Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
North East
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
since 2014
Hi, has anybody got a solution to a place for a rubbish bin. When we ordered ours I'd earmarked the cupboard below the fridge. Trouble is it took so long to arrive it came with a much bigger fridge and no cupboard. Thanks

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sorry, but I'd think it's impossible to say without knowing the layout of your van.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we keep a bag in the shower and a smaller bag by the sink for small bits like teabags. small bags go into the carrier bag and that gets replaced daily or every other day. if on a site that recycles, we run a 2 carrier bag system

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Sorry, but I'd think it's impossible to say without knowing the layout of your van.
And yet it is the burning question Ms Tiggs has challenged me to answer after our shakedown trip....

Ours is Autotrail Dakota.. Probably on the wrong forum ;)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
And yet it is the burning question Ms Tiggs has challenged me to answer after our shakedown trip....

Ours is Autotrail Dakota.. Probably on the wrong forum ;)
a waste bin is just a waste bin regardless of converter, they all take up valuable space and if screwed to a cupboard door, that is space permanently lost. a carrier bag can be moved out of the shower in a second

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
a waste bin is just a waste bin regardless of converter, they all take up valuable space and if screwed to a cupboard door, that is space permanently lost. a carrier bag can be moved out of the shower in a second
OP was asking for a place to put a bin - but I totally agree that in a small van, space - like everything else - needs to be multi-purpose.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
we keep a bag in the shower and a smaller bag by the sink for small bits like teabags. small bags go into the carrier bag and that gets replaced daily or every other day. if on a site that recycles, we run a 2 carrier bag system
To the same end, I bought 1000 carrier bags for not a lot of money, one a day and small enough to dispose of easily

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When I first got this MH I put a bin on the inside of the hab door. A bad idea as was always knocking it on going in or out. Now just a carrier bag in the kitchen area, heave in the next available bin.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have a dedicated box with a small bin which was built in the space behind the rear dinette seat. It's part of the van's design and certainly doesn't get in the way. Just wish I could buy small enough bags in the UK! No problem buying them in France so always buy a few packs at a time.

Denise

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
When we had our escape we used an old bin from a shredder, sat neatly behind a seat near the wardrobe door. Envied those with 'proper' bins on the door.
This van has a door bin, it is the right height for outside when the door is opened, bags were a nightmare to get out because of the shape, i side with the door shut the bin was too low to be comfortable to use.
It makes a great library though, ACSI etc fit in nicely.
Use a bin bag or old carrier bag on the wardrobe door handle, easy to remove and doesn't get forgotten about when leaving the van for a few days :Eeek:

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
image.jpeg

Small carrier bag or pedal bin bags are my favourite as I get rid of the rubbish every day or so. Larger bins can get smelly. I've got one of these and I fixed it to the end panel of the kitchen units next to the door into the bathroom. It fits in brilliantly as so small and doesn't get in the way. Not cheap at £26, bought it from the range, really well built and a place to keep the bin liners too.

Caron

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
New
I have a white plastic hanger that fits over any door and holds a carrier bag or bin liner. When not in use it folds up and lives in a drawer. You can buy them on Amazon

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Okay you lot ... prepare to have 'bin envy' .... I've got a big one!:D2

Its an old style rigid plastic bread bin that has 2 slots on the back so it can be attached to a wall etc - I've put a couple of screws into the rear of the lower wardrobe door in our camper (now used as a dog food, fizzy drink bottle larder etc) and the 'bin' simply hooks onto them, it takes large bags and I store the spares under it in a small black plastic 'net' (meant to be used with a baby buggy), it can easily be removed for washing if needs be and more importantly it keeps the contents away from the muzzles of our 3 dogs ... a carrier bag wouldn't stand a chance!

bin 1.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi, has anybody got a solution to a place for a rubbish bin. When we ordered ours I'd earmarked the cupboard below the fridge. Trouble is it took so long to arrive it came with a much bigger fridge and no cupboard. Thanks
I've got fridge envy ... swap you my bin and cupboard door for you fridge!!! :D

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
My Dakota has the bin on the inside of the hab door.

