternator will be sold to National Grid at about £1 per unit.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
if you have a cheap 'battery master' style unit in your van then starting it on ehu will fry it

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
What about HGVs who need to get their vacuum pressure up?
If they can't do that within 3 minutes they are defective and shouldn't be on the road.

A few minutes is neither here or there for idling an engine, but if you're leaving it idling until it's warmed up, Lenny is right, it's one of the worst ways to treat an engine. Should be driven gently but under load until at normal operating temperature.

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Thanks for the advice all. I take the point about just warming the engine and will avoid having the EHU on - just in case.
Cheers

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
You should never start a modern diesel and leave it on tickover, should be started and driven off straight away.
If they can't do that within 3 minutes they are defective and shouldn't be on the road.

A few minutes is neither here or there for idling an engine, but if you're leaving it idling until it's warmed up, Lenny is right, it's one of the worst ways to treat an engine. Should be driven gently but under load until at normal operating temperature.

This idea of regular warming of the engine being of benefit is totally misguided and in a modern engine not necessary, however,it’s a great way of bunging up your Particulate Filter that subsequently leads to the Limp Mode experience.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back