Running away early. (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2019
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 99 plus
Exp
since 2019
I am off to spain on wednesday to avoid any complications of a no deal B word. I have 2 dogs and if there was a no deal, then i wouldnt be going. (Blood test for dogs, then a 3 month wait before travelling to the EU).
To cut a long story short, i have had my MH for 6 weeks and done a few trips but now i am doing a 3 month trip to Spain, driving from Roscoff. I am a seasoned car driver to the France but a novice MH driver.
I have all the usual guff and nonsense, light bulbs, breathalyser, Hi-vis, triangle etc. Green card, IDP, breakdown.
Is there anything else i need to take to make my life easier or to avoid any snags that more seasoned (not olde) drivers have experienced. Look forward to all the sensible replies!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you don’t already have them.....

ACSI book and card for “off season” discount on camp sites
Camper Contact App to help find camp sites, Aires and sundry parking places

as a minimum I would suggest.

Enjoy your trip.

OP
OP
ChazandZoe
Sep 11, 2019
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 99 plus
Exp
since 2019
We had pet passports already on the go, from last year, so were a bit shocked when the vet told us the 2nd blood test shenanigans and the fact that they were £140 each. We have decided that no matter how slim the chance is we need to get gone before the end of Oct or not go at all. Didnt know about the gas thing by the way.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
If you have a refillable gas system, you will need an adaptor. I dont think you need the breathalyser kits now. It's worth while getting the motorway tag, even if you dont use it much, it means you dont have to worry about being charged incorrectly.

OP
OP
ChazandZoe
Sep 11, 2019
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 99 plus
Exp
since 2019
Got the cable and also a 3 pin domestic one for borrowing leccy here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jadcoz

Free Member
Sep 6, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Duck tape, Torches, I seem to use oodles of that velcro on a roll for securing things etc , Bungee clips, Laundry bag, Lighters, rubber drinks coasters come in so valuable to stop thinks rattling against each other or wedging in over door! Extra rubber backed door mats for putting down on muddy ground before you get in, spare charger cables for phones ! That was fun actually sitting down and thinking what actually is really important tp pack that i have used lots of times :) safe journey

OP
OP
ChazandZoe
Sep 11, 2019
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 99 plus
Exp
since 2019
Jadcoz, a list of stuff which is invaluable, i am just picking up bits of string and card and rubber for all the rattles and squeaks, the shed has also been raided for anything really that might help.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you want to be strictly legal for Spain you need to carry spares spectacles if you wear them, two warning triangles and for France hi-viz waistcoats or jackets carried where they can easily be accessed, like door pockets.

You should take the original V5 registration document, I've been asked to show it in Spain.

I would also have copies of everything of course including passports.

Have a good trip! :)

OP
OP
ChazandZoe
Sep 11, 2019
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 99 plus
Exp
since 2019
Got French and spanish IDP. Will have copies of everything else and original V5.

Reactions: DBK

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Save a few grams payload, throw the breathalysers in the bin.
The law was recently revoked and hasn't been upheld for a number of years anyway.
Allegedly, the minister who introduced the law was a major share holder in a company manufacturing them.
It's not only our politicians who are corrupt

OP
OP
ChazandZoe
Sep 11, 2019
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 99 plus
Exp
since 2019
Just bought some gas adaptors.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We had pet passports already on the go, from last year, so were a bit shocked when the vet told us the 2nd blood test shenanigans and the fact that they were £140 each. We have decided that no matter how slim the chance is we need to get gone before the end of Oct or not go at all. Didnt know about the gas thing by the way.

I don't know if you've had your titre test results yet or not but you need to be aware that sometimes the dogs don't have sufficient antibodies and fail the test. In that case you need to start the process again.

HarryML

Free Member
Apr 15, 2018
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Miller Indiana
Exp
I don't know if you've had your titre test results yet or not but you need to be aware that sometimes the dogs don't have sufficient antibodies and fail the test. In that case you need to start the process again.
I too had the blood test etc prepared for the spring B date, I now am led to believe that that blood test remains in date and it’s just a “fit to travel” cert required no more than 10 days before travelling.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
ChazandZoe
Sep 11, 2019
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 99 plus
Exp
since 2019
My wife spoke to the defra people and if its no deal they would have to have this 'special"? bloodtest and dwell a pause of 3 months before proceding abroad.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Chargers for phones as we want you to sent pics and good parking places.
I have just found out that in Spain if you have yellow headlight glass you will fail the MOT although you won’t be having a test out there it must be law just done mine with toothpaste good luck.

Last edited:
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
My wife spoke to the defra people and if its no deal they would have to have this 'special"? bloodtest and dwell a pause of 3 months before proceding abroad.

I spoke to DeFRA and was told that Caspers existing (8 years ago) was no longer acceptable. UK vet wanted £160, I had him tested in France for 90E plus a new passport.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

Yes, but if they don't pass the titre test you will have to start the rabies vaccination process again, have the titre test and wait again before travelling. It could hamper your plans considerably.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I too had the blood test etc prepared for the spring B date, I now am led to believe that that blood test remains in date and it’s just a “fit to travel” cert required no more than 10 days before travelling.

Yes, the test just proves that the animal has sufficient antibodies. As long as you keep the vaccinations up to date there's no need to repeat it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back