Ours has the fly screen which permanently covers the door when closed and I don't think is strong enough to hold a bin..

we ha e two spaniels so a hanging bag isn't an option and Ms Tiggs wants the bin 'in the kitchen' and doesn't want to give up a food cupboard on our longer trips..

I will keep pondering... I did wonder about a small one on the back of the service door behind the fire...but it might be dangerous I suppose...

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Ours has the fly screen which permanently covers the door when closed and I don't think is strong enough to hold a bin..

we ha e two spaniels so a hanging bag isn't an option and Ms Tiggs wants the bin 'in the kitchen' and doesn't want to give up a food cupboard on our longer trips..

I will keep pondering... I did wonder about a small one on the back of the service door behind the fire...but it might be dangerous I suppose...

You can get small counter top bins.

OP
OP
locsuna

locsuna

Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
North East
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
since 2014
fridge.jpg
Thanks for all the replies, carrier bag on door is good but don't have a suitable door, on the shower floor is no good as the fridge door is now nearly floor to ceiling.

Thinking about making a drawer under the dinette????

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
To the same end, I bought 1000 carrier bags for not a lot of money, one a day and small enough to dispose of easily

I hope you charge yourself the 5p for each one used.:)

Stick a hook somewhere & hang it on that. I use nappy sacks, which double up for the dog & toilet . Also have different size carrier bags if ecessary. But usually just throw the nappy sacks away every time I put stuff in them as soon as I see a bin.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We use one of the Kampa folding bins which normally sits between the drivers and passengers seat in our PVC. You can adjust the hight by how many of the leg sections you put together.
When its folded down flat and not being used it sits in the pocket on the back of the passenger seat. It sat outside when the weathers been decent.
We normally use it in the lower mode with small swing bin liners.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kampa-Fol...074287?hash=item1ec4c21baf:g:-0EAAOSww3tY5Usz

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Okay you lot ... prepare to have 'bin envy' .... I've got a big one!:D2

Its an old style rigid plastic bread bin that has 2 slots on the back so it can be attached to a wall etc - I've put a couple of screws into the rear of the lower wardrobe door in our camper (now used as a dog food, fizzy drink bottle larder etc) and the 'bin' simply hooks onto them, it takes large bags and I store the spares under it in a small black plastic 'net' (meant to be used with a baby buggy), it can easily be removed for washing if needs be and more importantly it keeps the contents away from the muzzles of our 3 dogs ... a carrier bag wouldn't stand a chance!

View attachment 161857
Blo*** he**! It's that big I see you've got to get an approved habitation service done on it!:p:giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Blo*** he**! It's that big I see you've got to get an approved habitation service done on it!:p:giggle:
Told you it was big ... dog tins take up a lot of room as do hubby's beer cans! :D

Didn't bother with the habitation for it this time round, it opens, closes and take the bags without a problem ... no point paying for someone else to try it for me ... I suppose they might have washed it though! :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That looks like quite a large expanse of exposed bin mountable storage, just this side of the fridge ;)
They're drawers, not doors ... could put a bin in it I suppose but as the drawers are the full width of the kitchen unit they are very wide and be a nuisance to have to keep opening/closing to put something in and at some point a shin would definitely get bashed on the corner followed by the expected expletives! :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
View attachment 161902 Thanks for all the replies, carrier bag on door is good but don't have a suitable door, on the shower floor is no good as the fridge door is now nearly floor to ceiling.

Thinking about making a drawer under the dinette????
You just HAD to show a picture of your lovely large fridge freezer didn't you ... you, YOU .... mean, mean muppet! :crying:

Have you got the small shopping bag in our van that is on the end of the kitchen unit below the lift up flap? If so you could always use that as your bin.

globecar.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Put it on the hab Door

Join us or log in to post a reply.